Downtown Watch Party

H-Town Man

With the Astros in the ALCS, I wish that there could be giant watch parties at Discovery Green, with a big screen, crowds of people, and food trucks. This sort of thing happens in cities all over Europe during big sporting events like World Cup/Euro Cup. It would be a huge draw for downtown similar to the Super Bowl/Final Four parties, and would be a much more interesting thing for them to show after commercial breaks than just the normal aerial shot of our skyline with no discernible streetlife.

I can think of a few reasons though why this hasn't happened and probably won't happen:

1. Astros might prevent due to worries that it would reduce upward pressure on ticket prices. Might circumvent this if done for away games only, replacing the lame watch parties they have inside Minute Maid during the World Series.

2. FOX and/or cable networks might forbid or charge exorbitant fees for showing their broadcast publicly.

3. Might attract a sea of rowdy people and cause damage to the park or require costly gates/fences and law enforcement. Are American crowds as civil as European crowds?

Despite these problems, it would be wonderful if somebody high up could figure out a way to make this happen. It is an idea whose time has come.

The astros are doing a watch party for all away games this post season, but at Minute Maid.  They have the game on the big screen, but they also have a screen in the park outside the stadium

It's free, but food/drink prices are still stadium pricing

10 minutes ago, cspwal said:

The astros are doing a watch party for all away games this post season, but at Minute Maid.  They have the game on the big screen, but they also have a screen in the park outside the stadium

It's free, but food/drink prices are still stadium pricing

Yeah, I remember seeing the stadium parties in previous years, but it is kind of a lame atmosphere being inside a mostly empty park. The park outside Minute Maid isn't really adequate for this on a large scale. Discovery Green would be the place to do it right.

Hopefully the Astros will create something like what's outside the AA Center in Dallas with the land they acquired close to MMP.

I did note the new Jones Plaza plans refer to the ability to accommodate large theater-style screens for events.

https://victorypark.com/victory-media-network/

2 minutes ago, H-Town Man said:

Yeah, I remember seeing the stadium parties in previous years, but it is kind of a lame atmosphere being inside a mostly empty park. The park outside Minute Maid isn't really adequate for this on a large scale. Discovery Green would be the place to do it right.

It was actually a great environment in 2017.

18 hours ago, HoustonMidtown said:

They do a smaller version of that by Lucky's Pub in EaDo....they have a big TV screen extended out the back of a semi trailer, the street is blocked off....etc

But Lucky’s Pub is an awful place. It’s dark, dingy, their deck is falling apart, and they charge way too much for drinks. I paid $7.50 for a Lawnmower pint there on Saturday when I met up with some friends for the Red River Rivalry game.

On top of that, my credit card got compromised there about five years ago—somebody behind the bar duplicated my credit card’s magnetic strip onto a blank card and went on a spending spree the next day in the Westchase area. When I spoke to a manager about it, he didn’t seem too concerned about it.

I would recommend avoiding that place if you can. If you absolutely have to go, bring cash.

19 hours ago, H-Town Man said:

I went to all of the away World Series watch parties at Minute Maid Park in 2017 and the atmosphere was awesome. I’m not sure how the ALDS and ALCS watch parties were but if we goto the World Series again I’ll definitely be going back.

video I took in 2017 the moment we won the title.

37 minutes ago, Nole23 said:

I went to all of the away World Series watch parties at Minute Maid Park in 2017 and the atmosphere was awesome. I’m not sure how the ALDS and ALCS watch parties were but if we goto the World Series again I’ll definitely be going back.

video I took in 2017 the moment we won the title.

It was definitely awesome in there when we won the World Series. I think it would have been more awesome outside in a place like Discovery Green, with the city all around you, the brisk air, and the party spilling into the streets. Unless there is substantial rain falling or temperature is above 95 or below 45, outside is always better than inside.

4 hours ago, thedistrict84 said:

But Lucky’s Pub is an awful place. It’s dark, dingy, their deck is falling apart, and they charge way too much for drinks. I paid $7.50 for a Lawnmower pint there on Saturday when I met up with some friends for the Red River Rivalry game.

On top of that, my credit card got compromised there about five years ago—somebody behind the bar duplicated my credit card’s magnetic strip onto a blank card and went on a spending spree the next day in the Westchase area. When I spoke to a manager about it, he didn’t seem too concerned about it.

I would recommend avoiding that place if you can. If you absolutely have to go, bring cash.

Wow - definitely not a good experience...

Ive never had any issues and thoroughly enjoy the place...

11 hours ago, H-Town Man said:

It was definitely awesome in there when we won the World Series. I think it would have been more awesome outside in a place like Discovery Green, with the city all around you, the brisk air, and the party spilling into the streets. Unless there is substantial rain falling or temperature is above 95 or below 45, outside is always better than inside.

Yea I've always thought Discovery Green would be a great place for watch parties. Only issue would be if they have them at Minute Maid also and they split the crowds, so it would need to be coordinated. Either way.... GO STROS!!

20 minutes ago, Tumbleweed_Tx said:

I'll ask the guys who set that stuff up if we can make that happen for the Series.

They have a projector and a large blow-up screen for movie night.

Someone remind me in the morning  :)

When the crew on FS1 closed out their broadcast just now (A-Rod, David Ortiz, etc.), the aerial coverage was zooming in on the Texas lazy river at the Marriott, and they were like, "We're all going swimming! Headed there!" Thought that was pretty cool.

Archived