Parking Vault Houston: Garage At 1441 Walker St.

houstontexasjack

• 3 months later...
23 minutes ago, mattyt36 said:

Great location!

Going to have incredible views of all the nearby parking garages.

Kidding aside, whoever lives here will have great access to all the amenities in downtown, especially Discovery Green.

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Luminare said:

With its proximity to Rusk and Austin, I'm hoping for some GFR on those streets, however, with this being Morgan Group I'm also not going to set my expectations for that very high.

They worked with Whole Foods in Midtown. Might get one here.

Edited by H-Town Man
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Luminare said:

Great idea! Did alter this since 365's are dead. RIP. Can you imagine if HEB dropped into downtown? That would be wild.

I still would not be surprised if HEB got the 212 Milam address. Wouldn't have to really worry about flooding with a parking garage below the HEB. Either way, I think there's a high chance HEB comes to downtown if Whole Foods and Target are trying to enter this more urban market (midtown and downtown).

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Luminare said:

Great idea! Did alter this since 365's are dead. RIP. Can you imagine if HEB dropped into downtown? That would be wild.

As a downtown resident, I would lose my mind over this.  Honestly a smaller, more urban HEB could work as it would service Downtown, Midtown, Eado, East End, and some Near Northside residents.

It's unlikely, but there are a lot of multi-family projects proposed and under construction in these neighborhoods, so the density in the next several years may make sense.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Triton said:

I still would not be surprised if HEB got the 212 Milam address. Wouldn't have to really worry about flooding with a parking garage below the HEB. Either way, I think there's a high chance HEB comes to downtown if Whole Foods and Target are trying to enter this more urban market (midtown and downtown).

Just now, CREguy13 said:

As a downtown resident, I would lose my mind over this.  Honestly a smaller, more urban HEB could work as it would service Downtown, Midtown, Eado, East End, and some Near Northside residents.

It's unlikely, but there are a lot of multi-family projects proposed and under construction in these neighborhoods, so the density in the next several years may make sense.

Agree with all of these. I wonder if, for parking reasons, they could attempt to build more parking on top of the existing garage the block next door? That would be interesting.

• 2 months later...

I'm glad there's more infill going up, but it feels like this is only one part of the project. The design for the garage is pretty good compared to what's usually built. I just have feeling there should be more to this block, but this might just be phase 1 of what's coming. 
I'm gonna wait for more information, but i'm hoping it's not just a garage. Albeit it's a nice garage though, only second to lyric in design. 

• Like 5

11 hours ago, Triton said:

Well, guess I was right about the parking garage part... just won't be an HEB on top haha... :(

I mean I don't know about you, but if there was something we need more in downtown, its parking garages! I mean it is technically residential...just for cars! /s

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Purdueenginerd said:

Hiring Gensler seems like over kill for a parking garage... Just saying.... 

It also says it will be an "auto" parking garage. Do we think its that same company trying to put in an auto garage in The Heights? If this is to be the first, I could understand why you would approach an arch firm to look into it.

If this is going to be an auto garage then I would actually like this to be built if it could become a proven concept in this city which could eventually consolidate surface lots and even obsolete analog parking garages to something like this. In the end, this might be a necessary step back in order to go two steps forward.

21 hours ago, HNathoo said:

Looks like we’ll be getting a parking garage...

EEFA6976-12DB-44D8-B43C-2ED5A77A59EE.jpeg

Well, it wasn't a great location considering that it faced three other parking garages and a power station. Perfect spot for some loser to come along and build yet another parking garage. Some people raise the bar and some people just serve the most basic element.

• Like 2

I will say, that "high density" parking also means the "cost" and "revenues streams" of parking may be increasing in downtown houston, relative to land. Surface lots obviously being the cheapest, followed by pre-cast garages, and now we have potentially higher capacity garages. I'm sort of skeptical though, despite all the losses of parking lots in Downtown, I find it absurdly easy and affordable to find parking whenever I have a meeting downtown or there's an event I want to go to. Though I may be outside of the norm, Normally when I go to a rockets game or concert... I try to park several blocks away to pay $0 after 6 pm on the streets and walk the remainder. This garage may be marketed to the convention crowds.

