Sign in to follow this  
Parrothead

Town & Country/City Centre *update*

Eh...The townhomes or brownstone things look cheap and unoriginal if you ask me...

The two don't compare. One is in a growing suburb, the other in one of the most expensive zip codes in the city, at intersection of major freeways etc. You don't expect something better than PTC in Pearland do you. The developer'd be nuts to do that. Yet PTC is adequate for the area. The people love it. As for it being a 'Town Center', it's not but people don't care.

^what I was about to say...

Old Nancy is reporting again, from Sunday's Chronicle.

Houston is a bright spot for retail developments

The ailing economy is hurting retailers nationwide as consumers tighten their belts amid higher unemployment and harder to get credit.

But in Houston, sales have remained strong, thanks to new jobs and economic growth across all industry sectors, according to a retail report by Holliday Fenoglio Fowler, a mortgage banking firm.

Retail occupancy was flat at the end of the third quarter, averaging 91 percent. That

Does anybody else think they are asking too much $$$ for these?

http://www.thebrownstonesatcitycentre.com/plans.html

I mean, it's the suburbs, next to a giant freeway interchange. I guess they have a lot of square footage? Am I missing something?

I've always felt that way: Room with a View

They're insane for asking that much for those townhomes. In. Sane.

I've always felt that way: Room with a View

They're insane for asking that much for those townhomes. In. Sane.

Great article Sheeats.

WOW! Almost $1M + Estimated monthly maintenance fee of $451 and HOA annual dues $200.

Ri.di.cu.lo.us.

Wow, is anything else opening up soon? I was not aware they were this close to opening anything.

That's all I was able to find, Lifetime Fitness of course, has been open for a bit now too.

It's my understanding that most of the tenants committted to the second office tower have backed out now. Economy sucks.

Looking forward to Studio Movie Grill, though!!!

Wow, very nice!

You know I completely forget about this (just because it's not my side of town). I need to drive out there and take a look at the progress.

Went to studio movie grill this weekend. Very nice, I would say it is dead even with Alamo Drafthouse.

Pros:

Much better screen/sound (digital)

Arguably Better Food (opinion only)

Full Bar

Cleaner

More Screens

Better Tables

Cons:

Less Character

Less Beer

Squeaky Rolling Seats

My wife, friends and I went for a walk around. It is simply amazing in there, doesn't feel like Houston. You can't hear the freeway and you can't see anything but City Center when in City Center. I must say, when the beer bar, wine bar, sushi, etc open this little spot will have it all.

Color me very impressed. I have been all over the world and the beauty we see here will translate into generational beauty which is rare in this city.

Edited by SpringShadows

I don't see where it's been discussed in this thread, but Alex Brennan-Martin (of Brennan's) is opening two new restaurants in CityCentre: Cafe Rose and Bistro Alex. Both will be in the Hotel Sorella and both are -- to me, at least -- exciting because they're aren't chains. :D

http://blogs.houstonpress.com/eating/2009/...g_and_fancy.php

Cafe Rose will be a more low-key place but will have house-cured meats, fancy cheeses, wines, etc. Bistro Alex will be more on par with Brennan's, but apparently will be very modern. Exciting! :)

I went through here the other day, and I think it is very nice! I can't wait to see it progress more.

I drove by it from Beltway 8 and had to be really looking for it. I could barely see buildings going up and could see the "CITY CENTRE" sign, but it's kind of clear now why Town & Country Mall failed...

EDIT:

Question: When this thing is complete, will there be a stoplight at Town & Country Blvd. and Town & Country Way instead of the curve there is now?

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source...653225806451612

Edited by IronTiger

Went there this weekend to Studio Movie Grill. The parking garages are super convenient. You definitely get the idea of the potential this project when you walk through it.

Though it's technically not part of City Centre, we're going to check out Fleming's tonight...

Where is it?

Are there plans to convert Town And Country Village into City Centre?

What? No! See, what happened is there was this outdoor shopping district called Town & Country Village. Then in the early 1980s, they built an enclosed mall called Town & Country Mall to the north of it. The Mall and the Village co-existed. Then the Mall went downhill and was demolished (in what, 2005?). The Mall is being rebuilt as "CityCentre", not affliated with the nearby Village.

Planning on going to Studio Grill this weekend using those free movie passes, this is the last weekend!

what free movie passes?

