Hard Rock Hotel Collapse

Damn that's not good. I always wonder how this type of thing doesn't happen more often with these incredibly complex large construction sites, since there are so many people working on them. I don't have much knowledge at all of the industry, but you would think that with hundreds of people working, there have to be at least one or two that are careless or don't do their job properly (as with basically occupation). Maybe one of our construction experts can provide a brief explanation on the oversight etc that keeps this everything done properly in the vast majority of the cases. 

PS this particular building has been going up for a long time I think, I've been to New Orleans a bunch over the past few years and I'm pretty sure I remember it being significantly above ground already about two years ago, but all the Bourbon Street nights may be clouding my memory a little bit. Doubt that has anything to do with the collapse, but it seems like a Block 334-esque pace.

• Like 4

Sadly, it's too late to prevent the loss of life and to undo the damage. Experts will be consulted, evidence will be studied, and theories put forth. 
I'm curious as to how closely construction projects are monitored. Video cameras and data storage have become incredibly cheap. If this isn't already being done, wouldn't it make sense to record construction via multiple cameras? In addition to being an aid in determining the cause of catastrophic collapses, video surveillance could also be used to verify that safety standards are being adhered to, and in loss prevention. 
Every time something like this happens there's the hope that maybe this time we can learn from our mistakes and that it will never happen again. Unfortunately that doesn't seem to be the case. That shouldn't stop us from seeking out the best possible safety record. If affordable modern technology can help, then it should be implemented.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, dbigtex56 said:

Sadly, it's too late to prevent the loss of life and to undo the damage. Experts will be consulted, evidence will be studied, and theories put forth. 
I'm curious as to how closely construction projects are monitored. Video cameras and data storage have become incredibly cheap. If this isn't already being done, wouldn't it make sense to record construction via multiple cameras? In addition to being an aid in determining the cause of catastrophic collapses, video surveillance could also be used to verify that safety standards are being adhered to, and in loss prevention. 
Every time something like this happens there's the hope that maybe this time we can learn from our mistakes and that it will never happen again. Unfortunately that doesn't seem to be the case. That shouldn't stop us from seeking out the best possible safety record. If affordable modern technology can help, then it should be implemented.

Hines uses a company using multiple pictures and video drones to verify the contractors are doing what the blueprints specify.

https://dronedj.com/2019/07/02/commercial-property-drone-technology/

• Like 2

15 hours ago, hindesky said:

Hines uses a company using multiple pictures and video drones to verify the contractors are doing what the blueprints specify.

https://dronedj.com/2019/07/02/commercial-property-drone-technology/

When I previously worked for a General Contractor here in Houston they used daily/weekly drone flights, and a Ricoh 360 cam with Holobuilder to document job progress.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Ross said:

@hindesky, how much would you charge to go up in the crane with the bent mast to help dismantle it? I am glad I am not involved in that project.

Someone is going to make a lot of money to demo this. Wouldn't have a problem going up there, those Liebherr tower cranes are solidly built.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 3 years later...

8/30

https://www.nola.com/news/business/hard-rock-collapse-case-heads-to-mediation/article_4202c80c-46ba-11ee-b561-63108bb1a451.html

"Attorneys for the families of three construction workers killed in the Hard Rock Hotel collapse, and hundreds of others who say they were injured or harmed in the catastrophic building failure, will meet this week with lawyers for the project’s developers, builders and insurance companies to begin working towards a settlement.

9/29

https://www.wwltv.com/article/news/investigations/david-hammer/osha-hard-rock-louisiana-da-jason-williams-case-new-orleans-collapse/289-2dfd7806-65af-46cb-8d2b-884225cc92c8

"The federal workplace safety agency, OSHA, is refusing to cooperate with a grand jury probe of the deadly 2019 Hard Rock Hotel collapse until it resolves a long-delayed civil dispute with the building’s lead engineer, a target of that criminal investigation.

Edited by editor
Edited due to copyright. Remember to summarize and link. Don't copy and paste.
  • Like 1