Bayou Greenway Park & Trailhead At 1648 Studemont St.

hindesky

This will be a great add to the area, and hopefully the TXDOT staging area goes with it. If only we could get the Army Corps of Engineers to approve the MKT connection between Stude Park and the Heights Trail - that project has been dragging on for years and would go a long ways to connecting two of the major hike and bike trails!

• Like 7

1 hour ago, s3mh said:

It is where Patterson St. NB dead ends into the trail.  There is a vacant lot on the west side of Patterson.

4 hours ago, Triton said:

I'm sure it's starring me right in the face but where is this located along MKT?

Guys - It is this area....

image.png.20284a3741eb4704f4aaca31abd66667.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Avossos said:

Guys - It is this area....

image.png.20284a3741eb4704f4aaca31abd66667.png

Oh wow!!!

Great spot and it looks like only people walking/biking the trail will be able to get to it. No wonder I saw them cleaning up and fencing this section off.

Edit: With this big park improvement here, I REALLY hope they add some lighting to this area.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Purdueenginerd said:

That area is currently flood retention. I would assume the park will still be retention, so I would guess we should expect a decent amount of expected flooding at this park. 

You must have never been on the MKT.  this a rather elevate d ridge, when you're on the MKT trail this area is a hill above/next to you. It would only flood in extreme events.    

mkt-elevation.PNG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, crock said:

You must have never been on the MKT.  this a rather elevate d ridge, when you're on the MKT trail this area is a hill above/next to you. It would only flood in extreme events.    

mkt-elevation.PNG

I think nearly the entire city would have to be underwater for this hill to flood.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...
  • The title was changed to New Park On The MKT Trail
  • 3 months later...
On 5/26/2021 at 2:58 PM, s3mh said:

This is now open.  Hopefully, the bridge over the bayou will get fixed this summer so it will be a short ride from the Heights to this park.  

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/lifestyle/article/Bayou-Greenways-Park-opens-this-week-as-part-of-16204438.php#photo-21042848

Wilcal just posted the bridge won't open till January.

• 2 weeks later...

Damn this keeps getting better and better. I hope they find a way to build better sidewalks along Studewood at I-10 to better connect to Lower Heights and sidewalks along the bridge. Things like that make it easier for people to access bar/restaurants/etc in the neighborhood. 

Edited by j_cuevas713
  • Like 3

From the article linked above “now it welcomes visitors with little metal signs posted along its path: “The bayou doesn’t move the way lightning can,” reads the first. Follow the path, and the signs form a bayou-centric poem by University of Houston professor Martha Serpas”

Edited by sapo2367
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

Sharing an article below - looks to be the most promising news I've seen on the long-awaited connector between White Oak and MKT! Planned construction to start in September on the 850ft connector. Estimated completion isn't until Winter 2022 - so we still have quite a bit of time to wait. 

Beloved Heights-area trail will soon link to White Oak Bayou Greenway - CultureMap Houston

2 hours ago, twisterhunt said:

Sharing an article below - looks to be the most promising news I've seen on the long-awaited connector between White Oak and MKT! Planned construction to start in September on the 850ft connector. Estimated completion isn't until Winter 2022 - so we still have quite a bit of time to wait. 

Beloved Heights-area trail will soon link to White Oak Bayou Greenway - CultureMap Houston

I'm hoping they mean winter of '21-'22 and not winter of '22-'23. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, twisterhunt said:

36 minutes ago, hindesky said:

I'm hoping they mean winter of '21-'22 and not winter of '22-'23. 

It appears at this point that it means the beginning of 2022, although they really need to adopt a more normal 1Q22, 2Q22, etc. I never would have thought winter '22 mean January or February. 

5 hours ago, wilcal said:

It appears at this point that it means the beginning of 2022, although they really need to adopt a more normal 1Q22, 2Q22, etc. I never would have thought winter '22 mean January or February. 

Since we can wear shorts in December here, I automatically assume winter '22 means January or February.

• The title was changed to Bayou Greenway Park & Trailhead At 1648 Studemont St.