Discovery West: Mixed-Use Development Downtown By Skanska

Moore713

w-hotels-logo-png-transparent.png

^^^ combine this absolutely gorgeous SKANSKA development with our forthcoming first W HOTEL... atop the houston first building... discovery green is slowly turning into a downtown urban masterpiece.  these new prospective developments shall turn the discovery green district into a downtown urban tourist destination.  HOUSTON, WE CAN NO-LONGER FIND A PROBLEM...

• Like 3

BIG's first Texas project 😍 that's awesome. I can't wait for all the lots behind this one to be built out. He's already familiar with Houston being that he was a visiting professor of architecture at Rice.

Edited by HoustonBoy

20 minutes ago, nate4l1f3 said:
Could the first pic of the renderings be an indication of the mentioned green space?

No, the trees to the left are Discovery Green and One Park Place is to the right. This other development (parks, retail, etc.) would be in the upper right corner which we can barely see from this perspective.

But I clearly can imagine there has to be some render of the master plan out there now, the way they are talking.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Triton said:

No, the trees to the left are Discovery Green and One Park Place is to the right. This other development (parks, retail, etc.) would be in the upper right corner which we can barely see from this perspective.

But I clearly can imagine there has to be some render of the master plan out there now, the way they are talking.

So obvious now that you point it out 🤦🏻‍♂️

• Haha 1

i still cant believe they are using BIG, I guess when you are a Swedish multi-billion dollar construction company / developer you can bring in that kind of horsepower.  They will no doubt have a master plan that unifies this with the rest of their properties. Knowing BIG / Skanska there will certainly be green space / natural elements in the other blocks.

Now we just need centerpoint to burry their substation and build a park on top of it....Hell even a parking garage would look better!

• Like 5

This is a huge step forward for downtown. The building is absolutely beautiful and it will have amazing unobstructed views. I do sense a missed opportunity, they could have incorporated a rooftop bar/ restaurant/ observation deck overlooking discovery green and the rest of downtown. Not complaining though 😅

• Like 6

Overall, I am very pleased but I am more nervous about the garage after seeing two new renders. Additionally, is this going to be a mullet? What does the back look like? The new render that teases the back view is a bit frightening. Are those blank walls? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, KinkaidAlum said:

Overall, I am very pleased but I am more nervous about the garage after seeing two new renders. Additionally, is this going to be a mullet? What does the back look like? The new render that teases the back view is a bit frightening. Are those blank walls? 

I'm sure it won't be blank walls. They have to rent the space...

Just now, H-Town Man said:

I'm sure it won't be blank walls. They have to rent the space...

These will be very narrow floor plates due to the lot. It could very well be that the back is hallway/elevator landing space for each floor. My sister lives at One Park Place but it has been almost two years since I've been there but the Embassy Suites will be very close to this tower. I hope you are right. Just voicing a concern. You can see in the new render that the texture seems to chance from glass wall to something else.

How much higher will it be than the ES?

In any case, seems ideal from a DG perspective, and the foot traffic in the park is still really good. Whatever goes in the lobby here has a very high visibility location, and the garage should do booming after hours business. 

• Like 5

29 minutes ago, Nate99 said:

How much higher will it be than the ES?

In any case, seems ideal from a DG perspective, and the foot traffic in the park is still really good. Whatever goes in the lobby here has a very high visibility location, and the garage should do booming after hours business. 

It seems to be slightly shorter or equal to One Park Place (518'), and considering the Embassy Suites is 242', I would say this one has 250'+ on the hotel. I think the tower is going to be 504', so it should have a pretty a huge presence in this part of the skyline.  

Also a prime retail location, it's almost necessary to have park facing retail. 

• Like 7

46 minutes ago, TheSirDingle said:

It seems to be slightly shorter or equal to One Park Place (518'), and considering the Embassy Suites is 242', I would say this one has 250'+ on the hotel. I think the tower is going to be 504', so it should have a pretty a huge presence in this part of the skyline.  

Also a prime retail location, it's almost necessary to have park facing retail. 

That would be prominent, especially from the park.  I was thinking of the question about the back side and wondering how much would show from the south.  

However tall, someone's office is going to hear kids screaming on the ES pool deck all summer.  I think the Aloft/811 Main block must have a similar dynamic, but it was more of a weekend party place, or at least that's my impression. 

Edited by Nate99
  • Like 5

5 hours ago, monarch said:

w-hotels-logo-png-transparent.png

^^^ combine this absolutely gorgeous SKANSKA development with our forthcoming first W HOTEL... atop the houston first building... discovery green is slowly turning into a downtown urban masterpiece.  these new prospective developments shall turn the discovery green district into a downtown urban tourist destination.  HOUSTON, WE CAN NO-LONGER FIND A PROBLEM...

Any news on this?

3 minutes ago, Twinsanity02 said:

With this and High Street residential (block 98) the views from the park, sidewalks, and hotels are going to be greatly enhanced. Now if only blocks 252,275, and 292 would go from surface lots to several highrises of the 50+ storey height. Icing on the cake. 

It's going to look good. DG has a really neat "bowl" feel to it. Since Skanska has the lot on the corner shared by this and and OPP (not sure which # that is), perhaps that one would fill in sooner rather than later. and more or less completely encircle the park. 

Add more development down toward Root square and the new Camden apartment and you've got a heck of a neighborhood.  

• Like 9

• The title was changed to Discovery West: Skanska Downtown Mixed-Use Development
2 hours ago, houstontexasjack said:

This leaves Baker Botts as the only law firm of Houston’s Big 3 not moving to a new tower in the next few years.

Just a matter of time. There’s a certain stench that permeates from their offices when the elevator door opens. That said, one shell has done a good job of staying competitive after Shell left.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

23 minutes ago, LBC2HTX said:

Just a matter of time. There’s a certain stench that permeates from their offices when the elevator door opens. That said, one shell has done a good job of staying competitive after Shell left.

Do they occupy the middle floors that noticeably have not switched over to LED bulbs? I have always wondered this, lol. 

1 hour ago, Avossos said:

@CREguy13

is this the big news you were referring to?

Yep! Or at least I hope this was big news...  no idea what is on tap for the remaining blocks, but looks like they may reveal more information later this year.  Having BIG involved is absolutely huge and gives us a lot to look forward to.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, urbanize713 said:

Do they occupy the middle floors that noticeably have not switched over to LED bulbs? I have always wondered this, lol. 

Hmm they’re on the upper middle floors, something like 30-42 (of 50). Their office are nice, you just get a whiff of retirement home  when you walk in. 

Edited by LBC2HTX
There vs their
  • Sad 1

The office building is part of Skanska’s larger plans for the Discovery Green area. In early2020, the developer andBIG completed a master plan for a 3.5 acre mixd-use district calledDiscovery West, which will includerestaurants retail and green space 

Know what block would be perfect for green space? 

The CenterPoint lot (Block 277), perfectly situated in between Discovery Green, Toyota Center, Hilton Américas, and 1550 On The Green. Abandon the sparsely used Crawford St and you could probably extend the Pappasito’s to have patio that opens up to the park. This lot have become too valuable based on its proximity to many things.

What are the chance CNP buries or relocates it’s transmission facilities to allow for development here?

Edited by tigereye
  • Like 2