Sign in to follow this  
Avossos

The future of The Market Square Area

So this is all speculation and conjecture, but the topic came up in the Preston project's discussion, so I thought I would start a new topic.

With the area developing a nice, wealthy residential presence, what does the future hold for this area in terms of street life? Here are some of my thoughts:

- Currently the nightlife in this area is high. Tons of bars, clubs, and party people come out at night

- I see a disconnect with a renter who is paying 2K+ per bedroom and an area that is predominantly a party scene

- very few hard retail options exist (CVS and one small shop)

- very few lifestyle stores like gyms / yoga studios / coffee shops, currently exist (Boomtown I guess and Ryde)

Personally, I would like the area to calm down some and have a healthier mix of stores. I was hoping an apple store would come in one of the buildings downtown.

Do y'all thing the bar scene / nightlife scene will continue to grow? Do you think that with time there will be an eventual balance achieved? Or do you think the bar and club scene will completely shift to a new area (somewhere else downtown or midtown).

Interested in hearing y'alls thoughts!

Edited by Avossos

I'm thinking it will calm down into the elegant nightlife scene - it has the high rent residents, next to Art (opera, symphony, theatre), and the downtown rents are probably more payable long-term with fancy cocktails

That being said, they better not touch Frank's pizza

• Like 4

I could see this area develop a nightlife scene at some point... Older buildings... cool vibe... potential growth...

image.png.dcfe4d59abc2bb782e4d296f926aef66.png

• Like 3

I agree in that I think we slowly start to see the nightlife scene move elsewhere with elegant bars/lounges remaining, with high-end retail/restaurants entering the area in coming years.

Let's not forget the historic dives...

• Like 1

As I have said in the past, I think it will settle down some. The bar scene is always moving. I think the warehouse area east of Hutchins St Emauel will eventually become a

hot spot. There is such a collection of old buildings many sitting empty now but as things heat up in Eado, and especially if the freeway does come through it will have to grow further east.

I think with time more retail service type spaces will open in the Market Square area. Who knows how long it will take. This is the third time in my life that this area has been the party scene. 

• Like 3

There’s a fair amount of upscale bars already in the area that coexist with the more lively bars. 

Upscale cocktail bars that are relaxed

Spare Key

Public services

tongue cut sparrow

Upscale cocktail bars that are crowded 

bad news bar

pastry war 

I think Main Street will remain a hive for nightlife activity regardless. I do see that Market Square will shift to higher dining experiences.

@Avossos I do agree with the circle on that map you showed that this will be the next landing space for most of the heavy/hardhitting club activity. More space to branch out with new concepts, and less fuss from residents in general. There was that one club, BauHaus, that just opened in Southern Downtown which is in the middle of no-mans land. Its possible that club activity could shift that direction as well. So much empty space and cheap space in older underutilized buildings.

As far as hard goods. Lets see what happens when Houston Center finishes their refresh. I went by the other day and it looks like they are already doing work inside The Shops. I also think that we need a couple more midrise residential before we get anything. But who knows.

I'll tell you what though, that block of Main, Prairie, Fannin, and Preston is a prime spot to place larger retail tenant or grocer with apartments on top. No clue why nobody has jumped on that.

Edited by Luminare
  • Like 1

Probably an issue with parking + historical district + whoever owns the land wants to sell it for more than it's worth since they probably make a killing on surface parking

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Luminare said:

I'll tell you what though, that block of Main, Prairie, Fannin, and Preston is a prime spot to place larger retail tenant or grocer with apartments on top. No clue why nobody has jumped on that.

7 minutes ago, cspwal said:

Probably an issue with parking + historical district + whoever owns the land wants to sell it for more than it's worth since they probably make a killing on surface parking

This block and the old Mia Bella building are there for redevelopment, not sure what could push something over the top for either. If the State National/Moxy thing ever gets going, that would be yet more momentum for the area. With continued development, would tax valuations necessarily creep up for the undeveloped property and make a parking lot uneconomic?

The block next to the Houston Ballet building and the Chase drive-thru are two others that could turn into something else in the area.  They are relatively low, but maybe worth building something elevated.  One more big residential development might lead to a critical mass for all the other stuff mentioned. 

The Mia Bella building has really difficult sewer issues.  That's why they moved.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, downtownian said:

There’s a fair amount of upscale bars already in the area that coexist with the more lively bars. 

Upscale cocktail bars that are relaxed

Spare Key

Spare Key is in midtown.

15 hours ago, mollusk said:

The Mia Bella building has really difficult sewer issues.  That's why they moved.

I thought I remembered reading that, but wasn't sure. Even when Mia Bella was there, it was mostly vacant upstairs, or at least looked like it was.  Not sure what the best use of that would be, or if it's going to take bribing a developer into a restoration redevelopment, presuming its not a lost cause tear down.  

That stretch of Main, as a younger Houstonian, contains the longest consistent nightlife presence I have ever experienced in the H. Meaning the same bars have stayed open through the years and maintained some semblance of who they are.  Midtown initially had that crown growing up, but then it went through its slump, and then bars were opening and closing, etc. Washington was established early, but then all those bars closed and it became nothing, and now it re-upped with Clutch Bar, Concrete, and Kung Fu. 

Thus, I think there is something to the magic on Main. I honestly wouldn't want much to change, other than to develop more areas on that street and around Market Square. Its that development where I think you can begin to change the fabric of the area. The places that are already there don't have to really change, there is so much space in that part of town! 

• Like 6

17 hours ago, X.R. said:

That stretch of Main, as a younger Houstonian, contains the longest consistent nightlife presence I have ever experienced in the H. Meaning the same bars have stayed open through the years and maintained some semblance of who they are.  Midtown initially had that crown growing up, but then it went through its slump, and then bars were opening and closing, etc. Washington was established early, but then all those bars closed and it became nothing, and now it re-upped with Clutch Bar, Concrete, and Kung Fu. 

Thus, I think there is something to the magic on Main. I honestly wouldn't want much to change, other than to develop more areas on that street and around Market Square. Its that development where I think you can begin to change the fabric of the area. The places that are already there don't have to really change, there is so much space in that part of town! 

I agree with you completely. I think one of the best things Market Square and this stretch of Main has going for it is proximity to the light rail. Many of the people who will be moving into all of the new mid-rises and towers in Midtown and other parts of downtown skew younger and more professional and have disposable income for going out. A growing number (typically transplants) seem to be going without cars, if things I read here and on Reddit can be extrapolated. This area represents the best upscale bar experience anywhere along the light rail.

• Like 2

I think that area benefits from having 4 distinct crowds:

• office workers going to lunch
  • office workers going to happy hour after work
  • after parties from the theater, ballet, etc
  • people just going out at night

most of the other bar/club locations only have one, maybe 2 of those

• Like 3

I've been frequenting Market Square when I'm in Houston as a sport tourist over the last several years and the scene has gotten considerable better. 

• Like 3