@Luminare I dont know. Even an "Auto" parking garage seems beneath Gensler's typical project. Do we know if this a full block or half-block. The rendering kind of looks like a half-block. 

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Purdueenginerd said:

I will say, that "high density" parking also means the "cost" and "revenues streams" of parking may be increasing in downtown houston, relative to land. Surface lots obviously being the cheapest, followed by pre-cast garages, and now we have potentially higher capacity garages. I'm sort of skeptical though, despite all the losses of parking lots in Downtown, I find it absurdly easy and affordable to find parking whenever I have a meeting downtown or there's an event I want to go to. Though I may be outside of the norm, Normally when I go to a rockets game or concert... I try to park several blocks away to pay $0 after 6 pm on the streets and walk the remainder. This garage may be marketed to the convention crowds.

@Luminare I dont know. Even an "Auto" parking garage seems beneath Gensler's typical project. Do we know if this a full block or half-block. The rendering kind of looks like a half-block. 

Gensler isn't one of those kinds of firms. I've never thought of Gensler as snotty or imagines a project as "beneath them". Definitely not for a multi-national corporation where their only concern is making money, and not necessarily the look of its portfolio. Even with that being stated, unless you are a name associated with a particular look, feel, and type of architecture, then no project should ever be "beneath you". That exclusion is bad business, and bad in the sense as one is limiting themselves to explore new avenues for architectural expression or architectural challenges. Then again that's the difference between someone who wants to fill a niche and one that wants to reach the mainstream.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Luminare said:

Gensler isn't one of those kinds of firms. I've never thought of Gensler as snotty or imagines a project as "beneath them". Definitely not for a multi-national corporation where their only concern is making money, and not necessarily the look of its portfolio. Even with that being stated, unless you are a name associated with a particular look, feel, and type of architecture, then no project should ever be "beneath you". That exclusion is bad business, and bad in the sense as one is limiting themselves to explore new avenues for architectural expression or architectural challenges. Then again that's the difference between someone who wants to fill a niche and one that wants to reach the mainstream.

I might be subject to recency bias in my opinion of the typical projects Gensler peforms, at least from my anecdotal standpoint. I'm not trying to convey theyre snobby, I apologize-- that wasnt my intent. I guess every time I've worked with Gensler its typically a huge multi-national firm as the owner. Hopefully thats not enough to doxx me ; ). That's why i'm generally surprised they would go for and win the bid for a parking garage, even one that's automated. My only thought would be that something else is attached to this project that hasnt been revealed yet. Alternatively, perhaps Gensler just has a lot of experience with this automated garages in other markets and thats why they won. 

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, Purdueenginerd said:

I might be subject to recency bias in my opinion of the typical projects Gensler peforms, at least from my anecdotal standpoint. I'm not trying to convey theyre snobby, I apologize-- that wasnt my intent. I guess every time I've worked with Gensler its typically a huge multi-national firm as the owner. Hopefully thats not enough to doxx me ; ). That's why i'm generally surprised they would go for and win the bid for a parking garage, even one that's automated. My only thought would be that something else is attached to this project that hasnt been revealed yet. Alternatively, perhaps Gensler just has a lot of experience with this automated garages in other markets and thats why they won. 

pfft. No need to apologize, and trust me I'm no defender or agent of Gensler. My intention was merely to debase you from your initial certainty. You were so certain! I can't really let that go unchallenged, just like I expect you to call me out if I'm ever too certain about engineering :) .

While they are a multi-national firm, their Houston branch is very localized. I see them as going for any type of project if it means it will potentially access a new revenue stream, as thats typically the prime objective of a multi-national corporation. If this is truly a new potential market then I know if I were in their shoes I would be gunning for it to be first to the market with a new product, both programmatically and aesthetically.

Edited by Luminare
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1