Sign in to follow this  
CrockpotandGravel

1723 Westheimer

Posted (edited)

The building at 1723 Westheimer in Montrose was going to be renovated into a Turkish restaurant named Cafe Bosphorus.

Eater Houston wrote about it last June:

Montrose is already a solid place to start the day, and a new Turkish eatery called Cafe Bosphorus has plans to bring an even bigger spread of breakfast options to the neighborhood.

Signage is up at Cafe Bosphorus’ location at 1723 Westheimer Road, right near the intersection of Westheimer and Dunlavy. With Greek coffeehouse Agora and Common Bond Cafe & Bakery right across the street, this new addition effectively creates a breakfast trifecta in the neighborhood.

...Cafe Bosphorus is currently planning to open its doors in August.

https://houston.eater.com/2018/6/5/17429254/cafe-bosphorus-turkish-restaurant-opening-houston-montrose

Edited by CrockpotandGravel

Posted (edited)

The house / building at 1723 Westheimer in Montrose ( Houston ) was going to be renovated into a Turkish restaurant named Cafe Bosphorus. 

Cafe Bosphorus never opened after a fire in August.

Photo from Facebook:

PBEgvKc.jpg

5PmK1KA.jpg

n5ZdIyS.jpg

6Q6CwtH.jpg

p0OcbIA.jpg

B05GR1s.jpg

Photo from Google Streetview  in October 2018 of roof damage. (thread about the cleared and demo'd lot next to it at 1727 Westheimer lot here  )

roqJI8I.jpg

Edited by CrockpotandGravel
  • Like 1

From the Hollyfield Cleaner building thread:

A photo and update observation of 1723 Westheimer as of August 2019:

https://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/37520-hollyfield-cleaners-building-1731-westheimer-montrose-redevelopment/?do=findComment&comment=598474

11 hours ago, Luminare said:

The building next to that which is still beat up from the burnout of the building next to it still stands. I'm pretty sure they will demo this at some point. It just doesn't look structurally stable. I wouldn't want to go in at this point.

OldhyyN.jpg

• Like 3

I posted on another thread but seeing that the thought to be Voodoo donuts coming next door to this seems to be in limbo for some reason...maybe this would work? 

18 hours ago, gene said:

I posted on another thread but seeing that the thought to be Voodoo donuts coming next door to this seems to be in limbo for some reason...maybe this would work? 

Maybe. But wouldn't an out-of-state company want a building that doesn't have fire damage? Wouldn't that add on more costs into renovating the building?

• Thanks 1