More Changes At CBS 11 KHOU-TV

Blue Dogs

CBS 11 KHOU-TV Houston has hired WCNC-TV Charlotte, NC Weekend News Anchor Xavier Walton as the TEGNA Station's new #HTownRush Morning Anchor.

"We are excited to have him on board," KHOU President & GM Robert Springer, told mikemcguff.com. Springer adds Walton wants to move to Houston, to not only report the news, but also to make it a better place to live through his community involvement.

With Walton taking over Weekday Mornings, current #HTownRush Weekday Morning News Anchor Lisa Hernandez is moved to the Weekend Evenings, where she will be doing weekend evening newscasts alongside Ron Trevino, who currently anchors the weekend evening timeslot alone. However, Trevino will continue to solo anchor the Saturday Morning News. Springer also told mikemcguff.com that the TEGNA Station is working to expand its weekend coverage with Hernandez's addition.

https://mikemcguff.blogspot.com/2019/08/xaiver-walton-khou-htownrush.html

https://www.facebook.com/mcguff713/

Give me your thoughts on these changes & how do you think it will work out in the long-term ?

A.) Love It

B.) Hated It

C.) Wait & See Approach

Edited by Blue Dogs

C.

Is this considered a demotion for Lisa? Are their ratings suffering during the morning rush? I watch at 4:30am  for the weather and traffic reports because these are the second and third things they mention in there broadcast before I head out the door at 4:35am for my commute.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I've also switched to KPRC weekday mornings. It has much better traffic reporting and the weather reports are more concise. I don't really care why it is going to rain, or be hot or cold - especially in such excruciating detail.

Also, the KHOU weekday morning "news" has  become too chopped up in its presentation and the behavior of the people in front of the camera is just plain silly. Both, I think, is something that was dictated by some marketing "genius." I do miss Lisa Hernandez' professional demeanor and measured delivery too.

• Like 2

I have moved to abc 13 They moved to much around and now it’s boring. It use to be fun watching Ron,Lisa, Chita and the others. Not now I thought I was on a different channel when I turned to the channel. SMH ( My mom always say when it’s not broke leave it alone)

• Like 1

I have moved to channel 13 because KHOU keep messing up things too much unnecessary changes.  It appears they need to start at the TOP with Management and moved them out the door.  Things are not consistent.

Every since they moved Sherry Williams, Lily Chang and Darby’s Douglas it has been a big screw up.  The traffic lady  Stephanie is horrible in the morning.  

The new cast won’t last long at all.  They are boring, Xavier is no better and appears not at ease in reporting.   Everyone I know has left watching Channel 11 in the morning when I asked.   A terrible mistake.

Erica Simon or Chauncey Glover should have been recruited from Channel 13.  However, it’s obvious Channel 11 doesn’t want this kind of Diversity on the morning show.

Resign the management team and bring younger, creative Managers in and see what happens.  

I hope someone will read this feedback.

• Like 2

Things began to grossly go down hill big time at KHOU when Darby Douglas was fired from the station!!!!!!!!!  He and David Paul had a REAL magical connection and made the traffic and weather fun to watch.  Bad mistake!  Chita was added...she is ok but at times talks too much!  Then, Ron Trevino and Lisa Hernandez were heading the morning show!  KHOU has since added and removed various replacements but none have really worked!  Is there a message in that?????  

Ron Trevino was moved to weekends, Lisa Hernandez recently took maternity leave and now she will comeback to weekends with Ron Trevino which is a great reunion but weekend news is probably the least watched!

Suggestion,  move Ron and Lisa back to weekdays Htown Rush, along with David Paul and Darby Douglas!  The ratings  will blow the roof off the new plaza building!

Edited by Sissy
  • Like 3

On ‎10‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 6:31 AM, Sissy said:

Things began to grossly go down hill big time at KHOU when Darby Douglas was fired from the station!!!!!!!!!  He and David Paul had a REAL magical connection and made the traffic and weather fun to watch.  Bad mistake!  Chita was added...she is ok but at times talks too much!  Then, Ron Trevino and Lisa Hernandez were heading the morning show!  KHOU has since added and removed various replacements but none have really worked!  Is there a message in that?????  

Ron Trevino was moved to weekends, Lisa Hernandez recently took maternity leave and now she will comeback to weekends with Ron Trevino which is a great reunion but weekend news is probably the least watched!

