Stratford High School At 14555 Fern Dr.

Luminare

Since we Don't have Subforums for various "Villages" or Spring Branch, so I'll be putting these here for now.

In 2017 the residents of Spring Branch ISD passed a Bond Referendum. A couple of those projects will take place at Stratford High School. The current proposal calls for a demo of the existing auditorium and replace it with a new one. Other minor renovations include changes to the front entry and common areas.

Developer: SBISD

Architect: PBK

Estimated Completion: 3Q 2021

Bond Info:

https://www.springbranchisd.com/about/bond-2017/campus-bond-work/stratford-high-school

SUMMARY OF PROPOSED WORK

The project will replace the existing auditorium. It will also include security upgrades, educational specifications and mechanical and HVAC upgrades, along with a roof replacement, classroom furniture upgrades, new devices for all students, athletic upgrades and a synthetic turf practice field.

Since opening its doors in 1974, SHS has received several renovations and additions. The campus consists of 320,000 square footage with a 2017-2018 student enrollment of 2,148. 

Scope of Work

New auditorium, mechanical/HVAC System Upgrades; For better comfort control in hallways and classrooms. Exterior/interior upgrades, site improvement, roof replacement and athletic upgrades. 

Project Status

Design Phase

This one is still going through various options. After that point, whichever option they choose will go into further refinement.

SBISD Presentation (June 27th 2019):

https://resources.finalsite.net/images/v1563393350/springbranchisdcom/lfxeynq4jeahqydlyc5t/2019-06-21_PAT06_FINAL_email.pdf

Images from presentation:

bRJuJTs.jpg

R6y1wTF.jpg

cMgwt06.jpg

AF0zpKQ.jpg

lSCJLJM.jpg

pfY6cgt.jpg

3MOmegl.jpg

IoJbnzX.jpg

dS0B4S5.jpg

ljoLfa5.jpg

sj7lQGT.jpg

nmXgeLC.jpg

bOmZRH5.jpg

• Like 2

• The title was changed to Stratford High School 14555 Fern Dr
  • 7 months later...
  • The title was changed to Stratford High School Renovations
  • 1 year later...

Stratford closed its first show in the new theater this weekend, Peter Pan. It really is pretty impressive, almost rivals a professional theatre venue. Some thoughts:

• There is no space for an orchestra pit. The orchestra performs in a separate room and the music is piped in via the sound system. Takes away the point of a live orchestra.
  • The sound system is not optimized for live theatre. There is already talk about having to get extra speakers brought in. There is also talk of needing to add support structure for lighting. I'm not sure why these weren't specked in during the design phase.
  • Not enough bathrooms. Lines were super long at intermission. Seems like designs for live performance theaters always just use standard toilet:occupancy ratios of every other building type, ignoring the fact that in live theatre everyone goes to the bathroom during the same 15 minute interval.

But overall, great design, an amazing theater for an amazing (if quite a bit over-the-top) high school theatre program.

Edited by Reefmonkey
  • Like 1

Friendswood High School has started construction of a new performing arts center to replace a 50 year old auditorium. I hope they don't have the same problems Stratford had since the shows done out there are of professional quality.

Having the orchestra in a separate room is unacceptable! They're a major part of the show! 

• Like 1

On 5/4/2022 at 12:01 PM, Reefmonkey said:

Stratford closed its first show in the new theater this weekend, Peter Pan. It really is pretty impressive, almost rivals a professional theatre venue. Some thoughts:

• There is no space for an orchestra pit. The orchestra performs in a separate room and the music is piped in via the sound system. Takes away the point of a live orchestra.
  • The sound system is not optimized for live theatre. There is already talk about having to get extra speakers brought in. There is also talk of needing to add support structure for lighting. I'm not sure why these weren't specked in during the design phase.
  • Not enough bathrooms. Lines were super long at intermission. Seems like designs for live performance theaters always just use standard toilet:occupancy ratios of every other building type, ignoring the fact that in live theatre everyone goes to the bathroom during the same 15 minute interval.

But overall, great design, an amazing theater for an amazing (if quite a bit over-the-top) high school theatre program.

As a former violin player all through life up until end of college, uhhh this is pretty big. Live sound vs sound distorted by electrical transmission is 100% different. Also, even though alot of pits don't have you seeing the performers, you still take cues from the movement and sound. What in the what what. Was it just overlooked? Thats real bad. 

I would sue the design company lol. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, X.R. said:

Was it just overlooked? Thats real bad. 

I would sue the design company lol. 

I really don't know where the oversight happened. The head theatre director has been there since 1993, so you'd think she'd know this, but who knows how involved she really was allowed to be in approving plans, etc. I've heard the head of facilities for the district speak, and even asked him some questions (he has some outdated negative views of LEED), he seems like he might be the kind of guy who wouldn't be open to input on his domain from a "mere" teacher.

On the other hand, though, that theatre department does make some questionable decisions. Their winter show (at HBU since the new auditorium wasn't ready yet) was Legally Blonde, which I think is a horrendous show, and they just did it a few years ago, so doing it again was wierd, but whatever. Apparently it's the younger drama teacher's favorite show, so a passion project for her. What was really questionable to me is they hired a professional animal trainer who has worked on Broadway and in Hollywood so they could have a live chihuahua and bulldog in the show. The two dogs had maybe a minute 45 seconds total stage time combined. Their "presense" could have been done with stuffed toy dogs, it was a total unnecessary gimmick, and word is, it cost $15,000. And it was only one reason they wend wildly over budget. They also hire professional musicians to fill out the orchestra for all their musicals, and for Peter Pan they  hired two professional flys (system to make the actors appear to be flying) experts, a fight coordinator, and a choreographer. To me this blurs the line between an amateur educational vs professional production, and when they're in competition against other schools, many who can't afford these kinds of things, for awards like Tommy Tune, it makes one wonder how fair this is.

• The title was changed to Stratford High School At 14555 Fern Dr.