2100 Memorial: Senior Housing Demolition & Rebuild

Highrise Tower

State board approves demolition of senior living facility at 2100 Memorial

https://communityimpact.com/houston/heights-river-oaks-montrose/city-county/2019/09/05/2100-memorial-demolition/

The Texas Department of Housing and Community Affairs has approved the demolition of an affordable senior living complex that was flooded during Hurricane Harvey and has since faced legal obstacles from residents.

Some of the last remaining tenants at 2100 Memorial Drive, Houston, have until March 1, 2020 to voluntarily move out. If all tenants vacate before then, demolition can take place earlier, TDHCA Director of Asset Management Rosalio Banuelos told board members Sept. 4.

The building, which originally was a repurposed Holiday Inn hotel, will be rebuilt with five stories and 196 units. It will remain in use as an affordable senior living facility, the Houston Housing Authority confirmed. The existing facility had 197 units.

“If this place of went to commercial developers, the prices on the sales or rentals would be astronomical, so it’s so good that we’re taking this action … preserving this incredible site for affordable housing,” TDHCA board member Leo Vasquez said.

The decision marks the first significant progress in the project following a two-year long legal battle that tenants initiated after they received notice shortly after Harvey that their leases were terminated and they must vacate the property within five days, court documents state.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The old building has kind of a cool beach retro vibe and might have benefitted from a good renovation but probably the costs are less to just demo and rebuild. I like the low-profile parking.

The 5-day move-out notice was a cruel joke. Did the people who decided that think for one second what it would be like to be told, in the aftermath of a hurricane, "You've got 5 days to remove all your things from your residence?" The flood itself was hardly worse.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

I'm going to miss that old Holiday Inn building. Thirty years ago I lived in a rental house on State Street that backed onto Memorial on the last block before Houston Avenue. My upstairs bedroom had a whole wall of windows that was completely filled by the view of downtown buildings. Those seniors have an affordable and incredible view of downtown and July 4th fireworks.

• Like 6

• 4 months later...

From ze Planning Commission:

This was found through a recent variance request for "Off-Street Parking":

SUMMARY OF VARIANCE CONDITIONS (BE AS COMPLETE AS POSSIBLE): The Houston Housing Authority proposes to replace the existing unusable 13-story senior 100% affordable housing structure/parking structure with a 6-story replacement of the same number of units. To provide the same number of living units with today's regulations requires elevation of the residential units above the flood plain and compliance with today's building safety code. The proposed building covers a substantial portion of the existing site. Historically, most of the residents of senior affordable housing units no longer drive automobiles and the typical standard for the retirement classification is greater than the need for this particular use. Another similar project constructed in New Orleans by Colombia Residential (Columbia Parc) functions with a 0.48 parking ratio and has a parking surplus on site.

The developer is Colombia Residential? Not to sure. We do know from the documents that it will be 197 units of affordable senior living.

Site:

DcCYcCj.jpg

Site Plan (Parking):

3AKUlwi.jpg

Elevations:

zWRZYsN.jpg

EDIT: This is what I get when I get behind on the map! Thanks mods for fusing this with the proper thread.

Edited by Luminare
  • Like 9

• The title was changed to 2100 Memorial: Senior Housing Demolition & Rebuild
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Yoda said:

I really like this location. I think this would be the perfect spot for high rise condos/apartments with an insane view of downtown, near lower Washington and close to Buffalo Bayou Park. 

yeah but it’s only going to be a 6 story mid rise...

33 minutes ago, Avossos said:

yeah but it’s only going to be a 6 story mid rise...

I know. Makes very little sense to me. If I was the developer of "The Allen" I would buy this land, develop high rise condos/apartments, name it "The Memorial" then link the two developments over Buffalo Bayou via ultra long skybridge. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Yoda said:

I know. Makes very little sense to me. If I was the developer of "The Allen" I would buy this land, develop high rise condos/apartments, name it "The Memorial" then link the two developments over Buffalo Bayou via ultra long skybridge. 

well it never went for sale. This is owned by the Houston housing authority. This will have a small % of rent controlled units for seniors. Majority (85% or so?) will be market rate.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Avossos said:

well it never went for sale. This is owned by the Houston housing authority. This will have a small % of rent controlled units for seniors. Majority (85% or so?) will be market rate.

Yeah, I don't understand the thought behind having affordable housing in this location or across the Bayou next to "The Allen". The prime real estate on the Bayou could be sold to developers for a good price and then the money used to build something nicer on land only a few streets away.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Yoda said:

Yeah, I don't understand the thought behind having affordable housing in this location or across the Bayou next to "The Allen". The prime real estate on the Bayou could be sold to developers for a good price and then the money used to build something nicer on land only a few streets away.

You should have been at the neighborhood meetings! Some people seemed like they'd give their left hand to save it. I think more good could have been done with the money, but the proposed plan seems nice too. Oh well.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Avossos said:

You should have been at the neighborhood meetings! Some people seemed like they'd give their left hand to save it. I think more good could have been done with the money, but the proposed plan seems nice too. Oh well.

Some seniors from my old church group lived there and seemed to like it. It's unfortunate that it flooded the way it did.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 9/24/2020 at 11:03 PM, Avossos said:

First off, when this was developed in the 80-90's, this area was rundown & Crime ridden. Only after this was developed by the city & HHA. Did the 6th ward show a renaissance. All residents who haven't passed away & want to return are eligible to rent in the new property. Approximately 100 units are for HC voucher residents, HCV, Military, County, & State. Roughly 30% is for Market rate, as told to me by the developer. Of course these numbers are subject to change. But it has to remain Affordable Housing.  And it will be up to code. & is for Seniors 62+.. 

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

It does sound like it's going forward.  I know that Block Companies has secured the primary sub-contractors...such as concrete, mechanical, plumbing, and electric.

https://recovery.houstontx.gov/affordable-senior-community-on-memorial-drive-in-the-old-sixth-ward-to-be-rebuilt-with-disaster-recovery-funding/

• Like 4

https://www.houstonpublicmedia.org/articles/news/in-depth/2021/06/25/401534/nearly-4-years-after-harvey-seniors-are-still-waiting-to-move-back-to-2100-memorial/amp/

The Houston City Council recently approved $25 million from federal Hurricane Harvey funds toward the $62 million reconstruction of 2100 Memorial. Mark Thiele, interim president at the Housing Authority, said demolition should start in the next few weeks.

"We're at the end of the beginning, sort of, and really getting moving," he said. "Demolition (will last) about six months and construction about 22 months. So that puts us roughly, depending on how long these last steps take, then beginning of '24."

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Ah, man. This makes me sad. I am old enough to remember this Holiday Inn. As a kid, our family used to go on long road trips and I would beg to stay at Holiday Inns because they often had indoor pools. Whenever we'd drive along Memorial to downtown (my dad's office was in the old Humble Bldg) I'd get excited and ask if we were going to this Holiday Inn. It was the gateway to downtown in my mind and the huge world that existed outside of the Tanglewood bubble. RIP, cute gal.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...