Ethiopian Airlines

wxman

6 hours ago, KinkaidAlum said:

Its the 788. Perfect size and it looks like it will sit in Houston for 20 hours in order to maximize connections to West Africa.

That really makes sense - leave a $100 million+ asset doing nothing for 20 hours. Sabena did that, and ended up going bankrupt.

On 9/13/2019 at 8:36 PM, Ross said:

That really makes sense - leave a $100 million+ asset doing nothing for 20 hours. Sabena did that, and ended up going bankrupt.

That's a fair point. It's rare to sit that long, but it's been done by established airlines too. Japan Airlines’ flight between NRT and BOS has a ground time of approximately 19.5 hours in BOS before returning to NRT for better connectivity to banks. It's fair to be cautious. We will see. Personally I have never flown Ethopian but I have heard good things. Not excellent like the ME3 carriers or one of the Far East Asian Carriers, but -good-. Young fleet, commitment to safety, well managed. It would be helpful if United did a codeshare with them, but I'm not sure if that is in the works or not? Probably not, since United prefers to feed Africa flights via FRA. Anyways, I hope it works out at IAH! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/14/2019 at 9:04 PM, 102IAHexpress said:

That's a fair point. It's rare to sit that long, but it's been done by established airlines too. Japan Airlines’ flight between NRT and BOS has a ground time of approximately 19.5 hours in BOS before returning to NRT for better connectivity to banks. It's fair to be cautious. We will see. Personally I have never flown Ethopian but I have heard good things. Not excellent like the ME3 carriers or one of the Far East Asian Carriers, but -good-. Young fleet, commitment to safety, well managed. It would be helpful if United did a codeshare with them, but I'm not sure if that is in the works or not? Probably not, since United prefers to feed Africa flights via FRA. Anyways, I hope it works out at IAH! 

It's a shame they can't do a tag-on flight like AIr China is doing with Panama City. I'm not exactly sure where else a market would exist. 

For 20 hours you could do just about anything though. Wasn't this flight previously doing LAX? Just add a IAH-LAX RT built in.

• The title was changed to Ethiopian Airlines

Archived