Sign in to follow this  
Triton

North Canal Project

What will happen to the busy railroad track that is going right through the possible new canal? Surely they will have a say in this.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, hindesky said:

What will happen to the busy railroad track that is going right through the possible new canal? Surely they will have a say in this.

As from diagrams posted elsewhere on this site, there are no railroad tracks (with the exception of the Red Line) threatened by the canal. The proposed highway routing of IH10/45 might be another matter

Edited by Toopicky
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, Toopicky said:

As from diagrams posted elsewhere on this site, there are no railroad tracks (with the exception of the Red Line) threatened by the canal. The proposed highway routing of IH10/45 might be another matter

57 minutes ago, hindesky said:

What TooPicky says is correct. I would focus in on those presentations as they do a great job at tying together all the other projects planned for this area, one which will look completely different in the next 5-10 years with all the infrastructure changes.

20 minutes ago, Luminare said:

What TooPicky says is correct. I would focus in on those presentations as they do a great job at tying together all the other projects planned for this area, one which will look completely different in the next 5-10 years with all the infrastructure changes.

Which presentations? I guess I haven't seen them.

Luminare's development map shows it going right through the rail line that runs by north downtown near the jail and UHD.

StBTb3u.jpg 

From the old Swamplot website.

aehn0XZ.jpg

From Chronicle

hhvxegY.jpg

Edited by hindesky
  • Like 3

How old is that? Would they really rebuild the Yale St bridge after it's just been rebuilt?

• Like 1

My favorite thing about big ambitious non-building focused projects like this is the fake orange midrises they put everywhere. Once we build this nice park--waterfront midrises and charming Continental European malls are gonna pop up everywhere. 

In the renderings, I mean. 

Edited by EllenOlenska
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Triton said:

How old is that? Would they really rebuild the Yale St bridge after it's just been rebuilt?

i thought it was just reinforced?  It doesn’t look new.

30 minutes ago, kbates2 said:

It's brand new. Opened up in the past 1 or 2 years. It just has the old style guardrails like the original bridge.

• Like 3

I take it back ....there is one set of tracks owned by Union Pacific that would be effected by the proposed canal that passes the Amtrak Station called the Passenger Main section. I imagine that any traffic will be rerouted to the Main Freight section across the "Be Someone" bridge while a replacement bridge is rebuilt as they rejoin one another just to the west near Shepard Dr.

I wouldn't be opposed to moving the current Amtrak Station at the same time as it is less than impressive. Hardy Yards seems like a much better location,AND it would go a long way into giving the area a highly distinctive identity to aid in the area development.

Edited by Toopicky
  • Like 1

Amtrak station is near Washington Ave just.west of IH 45. The old station is no longer used.

3 hours ago, kbates2 said:

Oh trust me it's new. I remember it being a complete nightmare trying to get through that area when they completely demo'd the old bridge. I remember people being so happy on Nextdoor when it was announced it was opening earlier than scheduled.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, hindesky said:

Amtrak station is near Washington Ave just.west of IH 45. The old station is no longer used.

That is the one I was talking about replacing .... small one story building behind a pothole filled parking lot and the Police Supply?

Edited by Toopicky
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

I remember reading that the canal project was initially proposed in the 1930s.  So there's progress.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

There is a very old pump station there owned by UH. this MUST be preserved. I hope they do not plan to harm that structure.

1 hour ago, Subdude said:

I remember reading that the canal project was initially proposed in the 1930s.  So there's progress.

And to think we whinge about a project that only takes two or three times longer than it should... :ph34r:

On 10/13/2019 at 2:22 PM, EllenOlenska said:

My favorite thing about big ambitious non-building focused projects like this is the fake orange midrises they put everywhere. Once we build this nice park--waterfront midrises and charming Continental European malls are gonna pop up everywhere. 

In the renderings, I mean. 

Yes, the Buffalo Bayou plan renderings were amazingly optimistic.  I don't think many people are going to want new apartments next to the jails.  

The obvious name for the new island will be "Alcatraz".  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Subdude said:

Yes, the Buffalo Bayou plan renderings were amazingly optimistic.  I don't think many people are going to want new apartments next to the jails.  

The obvious name for the new island will be "Alcatraz".  

The most ambitious Houston renderings outside of the 300 foot buildings that have glass atriums which open to the pierce elevated park.  

If they really wanted to be ambitious, they'd include some wildlife in the renders...

image.png.54afc0d8ba7aab1ab6b10ad9744d6948.png

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, mollusk said:

If they really wanted to be ambitious, they'd include some wildlife in the renders...

image.png.54afc0d8ba7aab1ab6b10ad9744d6948.png

You're stealing my idea for Houston side raised (magical) bridle path lanes. 

• Haha 1