Harris County Jail At 1301 Franklin St.

According to the Sheriff's website, their address is now 1200 Baker St. I guess that means 1301 Franklin is ALL records storage.

This is true. This was the old jail full of rats which now just holds records. (And rats) I don't know of any plans to renovate or make it something else since it is doing it's job fine.

Also, across from the new 1200 Baker jail will be a joint IPC (Inmate Processing Centre) for HPD and the Sheriff's Office slated to open in 2010. From what I remember it will be somewhere around 10 floors.

Cheers!

So all in the same area, cool. Hopefully it will all be state of the art courts and jail facilities.

Aye. The current thought is that there will be RFID for inmate tracking. (Which may or may not actually happen) Also there will be video visitation rather than the behind the plexi-glass type that is currently being used. Too much contraband still seeping through.

• 3 years later...

Looks like this thing will be coming down soon. While I won't exactly miss it, its truly a shame they couldn't find an alternative use.

Since I used to work there back in the early 90's, it was pretty lousy shape then and probably even more so now.

It will be interesting to see what they might build there in the future, though.

...its truly a shame they couldn't find an alternative use...

They turned the old jail in Boston into a really nice hotel, The Liberty Hotel

But that was a building that was built in 1848. Tons of great architecture. There is nothing like it in Houston.

When was this building on Franklin built. It looks like the 60's or 70's, and it didn't even last 20 years before it was in crummy shape.

I suspect that they will build another courthouse there. They now have one courthouse to take your money, another to take your children, and a third to take you life and liberty. What's left. I guess they need one to take your sanity or to take your dog.

Edited by gto250us

They turned the old jail in Boston into a really nice hotel, The Liberty Hotel

But that was a building that was built in 1848. Tons of great architecture. There is nothing like it in Houston.

When was this building on Franklin built. It looks like the 60's or 70's, and it didn't even last 20 years before it was in crummy shape.

I suspect that they will build another courthouse there. They now have one courthouse to take your money, another to take your children, and a third to take you life and liberty. What's left. I guess they need one to take your sanity or to take your dog.

The sad part is that the building was completed in 1980! Darned thing didn't even make it 30 years!

The family law center has been talking about replacing its building, perhaps this would would eventually become that and then the FMLC would be torn down.

The taxpayers deserve a better return on their investment for whatever is built in it's place. Do you think they will pony up for a 60-70 year building?

We do deserve much better, but I suspect the average taxpayer would be quite happy to let the jail crumble to the ground with the inmates still inside.

It's rather embarrassing that this had such a short useful life. Critics would call it symptomatic of sterotypical Houston impermanence.

• Like 1

I like it too in the verb form - it's been savoyed! Or noun - He pulled a savoy.

As long as it shows that fits the proper context as Savoy's situation: demolished due to neglect and not salvagable.

Hence my hoping we do a drive by sledging of Days inn.

As long as it shows that fits the proper context as Savoy's situation: demolished due to neglect and not salvagable.

Hence my hoping we do a drive by sledging of Days inn.

Just locate a good brick off a warehouse in the East End, place the brick next to Days Inn, and claim that it fell off and nearly hit you.

• 3 years later...

Just locate a good brick off a warehouse in the East End, place the brick next to Days Inn, and claim that it fell off and nearly hit you.

Actually you could get hit by a dangling metal panel of the deteriorating "Days Inn" sign on the eastern facade on a windy day.

• 6 years later...
5 hours ago, Nate99 said:

Didn't realize this building was no longer used to house inmates.  Wonder what they'll do with the block. 

“the aging 13-floor jail at 1301 Franklin, which was built in 1980 and closed in 2002 after state jail inspectors found its smoke removal system was inadequate. Jail operations were moved to a new building at 1200 Baker.”

https://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/article/Harris-officials-accept-plan-to-demolish-jail-1737002.php

• Like 1