Discovery West: Mixed-Use Development Downtown By Skanska

Moore713

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/2/2021 at 12:05 PM, Montrose1100 said:

We have the most boring and safe architecture. The rest of the world gets something new and exciting and we here in Cowtown yell at it to get off our lawn. DARN KIDS.

The folks in Tel Aviv complain about their architecture all the time. Last time I looked, they had 200 skyscrapers going up and all variations on a theme....

ROM_TLV_02.jpg

• Haha 5

I get it. People just like to b¡tch. I realize that this is the exclusive purpose for which the internet was created. But it's odd that there would be a forum dedicated to Houston Architecture if EVERY building in Houston was safe and boring. Even odder to want to be a moderator of that website.

It would be like a homophobe moderating a gay booty call site.
Fascinated and disgusted at the same time?

🏳️‍🌈

But i'm not judging. Everybody has bad days and over reacts every now and then. Except me. Just kidding. I over react all the fcking time. 🙃

I like this building just fine. No it isn't perfect. But the pluses far out weigh the negatives IMO. 

1. Adds some height to this part of DT

2. Completely covers up the worst side of the Embassy.

3. I happen to love glass buildings ever since I first saw the Towering Inferno burn up when I was a baby. 

4. Makes DiscoGreen just that much nicer. 

5. Roof (whichever building) has multi levels and/or slopes. Not all flat like most. This building has at least some drama to it. 

1550-on-the-green-01.jpg

Now look at who's posting blah blah. Don't read this.

Edited by Response
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Response said:

I get it. People just like to b¡tch. I realize that this is the exclusive purpose for which the internet was created. But it's odd that there would be a forum dedicated to Houston Architecture if EVERY building in Houston was safe and boring. Even odder to want to be a moderator of that website.

Animated GIF

I'm just kidding around Response. I'd much rather Houston have a healthy stock of safe and boring than sad and ugly.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Response said:

It would be like a homophobe moderating a gay booty call site.
Fascinated and disgusted at the same time?

🏳️‍🌈

But i'm not judging. Everybody has bad days and over reacts every now and then. Except me. Just kidding. I over react all the fcking time. 🙃

I like this building just fine. No it isn't perfect. But the pluses far out weigh the negatives IMO. 

1. Adds some height to this part of DT

2. Completely covers up the worst side of the Embassy.

3. I happen to love glass buildings ever since I first saw the Towering Inferno burn up when I was a baby. 

4. Makes DiscoGreen just that much nicer. 

5. Roof (whichever building) has multi levels and/or slopes. Not all flat like most. This building has at least some drama to it. 

1550-on-the-green-01.jpg

Now look at who's posting blah blah. Don't read this.

If you squint, tilt your head to the right, spin around three times, hop on one leg, and say "Hines" four times into a mirror it sort of looks like there's a supertall peeking out from behind the building. One can dream.

• Haha 5

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, tangledwoods said:

Skanska has a prebid meeting on May 3rd.  you might see some more renderings if you attend.  Just make sure you tell them you are a contractor interested in bidding not a nosy internet forum troll.

https://media-exp1.licdn.com/dms/image/C4E22AQHOmYBT7rHhfg/feedshare-shrink_2048_1536/0/1619122278382?e=1622073600&v=beta&t=ZvCqgdqJipRD60diV9pJUPT01X_NeS86-cw2DZ9jjfw

Austin Powers Doctor Evil GIF

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

• 3 weeks later...
12 hours ago, TheSirDingle said:

👀 👀 👀 👀 👀 👀 👀

Tie Backs (for reinforcing retaining walls) and Soldier Piers (For load spreading for the foundation I think)1984736778_opopopopopqwe.PNG.f8b6869b13ba85a38682b8721cfc0817.PNG

Air Rights:

25987318_opopopqwe.PNG.42ecd3f125902dd91b68f3c9003f326f.PNG

List after April 1st 

229770913_opiopiopiopiopqwe.PNG.4761d7d9423e326fc436dec3114db8c5.PNG

I don’t think I’ve ever seen air rights be referenced on a Houston permit. Why would that be a thing without zoning? 

• Like 1

Oh that's what they've been building? It's been there as an open square since last week but my wife and I thought it was going to be an art installation or something.. Pretty cool this is a sign of this project moving ahead after all.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, MarathonMan said:

Quick question:  Are these mock-ups required to be displayed?  If so, why?

I think it's something done to validate designs onsite. Essentially to make sure the designs work if there's any strange lighting or odd conditions at the site that weren't accounted for in the design process and could affect how the building looks.

• Like 4

1. this is going to be a tricky building to build
  2. that floor plan makes sense but hot digidty that is about 13lbs in a 10lb bag
  3. skanska stock is at pretty much an all time high, they got money so might as well pump it into houston
  4. I wonder if part of their underground work will be future connectivity to their other block to the north
  • Like 3

They have put together an all-star team of design, hopefully this bodes well for what they think of the Houston market and any other holdings they have *ahem* Montrose *ahem*.

The design, given the space its working with (can it be any tighter?), has been growing on me and I'm at the point now where if they choose the right glass it could be stunning. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, j_cuevas713 said:

I feel like Embassy Suites is going to remodel their facade soon. They’re going to be the ugly kid on the block if they don’t do something. 

"Going to be" as opposed to "is?"

• Like 3
  • Haha 3