Peden Building At 600 N. San Jacinto St.

hindesky

• 4 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to Harris County Penden Building Renovations At 600 N. San Jacinto St.
  • The title was changed to Penden Building Renovations At 600 N. San Jacinto St.
8 hours ago, H-Town Man said:

Something prison-related, I guess.

Jail related, the only prison in downtown is the Federal Detention Center and I think its for short term prisoners before they are moved elsewhere.

Edited by hindesky
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, hindesky said:

Jail related, the only prison in downtown is the Federal Detention Center and I think its for short term prisoners before they are moved elsewhere.

Thanks. My post probably offended a lot of jail inmates inadvertently with the suggestion that they were prisoners.

• Haha 2

• The title was changed to Peden Building Renovations At 600 N. San Jacinto St.
  • 2 months later...
On 3/23/2021 at 5:57 PM, hindesky said:

Not used for short term prisoners, as all federal prisoners are processed in a single intake and orientation center. This specific Federal Prison is for low risk female inmates. Prisons are segregated by gender and prisons (now called Units) designated to house male or female only. If prisoners (either a bus of women or men) who are in-transport from one unit to another are received at male prison for any length of time, such as vehicle repair, medical, of staff changes, those transit prisoners are identified in the system as what gender the units classified as. (This was the rule when I was employed in the prison system 18 years ago)

22 hours ago, Inspector_Gadget said:

Not used for short term prisoners, as all federal prisoners are processed in a single intake and orientation center. 

Both can be true (and in this case, I'm pretty sure both are true). The Federal Detention Center in downtown Houston is indeed for short-term stays, mostly prior to and during trials and other proceedings, and a few serving short sentences.  

And yes, all (of nearly all) federal prisoners are processed in the intake center (Federal Transfer Center) in Oklahoma City. (That does not mean there are no short-term stays elsewhere in the BOP system.)

Edited by Houston19514

22 hours ago, Inspector_Gadget said:

This specific Federal Prison is for low risk female inmates. Prisons are segregated by gender and prisons (now called Units) designated to house male or female only. 

If by "this specific Federal Prison" you are referring to the downtown Houston Federal Detention Center, I'm pretty sure your statement is incorrect.  It is not just low-risk and it is not just females. It houses both males and females, of all security levels, for short-term stays.

I have a close friend whose brother worked for the U. S. Customs and Border Protection Agency down in the Rio Grand Valley. The brother got busted for helping drug runners from Mexico. He got placed at the Houston Federal Detention Center until he was transferred to a federal prison up in Massachusetts. So it is a short term prison for inmates awaiting  transfer to federal prison after they are found guilty. Lots of those Federal trials take place here in Houston.

• The title was changed to Peden Building At 600 N. San Jacinto St.