Discovery West: Mixed-Use Development Downtown By Skanska

Moore713

8 minutes ago, Texasota said:

If this is one or more of the fully vacant blocks between Lamar and Clay, then that would be excellent. Depending on how quickly they move of course. Take advantage of that Opportunity Zone!

Trying to see what lands  close enough  to be labeled " adjacent " that could be anything even four blocks away

• Like 4

I think the Lamar/Austin/La Branch/Dallas block is pretty much adjacent, and if they also picked up the weird shaped parking lot behind the Embassy Suites, then that's absolutely adjacent.

I'm hoping for those two, a portion of the Dallas/La Branch/Polk/Austin lot, and the vacant half of the Dallas/Austin/Polk/Caroline block. That could help connect Discovery Green to Green Street.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, cspwal said:

It sounds like these are the parking lots in front of Toyota center; if these are developed with ground floor bars and restaurants they will be packed before Rockets games and concerts

BEtxIlV.jpg 

According to HCAD, there's a couple of owners of these lots - Golconda owns about 2 blocks of parking lot (as well as a bunch of other blocks in SE downtown), while MIPS owns about 2 more blocks.  None of these parcels have a recent sale listed on HCAD; MIPS seems to have owned their blocks since 2006, and the name associated with MIPS parking on HCAD is a Dallas lawyer.  Golconda has been holding on to these parcels since 1989.  According to the WSJ, it's a Taiwanese firm that is Opicoil's real-estate arm.

It seems likely if it's 4 blocks that Skanska managed to get both of them to sell

Says only 1 city block... and states near Disco Green... and from a private citizen. 

My guess is Mips / Lawyer guy is likely the seller

• Like 4

Ah I read "4 sites" and "full city block" and mushed them together

The 3 MIPS holdings add up to 144,452 SF of land area, or about 13,420 square meters. That's missing 800 square meters (8600 SF or about 1/8 of a block)

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Nate99 said:

This is great. If the Marquette (?) tower opposite the Marquis and this get completed with more residential, and Brookfield's HC vision works out, that end of DT will be a really nice amenity rich neighborhood. 

Where are they putting the HEB? 😉

Has HEB made any full size stores that would fit on only one block?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, cspwal said:

Has HEB made any full size stores that would fit on only one block?

The new one they just did on Washington Ave would pretty much fit on one full block in downtown and work fine, sans frontage parking.

• Like 6

Is there any way the electrical/power station or whatever that's on block 277 can be moved/demolished anytime soon? Not sure how essential it is to the power grid in that location. It seems like a major waste of space, though I guess with all the surface lots around that area it's easier to start with those. Still, it's not ideal to see when walking from Discovery Green to Toyota Center.

• Like 8

10 hours ago, Moore713 said:

Does anyone have anything on this apparently they bought a block of land in Downtown  for 55 million 

Nevermind* found little more information 

Skanska has purchased four land parcels, including one full city block, totaling about 14,200 square meters in downtown Houston, USA. The seller is a private citizen. The total investment amounts to USD 55 M, about SEK 520 M.
Located adjacent to Discovery Green, these four sites are in Houston’s Central Business District and Skanska plans to develop a mix of office, multi-family and retail for the local community.

Link: https://news.cision.com/skanska/r/skanska-invests-in-land-in-downtown-houston--usa--for-usd-55-m--about-sek-520-m,c2934457

• Like 8

10 hours ago, asubrt said:

Is there any way the electrical/power station or whatever that's on block 277 can be moved/demolished anytime soon? Not sure how essential it is to the power grid in that location. It seems like a major waste of space, though I guess with all the surface lots around that area it's easier to start with those. Still, it's not ideal to see when walking from Discovery Green to Toyota Center.

It is probably very important for the grid - Toyota center by itself needs a lot of power - but I'm sure if Center point thought the block was worth enough, they would figure out a way to reroute the power.

Is there anyone here more familiar with power grids that could speak to how hard it is to move a substation like this?

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, cspwal said:

It is probably very important for the grid - Toyota center by itself needs a lot of power - but I'm sure if Center point thought the block was worth enough, they would figure out a way to reroute the power.

Is there anyone here more familiar with power grids that could speak to how hard it is to move a substation like this?

Austin got much of its Seaholm power station removed, but there is still a block-size piece of it there, despite being on land worth about twice as much as this land. Problem is that anywhere else you put it nearby is also going to cost a lot to acquire. It's really the price differential of the two land sites that has to be great enough to cover the cost of rerouting, plus some incentive.

I wonder if this could be consolidated with the station in Frost Town?

• Like 2

Perhaps somewhere between Midways East River project and Minute Maid.

There is an old site on Buffalo Bayou east of the old Elysian Viaduct that looks to be an old substation or something related to the power grid.

I don't know how far away a power station can be located to serve the east side of downtown, but with the Toyota center, GBCC, Minute Maid and all of the big hotels on that side of town I'm sure they have huge needs for power. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bobruss said:

Perhaps somewhere between Midways East River project and Minute Maid.

There is an old site on Buffalo Bayou east of the old Elysian Viaduct that looks to be an old substation or something related to the power grid.

I don't know how far away a power station can be located to serve the east side of downtown, but with the Toyota center, GBCC, Minute Maid and all of the big hotels on that side of town I'm sure they have huge needs for power. 

I think that's the Frost Town substation that H-Town was referring to.  It looks almost Victorian with riveted steel structures. 

• Like 1