The super-commuter population is growing fastest in Houston

BeerNut

90 minutes a day: Here's where the super-commuter population is growing fastest in Houston

In the Houston area, Fort Bend saw the largest increase in its super commuter population — which more than doubled from 2009 to 2017 — while its overall workforce population grew 39.1 percent. It has the second-largest overall workforce — 317,063 as of 2017 — in the Houston area, after Harris County, but super commuters only make up 2.4 percent of that total.

5 hours ago, BeerNut said:

I'm reading that as 90 minutes total in what I can see of the article.  45 mins each way is what I had door to door from just west of westchase to downtown in the early aughts.  It's what it takes to go from the same place now to UH in the mornings and evenings.  That seems normal to me, not super-commuting.

What is wrong with these people.

Kidding aside. Wow 90 minutes in total is considered super-commuter? I guess that is me then right now. Driving from the downtown area to work in Sugarland. Mornings aren't too bad but the afternoons stretch pretty close to an hour. 

6 hours ago, Triton said:

What is wrong with these people.

Kidding aside. Wow 90 minutes in total is considered super-commuter? I guess that is me then right now. Driving from the downtown area to work in Sugarland. Mornings aren't too bad but the afternoons stretch pretty close to an hour. 

I used to have the same commute (or reverse commute, I suppose). I could usually get to Sugarland in the morning in about half an hour, but the afternoon rush hour back into town was something I tried to avoid by staying late most days. I rarely left the office before 6:30 and even then the freeways were still fairly unpleasant (as opposed to nightmarish), with anything in the immediate vicinity of the West Loop usually causing the biggest delay. 

From Montrose - 30 min. to work in Baytown in the morning and 1hr home in the evening since those barges hit the IH 10 bridge.  I hate that barge company again for the second time this year for laying their barges north of IH 10. Simple solution would be for them not be allowed to park them there or be fined lots of $$$$ for doing so.

Archived