McKee City Living: Multifamily At 650 McKee St.

Urbannizer

The green dry wall looked more interesting, but at least the housing authority is keeping up with trends around the city to blend in. 

not to be that annoying person but as an FYI the green board stuff on the outside of the building is called sheathing.  In this case is it Zip sheathing with an integrated air barrier.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, tangledwoods said:

not to be that annoying person but as an FYI the green board stuff on the outside of the building is called sheathing.  In this case is it Zip sheathing with an integrated air barrier.

I know I am being more annoying but the sheathing does have a gypsum board core (thus "drywall") is not totally inaccurate. The integrated air barrier works great too as long as the joints and penetrations are properly sealed.

Yes, don't confuse this sheathing product with the old green board used for a long time, and still occasionally, as a tile backer in bathrooms, etc. The paper facing was treated to resist moisture but is really not as effective as cement board or glass mat-faced gypsum board for that purpose.

There, was that annoying enough. 🙂 Back on topic, these building does blend in with the surroundings such as they are currently. I do hope the windows facing the viaduct keep out some of the traffic noise. Hopefully, traffic is light overnight when people are probably trying to sleep.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
9 hours ago, TX3G4R said:

Houston needs to cool it with the brown. This is 2022 not 2002, this would have looked so much better with better colored bricks.

I don't dislike it.

Basic brown bricks are not exciting today, nor will they be at any time in the future. At the same time, the whole design is fairly "value-engineered" classic post-modernism. The design of this building would have looked as good 40 years ago as it does today. I expect the design will look just as good 40 years in the future. 

Buildings are fairly permanent. I think architectural design which compliments that permanence is desirable to a degree.

Edited by aachor
  • Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

I wish they found a way to incorporate the trail into the development. That would have been such a nice amenity to add, "connection to the Buffalo Bayou Trail," but I'm starting to realize a lot of these developers are dumb. Like... this building is a 15 min walk on the trail right into the East River Development, thats a huge plus. The Landscape better be bomb to make up for that.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Amlaham said:

I wish they found a way to incorporate the trail into the development. That would have been such a nice amenity to add, "connection to the Buffalo Bayou Trail," but I'm starting to realize a lot of these developers are dumb. Like... this building is a 15 min walk on the trail right into the East River Development, thats a huge plus. The Landscape better be bomb to make up for that.

They're dumb for assuming the tenants of an affordable complex aren't going to walk to a food court where a tiny sandwich cost like 20 bucks lol? There's a lot of paperwork involved for a trail connection and it probably was not worth their time in their eyes.

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Amlaham said:

IIRC there is a bit of a height difference between the trail and the building at this location, probably made it hard to directly connect. However there is a trail entrance on the other side of the street

image.png.4bfe318d4a9e24be55cfbb41a3b658fc.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Amlaham said:

Are they done?  Do we know that they did not provide a connection to the trail or incorporate  it into their development (whatever that means)?   They include it in their list of amenities:  

• Located on Buffalo Bayou Hike + Bike Trail

10 hours ago, Amlaham said:

It's connected to the north bank bike trail and one block from the the Heights trail. As Midway works to finish their portion the trail will go right to the East End project.

S82ltGp.jpg

Edited by hindesky
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, iah77 said:

They're dumb for assuming the tenants of an affordable complex aren't going to walk to a food court where a tiny sandwich cost like 20 bucks lol? There's a lot of paperwork involved for a trail connection and it probably was not worth their time in their eyes.

Omg you found a menu for a place that hasn't even been built yet?! 😒, you do realize the whole point of the trail isn't just about overpriced sandwiches.... Its about making it easier for people to be active and enjoying the recreational spaces we have...."lol"

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Houston19514 said:

Are they done?  Do we know that they did not provide a connection to the trail or incorporate  it into their development (whatever that means)?   They include it in their list of amenities:  

• Located on Buffalo Bayou Hike + Bike Trail

I mean.... 2 pictures before my post, you can clearly see they completely fenced off the east side and completely gated the south side; both of which faces the trail. So yes that portion is done.

lol let me share some examples of what could have been implemented since a lot of you seem very PRO-whatever is going on with this building. image.png.4b26c094a9d39711547c7bd7af1c44e9.png

image.png.05664b8f3ea05e4d4354e9b15d1f5b2a.png

There's legit a thousand ways they could have incorporated the trail into the development. Im not sure why  being affordable housing or a $20 sandwich, make this vision harder. Is that the standard we set for affordable housing? Being a bare minimum building? This is an architectural forum, criticism will be provided when necessary :)