Suggestion,  move Ron and Lisa back to weekdays Htown Rush, along with David Paul and Darby Douglas!  The ratings  will blow the roof off the new plaza building!

You don't think Xavier & Co., will last long ? Are you guessing 3 years or 5 years from now ?

Started going downhill at KHOU when they had the big shakeup with Ron Trevino and Lily Jang and brought in the boss's husband. Then they fire Darby Douglas and bring in Stephanie Simmons. Have no idea why they let Darby go nor did Darby according to his FB page.  Then they bring in the comedian Chinedu Ogu which I find not funny at all just stupid. KHOU is definently worst of the 3 or 4 in the mornings now.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, blownt said:

Started going downhill at KHOU when they had the big shakeup with Ron Trevino and Lily Jang and brought in the boss's husband. Then they fire Darby Douglas and bring in Stephanie Simmons. Have no idea why they let Darby go nor did Darby according to his FB page.  Then they bring in the comedian Chinedu Ogu which I find not funny at all just stupid. KHOU is definently worst of the 3 or 4 in the mornings now.

That so-called comedian Ogu is an IDIOT. I know that Lily has moved on from the TV Biz & is doing real estate stuff.

I watch the KHOU morning news everyday.  I will miss seeing Russ and Lisa every morning while I drink my coffee. I hate to see them go and I don’t like change! You don’t understand the morning cast becomes part of your family. Please take good care of them and treat them well.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Unbelievable! I have been away and when I turned on what was my favorite morning news program at 5:00 AM, I was thinking maybe at 6:00 AM the great cast would be in. NO! That is when I began googling to find out what happened. I never write posts but I felt I needed to chime in. It was one thing to let Darby Douglas go, but to change the entire staff is unbelievable. Not sure how you can change this and agree Management needs to be fired. They blew this one.  

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/24/2019 at 6:42 AM, M J Chavez said:

I am very disappointed with the changes that have been made on the morning show. I love Chita. I liked Darby - think he got a bad deal. And I liked Lisa Hernandez & Russ.  I really miss that group. I think management should stop making changes

Chita Craft recently gave birth to her 2nd kid.

• 2 weeks later...

Well apparently, now that it's been two months since Lisa Hernandez gave birth (and barring her bio being dropped from the KHOU website), I wouldn't be shocked if we started seeing changes this week or next while we're still getting over Christmas dinner and firing up that new Peloton (or Mirror or what have you). But I also noticed a big change at the FCC with regards to children's programming...The FCC has relaxed KidVid rules that required three hours of educational programming on each subchannel, which CBS fulfilled by providing its affiliates with three hours of such programming under the brand CBS Dream Team. Whereas they could only have aired between 7 a.m. and 10 p.m. in the past, the FCC now allows stations to air as early as 6 a.m. now. Additionally, the FCC now only applies the three-hour rule to refer to what a licensee can air across any one of a station's subchannels (as opposed to mandating a licensee carry three hours of KidVid programming on each subchannel in the past), and a licensee can now offload up to one hour of KidVid per week (13 hours per quarter) to a digital subchannel.

So how does this tie into KHOU and the desire to expand weekend news coverage? I can explain the changes KHOU has made recently with regards to the weekends (WARNING: Lots of esoteric nerding out to come on this matter!):

