Minute Maid Park Mixed-Use Development

Brandon55

10 minutes ago, Purdueenginerd said:

Thats interesting. Is it common for MLB teams to be in the development industry for mixed use, etc?

Yes, I think pro teams increasingly try to bundle mixed-use projects in with new stadium developments.  It's another source of revenue for them.

• Like 9

• The title was changed to Mixed use next to Minute Maid Park
4 minutes ago, Subdude said:

Yes, I think pro teams increasingly try to bundle mixed-use projects in with new stadium developments.  It's another source of revenue for them.

First I've heard of this, I guess from a pure development standpoint it makes sense and is positive. But breaking into political discussion here a little bit,  is there evidence of MLB teams using these style developments as leverage against the public for stadium subsidies? I generally oppose subsidizing taxpayer dollars for new stadiums, but that dynamic could change if said MLB team is building hotels, apartments, and a litany of other businesses. 

3 minutes ago, Purdueenginerd said:

First I've heard of this, I guess from a pure development standpoint it makes sense and is positive. But breaking into political discussion here a little bit,  is there evidence of MLB teams using these style developments as leverage against the public for stadium subsidies? I generally oppose subsidizing taxpayer dollars for new stadiums, but that dynamic could change if said MLB team is building hotels, apartments, and a litany of other businesses. 

What’s going on in some cases (e.g. the proposed Oakland A’s new stadium) is that the taxpayers are essentially putting up the land with tax breaks. The owner gets to develop with private funds. Tax revenue is not actually used for construction, although there is the opportunity cost for the use of the land and less new tax revenue than might be had with a non-stadium related mixed use development.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I'm not really surprised  more and more teams are trying to make their stadiums  destinations  places outside of just attending the games.  That leaves stadiums like MMP , which were built before the MIX use craze,to have to use the land around them.  Let's be honest that back end of MMP is kind of a dead zone. If a hotel/residential / Entertainment  is built all the better for DT.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Purdueenginerd said:

Thats interesting. Is it common for MLB teams to be in the development industry for mixed use, etc?

Yes, Jerry Jones has set the standard for this and his real estate plays are a big reason the Cowboys franchise's valuation has gone through the roof. While this is not the stadium, to do what he did at a practice facility is unreal.

https://www.thestarinfrisco.com/

image.thumb.png.0f243723d45596f05b9ef6fffe478ee4.png

image.png.53163630db3b4dabe3fe7bc35876b43e.png

Edited by C List
Adding map
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, CaptainJilliams said:

I believe so, I know St. Louis, San Diego, and Washington D.C. have mixed-use developments surrounding their stadiums.

And I know Denver is in the process of completing theirs, as seen below:

2017-11-30_rockies-mixed-use_0.jpg

^^^ Again, this is in Denver, CO.

Also the Braves’ new stadium

https://www.multifamilyexecutive.com/design-development/atlanta-developer-takes-on-mixed-use-development-next-to-braves-new-baseball-stadium_o

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Packers have Titletown. Looks like they're adding a townhome component. 

Edit: Also, this must include the Home Plate Bar & Grill lot, too, right?

It says it's a 1.7 acre parcel, but 1800 Texas is only 1/3 of an acre. 

Edit2: Home Plate has the 1800 Texas address, so evidently duh. HTX Fan Tavern doesn't. 

Edited by wilcal

Ok, did a little digging. So City of Houston owns the land on both sides of Chenevert, with a total of 42,209 SF or just under an acre contiguous. Any sale probably includes an agreement to abandon Chenevert (otherwise no way it's worth $17 million), so that adds another 11,250 SF for a total of 53,459 SF. There is a little parcel owned by TxDOT just east of the locomotive and then some small tracts owned by the city, none of which I'm including until we know further. So at $17 million, that is $318/SF. Pretty good land value for our little downtown, especially considering there is no tunnel access and configuration is suboptimal with those bars there.

• Like 3

They need to have at least one large feature ride...maybe a tower ride to see the city or large rocket ride or combine the rocket shaped observation tower with a free fall drop ride and then name the whole area/development Astroworld... #RIP 

🚀

Edited by gene
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1