Discovery West: Mixed-Use Development Downtown By Skanska

Moore713

17 hours ago, tangledwoods said:

Fun Fact of the day back in the 90s there was a large regional contractor named Beers Construction (bought by Skanska).  Back in the day Hoar and Beers at a Joint venture and no one could decide which name would look less bad: Hoar and Beers or Beers and Hoar.

I love juicy tidbits like this. 🤣 Thank you!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/16/2021 at 10:32 AM, Nate99 said:

Sunbathing with hammering noises for a period, replaced thereafter by some dude in a cubicle. 

I don't know the protocol, but will they issue hardhats to anyone who ventures out onto the pool during construction? seriously though, would they even allow the pool to be open? 

4 hours ago, Urbannizer said:

https://www.1550onthegreen.com/neighborhood/

Tower 2 - Office

Tower 3 - Hotel & Residential

Does it look like they're going to close down part of Dallas St. for pedestrians?

This one alone looks great but the hotel/residential tower behind it is going to bring even more life to this end of downtown.

image.png.c1a3abe8d69c0d25f63636b898aebfff.png

• Like 7

I've lived in Dallas for the past 8 years, and the development in that time span has been nonstop. The big difference is the layout of Dallas and how uptown/deep ellum borders downtown. As a result a lot of the development that would of been going up in downtown ends up in these two neighborhoods creating a high density city look that stretches for miles.  

• Like 2

13 hours ago, H-Town Man said:

Very cool. Makes it look like they've acquired/are planning to acquire the piece they didn't own of the southernmost block.

Yeah, this picture surprises me. I thought they had failed to acquire that little piece of parking lot, and had acquired the lot to the west of that one, next to that residential building whose name escapes me at the moment.

13 hours ago, 79ta said:

Does it look like they're going to close down part of Dallas St. for pedestrians?

Looks to me like they are just repaving it and expanding the sidewalk, like the Houston Center did. In fact, if you look at the pick, you can see little cars still using the road. Its just that the sidewalk has been expanded and a lane has been lost.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On 12/28/2021 at 9:53 AM, Amlaham said:

Wow our downtown is really exploding. How is it doing compared to other cities like Chicago/ Dallas/ LA. Is this happening nationwide, or are we a little hot?

It's about the same as L.A., when adjusted for size.  It's slower than Chicago, again when adjusted for size.  Chicago has been issuing permits for three to five new buildings in the 25 to 115-story range each month of the pandemic.

I read the Chicago permits each month, and this is the first month in a very very long time when there hasn't been a filing for a new skyscraper.  If you'd like to keep up on the Chicago action, this is a good place to start.

Here's what's been moving through the permit process since October:

Most of the development in Chicago is residential these days because the city has spent the last decade-and-a-half luring corporate headquarters to town.  A bunch of big-name companies that left the city in the 60's through 80's have moved back, (McDonald's, Caterpillar, Walgreens, Hormel) and it's also bringing in corporate headquarters from other cities (Boeing from Seattle).

The influx of corporate headquarters spans multiple mayoral administrations.  It's the result of efforts by quangos with 30-year plans.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Looks like we’re finally going to start seeing traditional retail in the shopping district. I’m assuming those other two towers are going to start simultaneously based on the plaza layout. 

I think what makes us unique in Texas is our grid layout that expands well in to Midtown. I’m all for more buildings but the street presence is what makes it exciting. I’ve noticed our street presence is starting to really pick up. 

Edited by j_cuevas713
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, editor said:

It's about the same as L.A., when adjusted for size.  It's slower than Chicago, again when adjusted for size.  Chicago has been issuing permits for three to five new buildings in the 25 to 115-story range each month of the pandemic.

I read the Chicago permits each month, and this is the first month in a very very long time when there hasn't been a filing for a new skyscraper.  If you'd like to keep up on the Chicago action, this is a good place to start.

Here's what's been moving through the permit process since October:

To be clear, most of those stretch the limit of what one usually thinks of as "downtown Chicago" (and of course "moving through the permitting process" is very different from "under construction.")

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

To be clear, most of those stretch the limit of what one usually thinks of as "downtown Chicago" (and of course "moving through the permitting process" is very different from "under construction.")

Yes, and no.  Chicago has an official definition of "downtown" when it comes to construction, by virtue of having very strong zoning laws.  All of those are within the boundaries of "downtown" as redefined by city ordinance in 2020, or 2019.  I forget which.

All but one of those has gone through the Plan Commission, which is the last major bureaucratic hurdle to construction.  The 73-story building is already under construction.  The only thing left is a city council vote, though that has already come and gone for some of them.  The city council vote is a rubber-stamp process.  In the 19 years I've been following Chicago skyscraper construction, the council has only rejected one skyscraper. It was such an anomaly that it made headlines.

In summary, yes, these are "downtown" by both legal and cultural definitions.  And all but one has been approved by the parties that matter.

And it's worth reiterating that all of that activity is just in the last three months.

• Like 2