Covenant House Texas Montrose At 1111 Lovett Blvd.

Highrise Tower

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20211122006641/en/Houston-Youth-Homeless-Shelter-Receives-750K-to-Redevelop-Facility

"CHT, created in 1983, is a faith-based organization committed to giving homeless youth a safe haven. The organization houses homeless youth in a long-term shelter which provides several counseling and educational programs for residents. The new $42 million, 104,000-square-foot campus will have common areas, offices and support services for its residents. The funds will help CHT increase its capacity by more than 50 percent, creating 26 residential double-occupancy dorm-style rooms to accommodate up to 52 homeless young adults aged 18 to 24."

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Paco Jones said:

ARCHITECT:

Gensler

INFORMATION:

4-story 104,491 SF building that will include 60 shelter units on levels 3 and 4.  The project also includes commercial grade food preparation, dish washing and serving facilities.

Don't let the renderings fool you, there is not an outdoor terrace.  That's actually just going to be a roof with screened in mechanical equipment on top.

2i08lMh.png

This shelter looks nicer than most Montrose apartments.

• Like 1

"They needed a new campus, she argued. One that could serve more people and that was built to meet their residents' needs.

On Friday morning, Covenant House took a step toward that vision, hosting a demolition ceremony for its longtime Montrose campus. In its place, it plans to erect a new $47 million campus that can serve 50 percent more youth — up to 150 people at time — in residential facilities, which include both emergency shelter and longer term housing. And while the new campus is underway, Covenant House residents have already moved to brand-new housing, an arrangement made possible, in part, by the pandemic."

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/housing/article/Covenant-House-a-shelter-for-homeless-youth-17509214.php#photo-23039342

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I feel like the elephant in the room that no one wants to talk about is that this piece of land is SO MUCH more desirable today than it was in 1983 when Covenant House moved in. Count me as surprised that they’re staying in the neighborhood. I’m all for their mission, but feel like their money could have been better spent by selling their land in Montrose and building an even bigger facility in a lower ppsf land value area of Houston.

• Like 3

This has absolutely been talked about and I remain staunchly against that idea. Moving at-risk people away from a neighborhood where they have easy access to services and public transportation is, at best, unproductive and unhelpful to those people.

I think there's an argument that they should have built bigger, maybe selling part of their land and building denser on a smaller parcel, but Montrose is absolutely where this kind of organization should be.

• Like 2

But Montrose is no longer what it used to be so yes they could have still been off Westheimer but either lower or upper Westheimer would make more sense...especially where they are now (east Elgin) makes more sense in it's proximity to downtown/bus station and cheaper i am sure...so I understand the argument. Back in the day Montrose made more sense because it was a place known for embracing all and a haven for those displaced or abandoned or looking for acceptance and a new start or those just really LIVING their authentic life and self...(i mean that should be the world in general but you know what i mean...Montrose was just cool like that!)... BUT i will say, wow to the new larger nicer facility...somewhere they can be proud to call work/home/etc...IF they were going to stay i am glad they are getting something incredible. 

Edited by gene

On 10/13/2022 at 9:45 AM, Paco Jones said:

ARCHITECT:

Gensler

INFORMATION:

4-story 104,491 SF building that will include 60 shelter units on levels 3 and 4.  The project also includes commercial grade food preparation, dish washing and serving facilities.

Don't let the renderings fool you, there is not an outdoor terrace.  That's actually just going to be a roof with screened in mechanical equipment on top.

2i08lMh.png

Any renderings of what the view will be from Hawthorne St?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Completely cleared and ready for Tellepsen to start building.

MtjMSW1.jpg

They painted parking spaces and fenced off the southwest corner of the Skanska's Westmont block, strictly guessing but I have a feeling it might be for the workers and Convenant employees.

CFQB17x.jpg

Edited by hindesky
  • Like 9

31 minutes ago, hindesky said:

Completely cleared and ready for Tellepsen to start building.

MtjMSW1.jpg

They painted parking spaces and fenced off the southwest corner of the Skanska's Westmont block, strictly guessing but I have a feeling it might be for the workers and Convent employees.

CFQB17x.jpg

I had no idea the size of the property was so huge. This new building will be much more noticeable. 

• Like 2