Minute Maid Park Mixed-Use Development

Brandon55

6 hours ago, wilcal said:

This spot? That would make a lot of sense!

lwiJM7F.png

Yes. This spot.

In fact, the half-way house lot the Astros now own would also make a perfect spot for an Astros Hall of Fame building, next to Heritage Park, the ballpark, and across from Union Station. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, tigereye said:

Yes. This spot.

In fact, the half-way house lot the Astros now own would also make a perfect spot for an Astros Hall of Fame building, next to Heritage Park, the ballpark, and across from Union Station. 

Too bad they did not have that land when they built the place because the ridiculous Crawford Boxes that are more beer league than MLB would not be a reality. The Minute Maid outfield could of been built without such crazy outfield dimensions which would of also allowed for more seating in the outfield. They could of shifted the whole basbeball park over and put more seating in front of the tracks while not having such short home plate-to -wall dimensions in the corners of the outfield.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, HOUCAJUN said:

Great news Nate! Now I wonder what's about to happen there. How did this slip under the radar?

It had to have been in the last couple of days, definitely wasn’t there last week. 

5 hours ago, Avossos said:

Are they going to tear the old buildings down!?

Good question. I would guess, but that’s just a guess. If what they build is as nice as other ballpark villages around the league then it would be an easier pill to swallow. Would be cool if they build above and around it but I wouldn’t hold my breath. 

I’ll take a pic today but I’m sure hindesky and highrise tower will beat me to it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, hindesky said:

I think the fact that they have placed all that plywood around the light pole may mean that they are going to demolish this building.

wYoVtQ4.jpg

wIGiGNG.jpg

Damnit smh 

Whatever takes its place better not be a bunch of glass. I’d love to see brick to compliment the ballpark. 

Edited by j_cuevas713
  • Like 3
  • Sad 2

11 minutes ago, SpaceGhost said:

Found something very interesting this morning while working on the upcoming Demolition post. Check out who is listed as the occupant for the demo permit. This could of course be outdated info, but could the Nau Center be back on?

196021245_ScreenShot2021-02-06at10_27_05PM.png.532b7390963dcc5a7c7f06227a609a07.png

I thought Jim Crane owned this lot? 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Highrise Tower said:

hFnxMBk.jpg

FWIW, the mod for the SP982 page on FB states the Cohn house will be relocated to a block in between 59 and MMP temporarily, then moved again once construction is underway on the 45 reroute. The new train site has been stated to be a mile away but is still under negotiation. 

https://www.facebook.com/1717138895199170/posts/2832130923699956/?d=n

With all that’s happening on this site, I feel confident enough to say...

Its Happening Ron Paul GIF

Edited by tigereye
  • Like 7

43 minutes ago, tigereye said:

FWIW, the mod for the SP982 page on FB states the Cohn house will be relocated to a block in between 59 and MMP temporarily, then moved again once construction is underway on the 45 reroute. The new train site has been stated to be a mile away but is still under negotiation. 

https://www.facebook.com/1717138895199170/posts/2832130923699956/?d=n

With all that’s happening on this site, I feel confident enough to say...

Its Happening Ron Paul GIF

I’ll go one step further. 

I feel pretty confident in predicting the Astros will unveil their ballpark village mixed use project at Minute Maid Park during the 2021 virtual Astros Fan Fest. Especially given what’s happening on the site currently and the timing with Fan Fest around the corner. 

Unless someone here spills the deets before then hehe 

• Like 6

33 minutes ago, tigereye said:

I’ll go one step further. 

I feel pretty confident in predicting the Astros will unveil their ballpark village mixed use project at Minute Maid Park during the 2021 virtual Astros Fan Fest. Especially given what’s happening on the site currently and the timing with Fan Fest around the corner. 

Unless someone here spills the deets before then hehe 

Thats a good point, we’re a week away from Fan Fest. I’m so happy the organization is creating a team village. Very cool! I hope it’s something like this in St. Louis.

03768F54-2C12-4347-BDA0-CEFBF726DE04.png

9B91549B-B9EF-4BD5-AB51-E76ACBF8FA1B.png

Edited by j_cuevas713
  • Like 6

31 minutes ago, nate4l1f3 said:

It’s goin doooown

9MvUDh4.jpg

IjzjHfG.jpgX1xVB3C.jpg

I'm torn about this.

On the one hand, these were attractive, historic structures which paired well with the brick and overall appearance of MMP.

On the other hand, Home Plate Bar & Grill (and the other bar whose name I don't even care enough to recall) were very, very gross, and the remediation and sanitization required would have meant stripping it down to the frame and studs anyway.  

I just hope that whatever they have in mind is a good fit and still echoes the overall motif of MMP. 

• Like 9

6 minutes ago, Houston19514 said:

Is it possible they are not tearing down the main building seen in the last photo (the one with the "HomePlateGrill.com" sign?  That seems worth keeping. The parts they are tearing down in the pics aren't much loss at all.

Nope. The wrapped light poles signal it’s a goner. 

On 2/6/2021 at 5:57 PM, hindesky said:

I think the fact that they have placed all that plywood around the light pole may mean that they are going to demolish this building.

wYoVtQ4.jpg

wIGiGNG.jpg

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, tangledwoods said:

here to cut the suspense, they will be building an asphalt parking lot.

Why? They already have lots extending to BBVA, plus added lots where they demolished Star of Hope and the halfway house behind CF. This is such a prime lot next to home plate, bridging the gap between the ballpark and ADLA/Discovery Green. 

And their interest in a mixed use development for this particular site has already been reported. I just can’t envision them doing all this work and negatively impacting the the pre/post game experience by paving over the only bars they have located next to the ballpark.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, tigereye said:

Why? They already have lots extending to BBVA, plus added lots where they demolished Star of Hope and the halfway house behind CF. This is such a prime lot next to home plate, bridging the gap between the ballpark and ADLA/Discovery Green. 

And their interest in a mixed use development for this particular site has already been reported. I just can’t envision them doing all this work and negatively impacting the the pre/post game experience by paving over the only bars they have located next to the ballpark.

I'm pretty sure he is being sarcastic, although knocking down historic buildings on a prime lot and paving it over would be peak Houston.  

• Like 5
  • Haha 1