Sawyer St. Expansion

Triton

Back in 2014, I remember reading about a proposal by the city (OR, a major developer in the area saying the city had plans) to expand Sawyer St between Crocket and Washington into 4 lanes.

Unfortunately, I cannot find that anymore but it does appear I have come across some sort of Complete Street proposal for Sawyer. It appears to have been created around 2015 though, so I am wondering if anyone has any new information on this road since the city has clearly been studying this road segment for a while:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3ZyxZ9zC-bpSUtBT3lTZUNiVmc/view

design-guidelings-692x300.jpg

Proposed-Street-Sections-and-Context-Pla

• 4 months later...

The infrastructure in this neighborhood has been absolutely overwhelmed.  If you only had a view of the railroad, the modest two-lane asphalt, and the overhead utility lines, you'd think you were on the outskirts of Angleton or some such.  Then zoom out to four story apartment complexes being thrown up in the blink of an eye, tucked right on to the right of way.  Heaven forbid if the train is rolling by at rush hour.  With Sawyer Yards just really getting started, it's going to get way worse before it gets better.

It's interesting how much pain this railroad causes in the area. 

I wonder if there is any chance of Summer St being connected?

It's getting a light at Studemont right now, so that would add a significantly different option for Target shoppers to escape the area. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/6/2020 at 11:50 AM, flatline said:

The infrastructure in this neighborhood has been absolutely overwhelmed.  If you only had a view of the railroad, the modest two-lane asphalt, and the overhead utility lines, you'd think you were on the outskirts of Angleton or some such.  Then zoom out to four story apartment complexes being thrown up in the blink of an eye, tucked right on to the right of way.  Heaven forbid if the train is rolling by at rush hour.  With Sawyer Yards just really getting started, it's going to get way worse before it gets better.

This area is a hodgepodge and the city needs to connect it better. Summer & Crockett should connect at least to Studemont, and should be placed as one ways. And while they're at it, Spring Street should connect to Oliver and to the I-10 feeder.

42 minutes ago, Montrose1100 said:

This area is a hodgepodge and the city needs to connect it better. Summer & Crockett should connect at least to Studemont, and should be placed as one ways. And while they're at it, Spring Street should connect to Oliver and to the I-10 feeder.

Part of me also thinks this area needs to shake itself out a little more, particularly when it comes to residential. They just started redoing streets in East Downtown, but it took a little bit for that area to figure itself out too.

• The title was changed to Sawyer St. Expansion

Archived