McKee City Living: Multifamily At 650 McKee St.

Urbannizer

Interesting spot to put that. That little strip of McKee north of the bayou is all industrial warehouse type stuff. Metro bus barn, warehouses, vacant land. Up on Nance and slightly west, you get to a more artsy area--Last Concert Cafe, Dakota Lofts.

I worked right there (McKee & Nance) from 1970s thru 1990s. Used to eat at LCC when Mama Lopez still owned it.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

http://txrrhistory.com/towers/139/139.htm

You may have stumbled onto a sort of ghost railroad tower - Tower 89.

It's all very confusing to me, but according to the link above, there were two railroad towers, 89 and 139. Tower 89 was built first but it is unclear if it was ever used as a proper railroad tower. Tower 139 came a few years later, south and east of 89,  and was in use until the rail service stopped on that section of line. The two towers seemed to have been confused back and forth in official correspondence over the years. But it is possible that your red building is the abandoned tower 89.

Befitting a ghost, all of the pictures on the site are of Tower 139. There are no pictures of Tower 89 there. [Cue the spooky music]

Or maybe I am completely wrong. But it was fun searching. Thanks

• Like 3

Using Google Streetview, the east side is all overgrown. But I got this view from the west "on" Elysian Street with Google. The building seems a little too substantial for a typical tower but I'm sticking with Tower 89.  Why not, it's a much better story.

Pix.jpg.729256968d2d16e544cf16e74906b37d.jpg

• Like 5

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
2 minutes ago, Tumbleweed_Tx said:

does this block flood? Will it flood after the North Canal project is done since it's right next to the east end of that project?

I remember riding by here after Harvey and I don't recall it flooding, it may have been lapping near it. It looks like they are building this on elevated piers so any of the apartments above should be ok. Their cars might be another story though.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to McKee City Living: Multifamily Downtown
  • 2 weeks later...

Living next to a straight train line with no immediate at grade crossings isn't too bad.  If it was curved though, that's pretty bad.

College apartment faced a curved train track on a mainline, and that's when I bought my first pair of noise canceling headphones

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I don't fully understand what "workforce housing" exactly is. Sound like a euphemism for lower income folks. Nevertheless, the skyline views are going to be great and as long as the bayou doesn't go crazy, there is fishing and boating oppurtunity. Sounds enjoyable. I live along a waterway on Lake Houston and love it. They could use a few more trees along the bayou

• 2 weeks later...