Discovery West: Mixed-Use Development Downtown By Skanska

Moore713

god those renderings are SEXY!  I love how they have segmented the building into targeted tenant chunks.  The semi-open garage is going to be interesting, that is always a tricky element on podium towers so hopefully the detailing will pay dividends. 

I cant help but see this a a major contrast against what is to me a bland Hines Block 58.  I know the location is very different and drives the design to an extent but I can see this building commanding higher rents than the other vanilla ice cream recent downtown projects (including their owner cap tower).

• Like 5

11 hours ago, HtownWxBoy said:

It's amazing how much this part of Downtown has changed / continues to change with the help of Discovery Green.  When I moved here in 2002 I wouldn't even consider walking by this area... now it's my neighborhood. 

DG.jpg

Is that a helipad in the park?

Wonderful to see this area get built out, gives me hope for the other oceans of asphalt in downtown.

• Like 6

On 5/24/2021 at 9:31 PM, HtownWxBoy said:

It's amazing how much this part of Downtown has changed / continues to change with the help of Discovery Green.  When I moved here in 2002 I wouldn't even consider walking by this area... now it's my neighborhood. 

DG.jpg

My God! Imagine how people who hate everything in Houston now musta felt back then. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

25 minutes ago, Response said:

My God! Imagine how people who hate everything in Houston now musta felt back then. 

I knew the family owners of the building and business (a pest control chemical company) at the corner of Jackson/Polk to the south of the convention center that had been there for decades.  It was frequently robbed and wasn't anywhere anyone wanted to be. It's around the Hilton's loading dock area now.  

The whole convention center/DG area transformation since the early 80's is mind boggling. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, wilcal said:

This was just posted in the bicycle advisory committee infrastructure meeting. Staging for this project is going to block the bike lane so a temporary bike lane is going to be made, and the developer is going to pay for the temporary polk st segment to become permanent in addition to restoring it along lamar/crawford after construction.

26 month construction for the project and the start is imminent. Temp bike lane going in as soon as next week.

KPLharx.png

They're putting up a temporary bike lane for construction blockage? That's insane! It's like someone, somewhere treats the bike lanes as actual transportation infrastructure . . .

• Like 8

On 5/24/2021 at 9:31 PM, HtownWxBoy said:

DG.jpg

And who could forget the Texaco/Havoline Grand Prix of Houston... (from Wikipedia)

Houston_CART_circuit_transparent.png

Sounded like a bunch of angry bees during practice the week or so before.

• Like 8

16 minutes ago, mollusk said:

And who could forget the Texaco/Havoline Grand Prix of Houston... (from Wikipedia)

I could hear those “bees” from my house in Montrose. I watched a bit of the race from the comfort of a nearby parking garage. 

Edited by MidCenturyMoldy
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, MidCenturyMoldy said:

I could hear those “bees” from my house in Montrose. I watched a bit of the race from the comfort of a nearby parking garage. 

We watched the race from our balcony over Crawford at Franklin and at the beginning of the race one of the jet squadrons flew right down Crawford and shook our windows like they were going to fall out. The cars would come right down Crawford and during the week they practiced on the raceway and it did sound like bees the whole week. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, mollusk said:

Houston_CART_circuit_transparent.png

Maybe I'm just used to the much more intricate F1 layouts, but that seems like a pretty lame race track (as far as turns go; a Downtown Houston race would be awesome to watch for the location/scenery).

• Like 3

5 hours ago, HouTXRanger said:

They're putting up a temporary bike lane for construction blockage? That's insane! It's like someone, somewhere treats the bike lanes as actual transportation infrastructure . . .

I was thinking the same thing! Finally some attention to pedestrians

• Like 5

11 hours ago, asubrt said:

Maybe I'm just used to the much more intricate F1 layouts, but that seems like a pretty lame race track (as far as turns go; a Downtown Houston race would be awesome to watch for the location/scenery).

I, for one, would love to see a Houston F1 GP combining parts of downtown with Memorial/Allen. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Urbannizer said:

Here's some positive news to end the night-(or to start your morning).

https://news.cision.com/skanska/r/skanska-invests-usd-225m--about-sek-1-9-billion--in-the-office-development-project-1550-on-the-green,c3373477

It is good news. I assume the three blocks mentioned are the surface parking lots flanked by Austin and LaBranch streets near  Discovery Green.