There is an email going around with free tickets to Studio Grill for two I believe. I got mine through that anyway. I need to go use them this weekend.

I went to this center earlier, and it looked like nothing was open. Much of it was still under construction. very nice though!

We went during the weekend, but it was packed! Pretty much all the movies were sold out pretty early so we had to come back during the week.

It was pretty nice. Service time wasn't too bad and the food was pretty good. I liked it.

I paid SMG a visit last week, and I must say it was very nice. Saw Fast and Furious. The food was delicious... like really good, far exceeding my expectation. My friends got half drunk during the movie, for that reason the drive home was quite entertaining also with them yelling things that make little sense from the backseat.

The picture and sound quality was near perfect, but should be for a new theater. The way the whole setup works was well thought out and very efficient.

This place is going to make so much money as word of it spreads. I usually like to keep dinner and a movie separate, makes the evening last longer and seem fuller, but from time to time this combination is fun to visit, and visit it I shall.

Went to the new Fleming's steakhouse tonight for the first time (first time in any Fleming's, for that matter). I was pleasantly surprised. Steak isn't normally something I pay for in a restaurant -- I'd rather make them myself at home -- but this was exactly how I'd cook a steak, only with far better side dishes. :lol:

Very nice interior, typical steakhouse ambiance and design but slightly more upscale, great wine selection, good food. Makes a very welcome change from Taste of Texas up the road.

We walked around where we could this weekend and I'm really impressed. I really don't like most of these Town Market Centers because they're attempting to "be" or imitate something. CityCentre isn't trying to be a movie set or a street from a bi-gone era, it's what it is; and open air urban shopping district.

I'm not a huge shopper so I doubt I will park and walk it often, but it does have a few things I will visit a couple times a year. Not hugely impressed with some of the restaurant choices, most are upscale chain. Anyway, I think they did a great job for the Memorial Area. I don't think residents would have bought into the 1950's movie set look, so this was a good choice.

Does anyone know how the lofts and apartments are doing in pre-renting or sales?

Walked around City Centre this weekend. Looking really nice. The grass is planted and the fountains are flowing in front of the hotel. I think when this is finished, it is going to be a great addition to the city.

Does anyone know how the lofts and apartments are doing in pre-renting or sales?

The Domain was having an open house when we drove through the place this weekend. Not sure about the lofts, though. And what I'm really curious about is whether or not those super-expensive "brownstones" are ever going to sell.

On a related note, RA Sushi looks like it's almost ready to open. Had the patio furniture out and everything. I love their corner location, overlooking the main square and the fountains; great little perch up there, even if the food is moo.

We had dinner at RA tonight. They've got a great happy hour menu and pretty good sushi.

It looks like they're having an open house for the apartments/lofts. I don't think the brownstones are moving quickly... it seems the consensus is that they're a bit (or a lot) pricey. Maybe they'll be more appealing after the city centre project is closer to being completed.

We ate at Ra a couple of weeks ago, right after they opened and plan on going again this week for happy hour. They've done a nice job and are building a huge patio out back. The area in front of the Hotel Sorella looks nice, too!

We ate at Ra a couple of weeks ago, right after they opened and plan on going again this week for happy hour. They've done a nice job and are building a huge patio out back. The area in front of the Hotel Sorella looks nice, too!

We ate at Pronto in City Centre and found it very good, a nice reasonably priced place. Also Studio Movie Grill here is very good. Cant wait for Brio and others to complete and open. The Fire and Water landscape in front of the new hotel Sorella I believe is very nice also. This area is going to be awesome if it can deliver on its plan concepts in this tough market.

They need to update their website... Anthropologie is about to open... Had I not gone to the "centre" I would not know of this. Yes, that makes three for the Houston area!

We ate at Pronto in City Centre and found it very good, a nice reasonably priced place. Also Studio Movie Grill here is very good. Cant wait for Brio and others to complete and open. The Fire and Water landscape in front of the new hotel Sorella I believe is very nice also. This area is going to be awesome if it can deliver on its plan concepts in this tough market.

We ate at Pronto in City Centre...

Not to be picky, but Pronto is not in City Center. It is within the adjacent Town & County Village.

Ra Sushi has been open for a while

Hotel Sorella and the Mona Lisa lounge are open

Eddie V's opened last night

Anthropologie is now open

Straits looks almost done

Yard House is getting there

Bailey Banks and Biddle looked almost done

Bit by bit...