North Canal Project

Triton

• 5 months later...

Watch the presentation to the Transportation Technology and Infrastructure Committee.  Lots of information about the North Canal project.

A few highlights:

Detailed hydraulics studies have not been done yet, but preliminary analysis shows that it will not have significant impacts downstream (modeling shows the bayou staying in its banks).

The project includes:

1) The North Canal

2) Bridge and channel work upstream of the North Canal; The decks of the Yale & Heights bridges will be physically raised.  The bridges will not be demolished. Channel improvements under I-10 west of downtown (just to the west of Studemont).

3) In-line detention channel downstream, connected with the detention basins that will be added by the NHHIP.

• Like 7

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/8/2020 at 5:31 PM, Houston19514 said:

Watch the presentation to the Transportation Technology and Infrastructure Committee.  Lots of information about the North Canal project.

A few highlights:

Detailed hydraulics studies have not been done yet, but preliminary analysis shows that it will not have significant impacts downstream (modeling shows the bayou staying in its banks).

The project includes:

1) The North Canal

2) Bridge and channel work upstream of the North Canal; The decks of the Yale & Heights bridges will be physically raised.  The bridges will not be demolished. Channel improvements under I-10 west of downtown (just to the west of Studemont).

3) In-line detention channel downstream, connected with the detention basins that will be added by the NHHIP.

Does "in-line detention channel" mean that they will dig the channel deeper within the bayou?

20 minutes ago, H-Town Man said:

Does "in-line detention channel" mean that they will dig the channel deeper within the bayou?

I think it is a new canal, the South Canal.  This was in the original BBP master plan, I believe, but I thought the concept had been abandoned.  Apparently it is back, perhaps in a slightly different mode (more as flood control, less as an amenity).

From BBP Website:

“The trail will begin at Allen’s Landing Park and continue east under the Fannin Street Bridge, transverse up the slope along Commerce Street before passing under the San Jacinto Bridge to the Wilson Building on Commerce Street. The trail will continue through the second basement level of the Wilson Building and under the Harris County Sheriff’s Inmate Processing Center.“

https://buffalobayou.org/construction-begins-on-key-buffalo-bayou-trail-connection/

• Like 3

• 8 months later...

Phase 1 (preliminary design) Design was approved at the city council meeting this week. This should finish in 10 months. With Phase 2 (final design and real estate acquisition) Design finishing in 2 years.

https://houston.novusagenda.com/agendapublic/CoverSheet.aspx?ItemID=22421&MeetingID=484

https://communityimpact.com/houston/heights-river-oaks-montrose/environment/2021/05/20/houston-oks-11-million-contract-for-north-canal-project-design/

• Like 5

• 3 months later...
Pretty detailed map graphic on page 43 of a recent Metro Capital and Strategic Planning Meeting Packet. The North Canal Project will cut through a bus storage yard, so that is why Metro was covering it. 

Screen Shot 2021-09-17 at 5.05.41 PM.png

Edited by Justin Welling
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, j_cuevas713 said:

I’m curious what properties will be destroyed aside from the bus barn. Last time I heard the lofts across the street were also going to be demolished. 

Yeah, the Lone Star Lofts are directly in the path.  It looks like the Lone Start Lofts, the adjacent (attached) building, and the Metro building are the only buildings slated to be demolished for this project.  Sorry to lose them, but we need this.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On Sept. 24th I saw a contractor creating an access road on the north bank of White Oak Bayou. First thing that came to mind was the North Canal project. Nobody was onsite to talk to then but today I talked to the supervisor and he said this was to increase the amount of riprap in the bend under IH 10. I still think this will help with the canal project from ripping out the bend in the bayou. They were creating a bridge so they could access the south bank too.

uMUiIRQ.jpg

l1125WQ.jpg

WkGajGP.jpg

Mo1dO7Q.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Judging by the railroad bridge in the rendering, I wonder if they've given up on the idea of relocating the railroad tracks?  Though that was probably going to be done in conjunction with the IH-45 project, and if that is being delayed indefinitely, we may never get the relocated railroad tracks.

Piggybacking off of @editor they have a blueprint in town: go through bray bayou just past UH and mimic what it looks like before the city trims the sunflowers/folliage. Its managed chaos, its beautiful, and peaceful. Its immediate mental relaxation. I kind of agree with editor, put in some of the natural bayou/gulf coast prairie-type greenery in first, and build around that like in that last Seoul picture. We don't need the social stairs yet, just a great path and organic places to chill, some great natural plants, and then add to it as it gets busy. 

Grateful for the vision, and that this may happen, but there are potentially better ways to do this.

6 hours ago, editor said:

That looks... boring.  A number of cities have rehabbed the streams running through their city centers in recent years.  Houston can do better than this.

Here's Seoul's recently rehabbed urban canal:

Cheonggyecheon-Stream-Seoul.jpg

chongae3final21-1440x768.jpg

PicsArt_1398222328413.jpg

Kyoto:

5cacf2149b2b644d760e12da883a9148.jpg

Chicago:

City-Winterys-Riverwalk-River-Domes-Phot

Tumbleweed is right. This isn't meant to be something on the level of what you are proposing. The first and foremost point of this project is flood prevention and water diversion. Everything else is secondary. This canal isn't even that long; hardly worth that much effort.

9 hours ago, Tumbleweed_Tx said:

we don't need any of that, we just need a ditch to divert some water to try to keep it out of some of the downtown area.

Yes, actually, we do need it. Parks improve our quality of life and this city is desperate for some nice places. BBP functions as both so why would this just be a ditch?

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, Montrose1100 said:

Yes, actually, we do need it. Parks improve our quality of life and this city is desperate for some nice places. BBP functions as both so why would this just be a ditch?

Who wants to go to a park surrounded by warehouses, freeways, and prisons?

1 hour ago, Big E said:

Who wants to go to a park surrounded by warehouses, freeways, and prisons?

Buffalo Bayou Park is a 10 min walk from here, the east river project would be a 15 min walk. I didn't think anyone would question a park location......thats in downtown? There's numerous residential buildings, a big university, POST, multiple restaurants nearby.  The warehouses are temporary, we've seen a lot being repurposed lately, especially in the area. Freeways?? Memorial park, Buffalo Bayou Park, Discovery green... aren't most parks off a freeway? If anything, I feel like this could be Houston's next big park. 

The prison is a valid point BUT its not like they have play time and can go outside 😂 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1