• With regards to the KidVid changes, KHOU technically could push the one hour of CBS Dream Team KidVid shows it airs on Sunday over to its Bounce subchannel or push it back to 6 a.m. where two televangelist programs air.
  • Speaking of televangelists, the station has lost its 10 a.m. and 11 p.m. broadcasts of Joel Osteen to KTRK. KHOU now airs an infomercial between Sports Extra and a rerun of NCIS: New Orleans in place of the latter, and the second half-hour of Face the Nation (which used to be delayed to 2:30 a.m.) now airs after the first half in place of the former leading into Ed Young's Winning Walk at 10:30 a.m.
  • KHOU is also dropping The Church Without Walls (6:30 a.m.) effective the Sunday after Christmas, so apparently KHOU could be launching a Sunday morning newscast to lead into CBS Sunday Morning. They also carry the sermons of two other majority black churches in Houston, Mount Corinth and Lilly Grove, as well as some Houston public access program (Latina Voices) with mostly ancient episodes before the sun rises. I am certain one of those three will be dropped as well to make room for a Sunday morning newscast with Ron Trevino.
  • CBS This Morning's Saturday broadcast now airs continuously from 6 to 8 a.m., as opposed to being split into two hours with the second hour (the one with the cooking and music segments) being delayed two hours in favor of KHOU's Saturday morning newscast. CBS apparently is mandating their stations air CTM on time and in pattern, and there have been consequences for affiliates who buck their demands (as evidenced by WWL in New Orleans moving its 7 a.m. to 9 a.m. local morning newscast over to sister station WUPL). At least two CBS stations even lost their affiliations, including KHOU's former corporate sister in Indianapolis, WISH-TV (the former flagship of the Whitney Corporation that bought KHOU when it was still KGUL-TV and eventually became Corinthian Broadcasting), which lost CBS to WTTV in that market.
  • Inside High School Sports, which used to air after the Saturday morning news during high school sports season, now also airs at 11 p.m. on Saturdays as well, and has pushed KHOU's entire Saturday late-night serial repeat block (NCIS: New Orleans, Madam Secretary and Murdoch Mysteries) as well as Boomer Esiason's sports interview show back a half-hour.
  • KHOU could even try airing a midday news on Saturday similar to what CBS11 in DFW (KTVT) does, so they might try expanding there as well...and they now have a new meteorologist (Addison Green) on board, making it five assuming Chita, Erika Lopez or Blake Mathews don't leave. I'll be shocked though if they add a newscast at 5 p.m. since it is certain to be preempted by CBS Sports programming. Texas Country Reporter already broadcasts there, though especially when CBS Sports broadcasts SEC football, college basketball or golf at 5 p.m. Saturday, it either gets preempted or airs at 5:30 a.m. Saturday instead (a long-lived CNBC-produced program, On the Money, usually airs in that Saturday morning slot).
  • Speaking of On the Money (which used to be called The Wall Street Journal Report), it could very well be dropped by CNBC, which is ending the Nightly Business Report on PBS/KUHT this week and might cancel it as well to focus exclusively on cable, per a Katz Media report of barter syndicated shows I came across that had it lasting through 2020. It could also very well move to KPRC (a more appropriate venue for a program produced by an NBC entity), except I am not the programming God at either station.
  • Even the Winning Walk may not be safe, especially if TEGNA decides to expand WFAA's Inside Texas Politics beyond Dallas to across the state and air it on KHOU at 10:30 a.m. (Fun fact: former KHOU reporter Jason Whitely hosts that program, which airs live on WFAA at 9 a.m. Sunday morning.) Again, KHOU has not had a traditional Sunday morning newscast according to my recollection, but they did have such programming for a time in the 90s dealing with local public affairs or current events - First Sunday hosted every first Sunday of the month by Sylvan Rodriguez, and Steve Smith's Sunday featuring its namesake anchor every other Sunday of the month.

Clearly, some of the changes at KHOU are of CBS' own doing as well as those of the FCC, but considering KHOU is looking to shore up their weekend news offerings to catch up with KPRC, KTRK and KRIV, these moves don't seem surprising. The only question is now, will Lisa Hernandez actually be anchoring on weekend evenings or not at all? The time has come.

Edited by stan the man
  • Like 1

On 12/23/2019 at 3:04 AM, stan the man said:

Well apparently, now that it's been two months since Lisa Hernandez gave birth (and barring her bio being dropped from the KHOU website), I wouldn't be shocked if we started seeing changes this week or next while we're still getting over Christmas dinner and firing up that new Peloton (or Mirror or what have you). But I also noticed a big change at the FCC with regards to children's programming...The FCC has relaxed KidVid rules that required three hours of educational programming on each subchannel, which CBS fulfilled by providing its affiliates with three hours of such programming under the brand CBS Dream Team. Whereas they could only have aired between 7 a.m. and 10 p.m. in the past, the FCC now allows stations to air as early as 6 a.m. now. Additionally, the FCC now only applies the three-hour rule to refer to what a licensee can air across any one of a station's subchannels (as opposed to mandating a licensee carry three hours of KidVid programming on each subchannel in the past), and a licensee can now offload up to one hour of KidVid per week (13 hours per quarter) to a digital subchannel.

