Sign in to follow this  
hindesky

New Park on the MKT Trail

This will be a great add to the area, and hopefully the TXDOT staging area goes with it. If only we could get the Army Corps of Engineers to approve the MKT connection between Stude Park and the Heights Trail - that project has been dragging on for years and would go a long ways to connecting two of the major hike and bike trails!

• Like 7

I'm sure it's starring me right in the face but where is this located along MKT?

2 hours ago, Triton said:

I'm sure it's starring me right in the face but where is this located along MKT?

It is where Patterson St. NB dead ends into the trail.  There is a vacant lot on the west side of Patterson.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, s3mh said:

It is where Patterson St. NB dead ends into the trail.  There is a vacant lot on the west side of Patterson.

4 hours ago, Triton said:

Guys - It is this area....

image.png.20284a3741eb4704f4aaca31abd66667.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Avossos said:

Guys - It is this area....

image.png.20284a3741eb4704f4aaca31abd66667.png

Oh wow!!!

Great spot and it looks like only people walking/biking the trail will be able to get to it. No wonder I saw them cleaning up and fencing this section off.

Edit: With this big park improvement here, I REALLY hope they add some lighting to this area.

• Like 5

yeah they need lighting through there. This will be good. That area is currently flood retention. I would assume the park will still be retention, so I would guess we should expect a decent amount of expected flooding at this park. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Purdueenginerd said:

That area is currently flood retention. I would assume the park will still be retention, so I would guess we should expect a decent amount of expected flooding at this park. 

You must have never been on the MKT.  this a rather elevate d ridge, when you're on the MKT trail this area is a hill above/next to you. It would only flood in extreme events.    

mkt-elevation.PNG

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, crock said:

You must have never been on the MKT.  this a rather elevate d ridge, when you're on the MKT trail this area is a hill above/next to you. It would only flood in extreme events.    

mkt-elevation.PNG

I've been on MKT plenty and yeah, looking at google earth, youre right. 

1 hour ago, crock said:

mkt-elevation.PNG

I think nearly the entire city would have to be underwater for this hill to flood.

• Like 4

20 hours ago, Triton said:

I think nearly the entire city would have to be underwater for this hill to flood.

maybe they're calling it Festival Hill because we can all go there to watch the world be inundated? 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, crock said:

maybe they're calling it Festival Hill because we can all go there to watch the world be inundated? 

I would think they would call it Ararat and not Festival in that case.