Jump to content
Brandon55

Mixed use next to Minute Maid Park

Recommended Posts

W

On 8/17/2019 at 12:39 AM, mattyt36 said:

 

Thanks for that. You are correct, although I’m sure it’s no coincidence Aramark runs the concessions at NRG and Toyota Center as well. Not sure about BBVA, but that is City-run, not County run. 

 

 

Wrong again.  NRG Stadium, Toyota Center, Minute Maid Park and BBVA Stadium are all Harris County Houston Sports Authority facilities.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

W

 

Wrong again.  NRG Stadium, Toyota Center, Minute Maid Park and BBVA Stadium are all Harris County Houston Sports Authority facilities.

 

Sorry, got confused with the City exclusively buying the land for BBVA. In my recollection (but living away at the time) I thought it was driven by the City and that impression must have never left me.

 

But, rest assured, Houston19, make yourself known at the next Astros game and I will buy you an overpriced beer to complement that feather in your cap.

 

 

Edited by mattyt36
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Adding to the confusion (or mine at least) the City does run the Houston Sports Park, which houses the Dynamo and Dash training facility and the rugby team.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would be nice if Tilman snatched up a lot or 2 around Toyota Center, but I’m not holding my breath on that one.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, nate4l1f3 said:

Would be nice if Tilman snatched up a lot or 2 around Toyota Center, but I’m not holding my breath on that one.

Why not? I mean he's clearly shown he wants to make a big impact. He already talked about upgrades to Toyota Center. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If they demo Home Plate, they need to do a though rough cleaning of the area before building something else in that area. That place smells like urine and sad dreams. We go to eado to pre-game instead.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, j_cuevas713 said:

Why not? I mean he's clearly shown he wants to make a big impact. He already talked about upgrades to Toyota Center. 

I was excited to hear all that talk as well, but I like the Crane approach of minimal talking and mass action.  It’s still early in his tenure so we’ll see I suppose.

Edited by nate4l1f3
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Mr.Clean19 said:

If they demo Home Plate, they need to do a though rough cleaning of the area before building something else in that area. That place smells like urine and sad dreams. We go to eado to pre-game instead.

I'm all for this development but I feel like destroying these old structures would be a loss. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe they'll do something like they did around the Dirt Bar leaving it standing.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, bobruss said:

Maybe they'll do something like they did around the Dirt Bar leaving it standing.

Yeah that's what I'm hoping too

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, j_cuevas713 said:

I'm all for this development but I feel like destroying these old structures would be a loss. 

 

The buildings were not owned by the city and I am pretty sure were not part of the sale. Just the vacant land around them.

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 8/19/2019 at 6:00 AM, Angostura said:

 

Basically, yes. HCSA built and owns the stadium, and leases it to the Astros, who retain substantially all revenue generated inside, including naming rights and non-baseball events. In return, they pay a few million dollars a year in rent (now $8.1M, with the lease extension). The team also pays for certain stadium improvements.

 

BTW, an annuity purchased with the $178M naming rights fee paid by Coca Cola would more than pay for the team's lease costs over the 28-year term of the naming rights deal.

 

 

 

Except that all the information I can find indicates naming rights were sold for $100 Million, not $178 Million.  And, more important,  I'm pretty sure that MinuteMaid/Coca Cola did not write a check for the full amount; I think it's paid out over the term of the deal.

 

50 minutes ago, H-Town Man said:

 

The buildings were not owned by the city and I am pretty sure were not part of the sale. Just the vacant land around them.

 

 

You are correct that the buildings were not part of this sale.  However, the entity making this purchase (1800 Texas, LLC) already owns the buildings on the block.

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

 

Except that all the information I can find indicates naming rights were sold for $100 Million, not $178 Million.  And, more important,  I'm pretty sure that MinuteMaid/Coca Cola did not write a check for the full amount; I think it's paid out over the term of the deal.

 

 

From here

 

Quote

Meanwhile, The Coca-Cola Co.’s (NYSE: KO) naming rights for Minute Maid Park expire in 2029, the Houston Business Journal previously reported. That 28-year sponsorship cost the Atlanta-based company $178 million. 

 

 

...though you're probably right about the payment terms.

 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/16/2019 at 3:44 PM, H-Town Man said:

 

Correct on Quality Hill. I think Frost Town was on the south side/right bank of the bayou. The Buffalo Bayou Master Plan calls for a "Frost Town Urban Garden" where the electric substation is along McKee Street, IIRC.

 

You are correct on the location of Frost Town

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is one of those big white variance signs hung up in front of the house - it is all handwritten, which I haven't seen before.  I will try to get a pic the next time I go by....

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...