So how does this tie into KHOU and the desire to expand weekend news coverage? I can explain the changes KHOU has made recently with regards to the weekends (WARNING: Lots of esoteric nerding out to come on this matter!):

• With regards to the KidVid changes, KHOU technically could push the one hour of CBS Dream Team KidVid shows it airs on Sunday over to its Bounce subchannel or push it back to 6 a.m. where two televangelist programs air.
  • Speaking of televangelists, the station has lost its 10 a.m. and 11 p.m. broadcasts of Joel Osteen to KTRK. KHOU now airs an infomercial between Sports Extra and a rerun of NCIS: New Orleans in place of the latter, and the second half-hour of Face the Nation (which used to be delayed to 2:30 a.m.) now airs after the first half in place of the former leading into Ed Young's Winning Walk at 10:30 a.m.
  • KHOU is also dropping The Church Without Walls (6:30 a.m.) effective the Sunday after Christmas, so apparently KHOU could be launching a Sunday morning newscast to lead into CBS Sunday Morning. They also carry the sermons of two other majority black churches in Houston, Mount Corinth and Lilly Grove, as well as some Houston public access program (Latina Voices) with mostly ancient episodes before the sun rises. I am certain one of those three will be dropped as well to make room for a Sunday morning newscast with Ron Trevino.
  • CBS This Morning's Saturday broadcast now airs continuously from 6 to 8 a.m., as opposed to being split into two hours with the second hour (the one with the cooking and music segments) being delayed two hours in favor of KHOU's Saturday morning newscast. CBS apparently is mandating their stations air CTM on time and in pattern, and there have been consequences for affiliates who buck their demands (as evidenced by WWL in New Orleans moving its 7 a.m. to 9 a.m. local morning newscast over to sister station WUPL). At least two CBS stations even lost their affiliations, including KHOU's former corporate sister in Indianapolis, WISH-TV (the former flagship of the Whitney Corporation that bought KHOU when it was still KGUL-TV and eventually became Corinthian Broadcasting), which lost CBS to WTTV in that market.
  • Inside High School Sports, which used to air after the Saturday morning news during high school sports season, now also airs at 11 p.m. on Saturdays as well, and has pushed KHOU's entire Saturday late-night serial repeat block (NCIS: New Orleans, Madam Secretary and Murdoch Mysteries) as well as Boomer Esiason's sports interview show back a half-hour.
  • KHOU could even try airing a midday news on Saturday similar to what CBS11 in DFW (KTVT) does, so they might try expanding there as well...and they now have a new meteorologist (Addison Green) on board, making it five assuming Chita, Erika Lopez or Blake Mathews don't leave. I'll be shocked though if they add a newscast at 5 p.m. since it is certain to be preempted by CBS Sports programming. Texas Country Reporter already broadcasts there, though especially when CBS Sports broadcasts SEC football, college basketball or golf at 5 p.m. Saturday, it either gets preempted or airs at 5:30 a.m. Saturday instead (a long-lived CNBC-produced program, On the Money, usually airs in that Saturday morning slot).
  • Speaking of On the Money (which used to be called The Wall Street Journal Report), it could very well be dropped by CNBC, which is ending the Nightly Business Report on PBS/KUHT this week and might cancel it as well to focus exclusively on cable, per a Katz Media report of barter syndicated shows I came across that had it lasting through 2020. It could also very well move to KPRC (a more appropriate venue for a program produced by an NBC entity), except I am not the programming God at either station.
  • Even the Winning Walk may not be safe, especially if TEGNA decides to expand WFAA's Inside Texas Politics beyond Dallas to across the state and air it on KHOU at 10:30 a.m. (Fun fact: former KHOU reporter Jason Whitely hosts that program, which airs live on WFAA at 9 a.m. Sunday morning.) Again, KHOU has not had a traditional Sunday morning newscast according to my recollection, but they did have such programming for a time in the 90s dealing with local public affairs or current events - First Sunday hosted every first Sunday of the month by Sylvan Rodriguez, and Steve Smith's Sunday featuring its namesake anchor every other Sunday of the month.

Clearly, some of the changes at KHOU are of CBS' own doing as well as those of the FCC, but considering KHOU is looking to shore up their weekend news offerings to catch up with KPRC, KTRK and KRIV, these moves don't seem surprising. The only question is now, will Lisa Hernandez actually be anchoring on weekend evenings or not at all? The time has come.

