Rodney Crowell - Telephone Rd.

Ross

Really good stuff I hadn't run across before. The Telephone Road video popped up on YouTube while I was binge watching a bunch of Townes van Zandt and Guy Clark songs. Crowell is in a number of scenes in Heartworn Highway, a mid 70s documentary filmed at Guy Clark's house, and in Austin, where Townes van Zandt lived. 

If you like Heartworn Highways, you should seek out Be Here To Love Me, a documentary about Townes Van Zandt. Unfortunately, the DVD's hard to find/expensive now, and I'm not sure it's available on any of the streaming services.

Rodney Crowell just played the Heights Theater last week. I wasn't able to go this time, but I saw him there last year, and he's really doing excellent live work these days. 

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Rodney was brought up in the Ship Channel area until his dad took another job and moved them to around Jacinto City. He's truly The Houston Kid. We were raised exactly like he sings in Telephone Road. We were at Clear Creek and Cullen close to the Paradise South Cemetery. The ice houses, the playing in the bar ditches and mosquito truck reference. How did we survive? Lol. We were cut from a tough cloth. The only doctor visits I can ever recall were for tetanus shots. Glass in the ditch or  stepping on a rusty nail. 

• The title was changed to Rodney Crowell - Telephone Rd.

Archived