Jump to content
HAIF - Houston's original social media

Gala at MacGregor: Affordable Housing Multifamily, Museum District


Recommended Posts

The intersection of MacGregor and Almeda is in dire need of some retail though. I know there's the gas station and a couple spots in the Mosaic, but there's a bunch of apartments nearby already. A little market would be nice. Maybe a deli/ taqueria. Coffee shop. Nothing too fancy... but at least a little bit fancy.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Texasota said:

The intersection of MacGregor and Almeda is in dire need of some retail though. I know there's the gas station and a couple spots in the Mosaic, but there's a bunch of apartments nearby already. A little market would be nice. Maybe a deli/ taqueria. Coffee shop. Nothing too fancy... but at least a little bit fancy.

 

The lubys site has new ownership. I wouldn’t expect those guys to be there too much longer. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Toopicky said:

Wow, what a terrible location .... noise, maximum auto exhaust and limited shopping nearby . What more could one want in senior housing?

At least it is close to the Texas Medical Center.

I live next door it's a great area!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Toopicky said:

Wow, what a terrible location .... noise, maximum auto exhaust and limited shopping nearby . What more could one want in senior housing?

At least it is close to the Texas Medical Center.

 

It doesn't indicate senior housing though.  But with units only being 1 and 2 bedrooms then most will probably be senior citizens anyway and working class people who don't make much for luxury apt rents.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

It's a 2 minute walk to a bus stop; 3 minute walk to the Judson Robinson Community Center; maybe a 6 minute walk to get on the Hermann Park trails.

 

As already clarified above, there is no apparent reason to think the project is targeted at seniors; it is being developed as a mixed income multi-family (most multi-family developments are predominantly one and two-bedroom).

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

It's truly strange how few grocery stores/coffee shops/local corner stores/etc there are in that area. You have a ton of people living by that park, stupid amounts of foot traffic.

 

I can guess why that is but its not a pretty thought. Regardless of its location, its targeting 60% of AMI and lower, which is super commendable. Tbh, I'm surprised the business interests behind the Mosaic and other higher end apartments are OK with such a development. I didn't see where it says senior housing. I wish more of these would go up in that neighborhood, emancipation area, and the heights. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, X.R. said:

It's truly strange how few grocery stores/coffee shops/local corner stores/etc there are in that area. You have a ton of people living by that park, stupid amounts of foot traffic.

 

I can guess why that is but its not a pretty thought. Regardless of its location, its targeting 60% of AMI and lower, which is super commendable. Tbh, I'm surprised the business interests behind the Mosaic and other higher end apartments are OK with such a development. I didn't see where it says senior housing. I wish more of these would go up in that neighborhood, emancipation area, and the heights. 

The HEB across 288 opens in less than 2 months!

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

I honestly thought that gas station/shawarma king location was going to be a Starbucks. 
To add a little positive energy, if executed properly, this would have great freeway presence. Believe it or not (sans construction) driving down inner loop 288/59 u get the ‘urban’ look you don’t see often from Houston freeways.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, midtowndweller said:

I honestly thought that gas station/shawarma king location was going to be a Starbucks. 
To add a little positive energy, if executed properly, this would have great freeway presence. Believe it or not (sans construction) driving down inner loop 288/59 u get the ‘urban’ look you don’t see often from Houston freeways.


starbucks would’ve loved to be on that corner. They want to be in the neighborhood, but are having a hard time finding a site that would pencil out. The land has gotten too expensive. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...