You think Lisa Hernandez is NOT sticking around with CBS 11 KHOU-TV Houston long-term ? 🤔

I wouldn't be shocked if we see some people leaving CBS 11 KHOU-TV Houston for better opportunities (Fox 26 KRIV-TV Houston, Ch. 13 KTRK-TV Houston or other parts of the Lone Star State: Dallas, Austin, San Antonio, etc.,)

• 2 weeks later...

I have been highly disappointed with the changes that khou have made with the morning rush! First Ron & Lilley had to go which seriously broke my heart! Then you bring in that Russell character...which was an absolute pitiful excuse for an anchor! Then Darbi is fired!!! Now, Lisa is moved!?! You destroyed my morning "Dreamteam"!! I ONLY watch khou at anytime of the day or night for Cheta now....if you move her, I'm done! I'm impatiently awaiting her return from her maternity leave....

I will also add that Brandi is awesome & good job bringing Steph onboard, I still miss Darbi but she's a good substitute.

• Like 1

Bring Lisa Paul and Ron back. Hire Darby back. Management is making big mistakes.  You are losing me as a viewer. I tuned in to new group and tuned out. Too bad because you were my go to coverage. I am Latina and enjoyed the diversity of inclusion of someone that looks like me on your coverage. One more point I like to see anchors that are older not younger. They also look like me. 

Edited by Stella
More input
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, Stella said:

Bring Lisa Paul and Ron back. Hire Darby back. Management is making big mistakes.  You are losing me as a viewer. I tuned in to new group and tuned out. Too bad because you were my go to coverage. I am Latina and enjoyed the diversity of inclusion of someone that looks like me on your coverage. One more point I like to see anchors that are older not younger. They also look like me. 

You can see Lisa & Ron on the weekend evening newscasts.

I have long wished for another newsmagazine show like the one Steve Smith did years ago. I cannot recall the title, or if it was Sat. or Sun. morning.

If memory serves, they did some longer stories on various topics that were original segments, and not just repeats from previous regular news shows. Must have taken some effort to put together. Ray Miller had a segment chatting with Steve, and then playing a video,  and I believe these were new work (probably could not have gotten permission from KPRC to play Eyes of Texas footage). Anyone else remember this show?

IMO the news shows that KHOU now is doing wknd morns are just going to get completely lost in the shuffle and have no chance of building an audience. Placeholders but holding for what?

Edited by houblu
add

11 hours ago, houblu said:

I have long wished for another newsmagazine show like the one Steve Smith did years ago. I cannot recall the title, or if it was Sat. or Sun. morning.

If memory serves, they did some longer stories on various topics that were original segments, and not just repeats from previous regular news shows. Must have taken some effort to put together. Ray Miller had a segment chatting with Steve, and then playing a video,  and I believe these were new work (probably could not have gotten permission from KPRC to play Eyes of Texas footage). Anyone else remember this show?

IMO the news shows that KHOU now is doing wknd morns are just going to get completely lost in the shuffle and have no chance of building an audience. Placeholders but holding for what?

Looks like Lisa Hernandez has officially left CBS 11 KHOU-TV Houston for good.

BTW what's happening with Gerald Treece, another one of my long time favorites? In recent years I would often tune in just to see his segment (I admit it's been a few months since I've done that. )

He may have to start working Sundays since I don't think there's time for a feature like his on a half hour show.

Edited by houblu
sp
  • Like 1

On 1/11/2020 at 6:52 AM, houblu said:

BTW what's happening with Gerald Treece, another one of my long time favorites? In recent years I would often tune in just to see his segment (I admit it's been a few months since I've done that. )

He may have to start working Sundays since I don't think there's time for a feature like his on a half hour show.

Big question is who's next to leave CBS 11 KHOU-TV Houston ?

A.) Chita Craft 

B.) Rekha Muddaraj

C.) The Field

On 1/8/2020 at 8:54 AM, Stella said:

Brandi Smith is now the Saturday Morning Weekend Anchor. 

• 2 weeks later...

I, too, have chosen not to watch the H Town Rush program.  I was out of the city for quite a while and horrified to find what happened to the morning program that I had watched every weekday morning since moving to Houston in 2012.  The show now feels more like a reality type show, which I don’t watch, either,  than an informative news program.  I am watching KPRC Channel 2 these days and switch back to watch the CBS morning news at seven A. M.

• Like 2