Sign in to follow this  
TheSirDingle

Heritage Plaza Renovation

Source: https://www.bisnow.com/houston/news/office/yet-another-iconic-downtown-tower-is-getting-a-new-look-101024

Brookfield is at it again. Though it is still handling renovations at Houston Center, Allen Center and Total Plaza, it is now gearing up renovations at Heritage Plaza...

Brookfield plans to completely redo its entrance with a new exterior glass curtain wall facing Dallas and Brazos streets. The updated lobby would include a live plant wall and a “social stair” with seating to encourage tenants and visitors to congregate and socialize there. The sky lobby with exterior patio on the 13th floor would be revamped, including adding new conference space and seating. The ground-floor conference center would be upgraded, as would the elevator lobbies...

Construction on Heritage Plaza, which has 1.1M SF of office and 29K SF of retail space, will begin in October and is expected to be complete in January 2021. Kirksey is designing the renovations, and O'Donnell/Snider Construction is the general contractor.

Rendering: 

Yet Another Iconic Downtown Tower Is Getting A New Look

Looks like we got another one 🥳

Edited by TheSirDingle
  • Like 7

OKfine... I get it, I'm less than hip.  But what IS it with the "social stair" fad? :ph34r:

• Like 1

I remember thinking the sky lobby had a really cool futuristic look, like an 80's idea of the future but a great period piece. But I haven't been in it in 15 years.

12 hours ago, mollusk said:

OKfine... I get it, I'm less than hip.  But what IS it with the "social stair" fad? :ph34r:

poster-p-2-spaces-places-cities-square-i

If you've toured any medium/big startup HQ in Austin, Boston, SF, or Seattle this basically what you're greeted with upon entering the door. That is Square, btw. I think its actually a cool, ingenious use of the space. 

Edited by X.R.
  • Like 2

The new Glassell building also makes use of social stairs both as places to congregate and to exhibit students' art.

• Like 2

Maybe a good and useful one (lately), but a design cliché never the less. As is the “live plant wall”. As ubiquitous as “ROWDY”.  

• Like 3

On 9/26/2019 at 10:25 PM, mollusk said:

Its been around for a little while. I know it really started to take off as a concept in educational architecture like 5-6 years ago? Its definitely overused and has begun to be repetitive, but hey that's what happens when an idea gets into the mainstream. Its a great idea that has just gotten more diluted as it gets over implemented. I'll answer your second question below the this other quote.

On 9/27/2019 at 6:36 PM, Naviguessor said:

Maybe a good and useful one (lately), but a design cliché never the less. As is the “live plant wall”. As ubiquitous as “ROWDY”.  

Its absolutely a cliche, but one that does have staying power. The "social stair" not only has the perfect combination of what architects want stairs to be but also what current cultural trends want spaces to be.

If you haven't noticed, architects are very fascinated by stairs, but not really the stairs themselves, but the stairs ability to change space by changing ones elevation in relation to other things. A change in elevation is an intriguing concept for all architects not just for aesthetic arrangement, but for arrangement of people in space, and how that influences communication for people in space with one another and the building itself. A lot of architects really like this idea of the stair as being a place to congregate and communicate. I mean we all have to take a stair at one point or another. A stair can be a way to lead a person from one space to another. Its the perfect confluence of interactions between people and program. So that is the architecture side.

Culturally the trend is to essentially turn nearly every public or semi-public space into an interaction point or interaction opportunity, a time or moment for social interaction. The current trends are all about diverging or blending interactions. Its all about collaboration, diversity, multiplicity, and plurality. That's the cultural side of things.

Put the two together and you get the "social stair". There is more to it than these things on both ends, but its at least a primer.

Edited by Luminare
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's also worth noting that "stairs as a social space" is not really a new concept. Think grand staircases in opera houses or the steps to the Philadelphia Museum of Art. They are places, not just to interact with other people, but to be seen interacting with other people. 

• Like 3