Sign in to follow this  
lockmat

St Joseph Medical Building

I doubt the hospital will close. The lack of funding is a hard blow but it seems they are going to find a way to keep the hospital operating. It's too important to the immediate area to close. If it were to close, I think another hospital would take over. 

My wife works in a clinic located in St Joseph. The federal program being terminated is for traditional Medicare only, which is a huge blow but there are other funding sources still in place. She just heard about it this week as well, not sure what will happen.

• Like 1

The CEO of St Joseph is speaking to the core team on Thursday. They are partially doctor owned (21%) with Iasis Healthcare owning the rest.

If it does, the city needs to change the name of the street back, since St Joseph's "Parkway" wouldn't have much meaning.

If it does, the city needs to change the name of the street back, since St Joseph's "Parkway" wouldn't have much meaning.

Unfortunately, its old name (Calhoun) has plenty of meaning.  I don't see it going back to that.

The CEO of St Joseph is speaking to the core team on Thursday. They are partially doctor owned (21%) with Iasis Healthcare owning the rest.

Unfortunately, it doesn't look good for St. Joe's. My neighbor's son is in the process of clearing out all of the furniture in one of the buildings. Don't know the entirety of the situation, but the City was about to start citing the hospital due to the specific building being closed and basically abandoned.

He has brought home several desks chairs, TVs, a refrigerator, etc. over the last week or so. From what my neighbor has told me, this is being done to clear the building out down to the bare walls in anticipation of unloading it altogether.

Perhaps that's why the new Sheraton going in at the ol' Holiday/Heaven on Earth building is listed as 801 Calhoun, instead of St. Joe's Pkwy.???

• Like 1

okay now reading up on the article, thats awful news. without being able to accept traditional medicare which still makes up 66% of medicare theres no way they can survive.

The one article I found on it implied that the HHS's denial stems from an incident where a patient with mental issues became combative and was shot by security guards with insufficient corrective action. As bad as that incident might be, there has to be more to it than that.

I can only assume there would have to be more than one incident to shut down a hospital. Maybe it will be bought out by Memorial Hermann... I dont think it would be wise to close our only hospital in downtown. 

• Like 1

My wife confirmed what was stated about the mentally unstable patient - i remember her telling me about it when it happened. After that shooting the investigation picked up a lot of scrutiny. The meeting the CEO announced Monday that was to be held on Thursday was canceled.

There is an article about the findings in the chron:

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/St-Joseph-inspection-finds-deficiencies-in-6641625.php

CMS will no longer pay for patients admitted on or after Dec. 3 through Medicare. It may continue to reimburse for care for patients admitted before Dec. 3 for up to 30 days after the termination date.

what do you mean the feds are cuting funding for traditional medicare patients? im confused

I don't know all the details, just whatever my wife tells me... What i do know - CMS (Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services) is the federal agency that runs medicare. Anyone over 65 is eligible for traditional Medicare. There are a large number of patients that go to St Joseph that rely solely on Medicare. CMS has cut them off, so St Joseph can no longer bill to Medicare. So they will have to turn away patients that are relying on Medicare coverage.

My wife works for a Medicare advantage program. This is where insurance companies offer added care on top of Traditional Medicare for a fee - supplemental insurance. She works in a clinic with Doctors that accept this advantage program. That won't be affected at the moment. Though obviously whatever happens to the whole hospital will impact everyone.

Wow.. This would be like 7-8 blocks of property potentially up for redevelopment. Imagine if Post, OliverMcMillan, or some other large mixed use developer of the likes took over and built a new mega development there.. They could even give up a few blocks of the property for that southern downtown park, and still have a handful of blocks to redevelop.

true.. but on the contrary, imagine the possibilities! heh. there has been a lot of talk on HAIF lately about expanding Houstons university presence.. imagine if UT did build a UT-H (but on these blocks and the derelict properties to the east/north.. not where they plan to build a "Research Campus" southwest of 610), or A&M built an A&M Houston, at/around the St Josephs site. along with the 8 St Josephs blocks north of 45 (and the cross building south of 45), there are 4-5 vacant blocks east/north of St Josephs. and id imagine the couple of the blocks that aren't vacant are small enough entities that they can be bought/relocated, creating an expanse of ~15 neighboring blocks. at 250x250' a block, thats around 21.5 acres. slightly larger than the 20 acre UH-D campus. just make this one denser so it'll have a larger presence.. build a few tall residence halls (like Dobie Center at UT). have a handful of HSPVA-esque mid-rises for the classrooms, I'm thinking one building for each "school" in the university. administration will need a tower. throw in some green space.. an urban quad if you will. about the only thing missing is room for sports facilities.. could they play in the nearby professional venues, sort of like how TSU plays football in BBVA Compass Stadium?

I was born at this hospital, so no I don't want to see it shut down, but damn they need to find some better management folks, or it looks grim for sure.

Was born here. Truly hope it doesn't close and I agree with the rest of you.... this has the potential to be abandoned for a while if it were to close.

Yes i understand what medicare is lol. I own a medical equipment business and get referrals from case workers from this hospital for hospice/home health patients as well. Everyone at the hospital is shit scared because without their medical number they will go down under. If this gets shut down this will be REALLY REALLY bad for houston. Camridge hospital in medical center shut down and that was the other psy hospital and if this gets closed down, oh boy it will be BAD.

I can only assume there would have to be more than one incident to shut down a hospital. Maybe it will be bought out by Memorial Hermann... I dont think it would be wise to close our only hospital in downtown.

Im not sure Memorial Hermann would want those buildings, but agreed on downtown needing to retain a hospital presence.. it would be great for one of the big players to come in and build a medical tower on one of the rail lines.

• Like 2

Perhaps that's why the new Sheraton going in at the ol' Holiday/Heaven on Earth building is listed as 801 Calhoun, instead of St. Joe's Pkwy.???

If this hospital does go away, a reminder of it would be nice. It was the hospital where most native Houstonians were born for a long period of time.

Also, how many streets named after Calhoun do we need?