The Astoria: Condominium High-Rise At 1405 Post Oak Blvd.

wxman

Just had a conversation about this with my parents. They were thinking of getting a unit here and went by the sales office today and found just the right floorplan... then saw the view it would have.

The wanted to get one that would be the corner pointing directly towards the 24-Hour Fitness. The fact that they'd have offices looking in at them from half of the living room was enough for them to back out of the deal. Paying that much for a unit that has more than half of its view blocked was not something they were willing to do.

One thing they learned from the sales office though that was a little interesting: no assigned parking spaces and no self parking. All of the parking at the building will be valet only. Not something I've ever heard of a place doing before. Also, apparently the penthouse unit will be 5,000 sq.ft. interior space and 5,000 sq.ft. of patio.

• Like 1

This McDonald's is just ridiculous. They couldn't have just put one on the ground floor of some other type of building? They HAVE to put in a drive thru here and take up all that space for itself?

Like all those drive thru banks nearby (and places like midtown, also), this needs to be demolished (again). This is nothing short of "embarrassing" at this point. There is so much more that we can do with this land at this location.

• Like 1

We? Do we own that land? You seem to think that someone other than McDonalds (or a franchisee) owned that property and did something bad. What you do not seem to realize is that McDonalds owned the ENTIRE parcel, and sold half of it to the developer of the highrise. They could have not sold any of the parcel at all.

I am "embarrassed" at your lack of knowledge of how these things work.

• Like 2

There is so much more that we can do with this land at this location.

Is there ? Like what ? There are huge vacant lots not to far from this site that just sit vacant and have been for quite some time. There is even the older apartment building behind this building that could be redeveloped. So apparently the demand in that area isn't that high and this is the best and highest use the owner has for the site.

The dichotomy here *is* pretty ridiculous, but if there's no market impetus to make "better" use of the site, then McDonald's will do whatever is in their best interest. "We" only have a say in the matter insofar as we're willing to change city ordinances, and "we" have pretty routinely voted against zoning of any kind, for better and for worse. 

*Although, wouldn't this be subject to transit corridor regulations? I realize that, as written, those are really more suggestions than hard requirements, but... 

Edited by Texasota
  • Like 2

Is there ? Like what ? There are huge vacant lots not to far from this site that just sit vacant and have been for quite some time. There is even the older apartment building behind this building that could be redeveloped. So apparently the demand in that area isn't that high and this is the best and highest use the owner has for the site.

The old apartments lot is currently on the market.

• Like 2

We? Do we own that land? You seem to think that someone other than McDonalds (or a franchisee) owned that property and did something bad. What you do not seem to realize is that McDonalds owned the ENTIRE parcel, and sold half of it to the developer of the highrise. They could have not sold any of the parcel at all.

I am "embarrassed" at your lack of knowledge of how these things work.

Really RedScare? Okay..."they." MY BAD!!!

I would be "embarrassed" for your lack of understanding that "sometimes" people misuse a pronoun or two. It seems pretty obvious to me what I was trying to say. "Thanks" for ignoring that, though, and then...without even bothering to clarify (even though I used "they" twice beforehand) that I don't "think that I actually own part of that land" (or whatever you're trying to make it sound like)...commenting on that and only that part of my comment.

Did you "not see" the other two "they's" I wrote before the "we?" Gosh...that must be so "embarrassing."

Edited by por favor gracias

Actually, the embarrassment is the notion that somehow McDonald's should be forced to sell or give away their land so that your idea of a good use can be implemented. Are you unaware that McDonalds has owned that parcel for decades? Or, do you simply not care, and instead, advocate eminent domain for any property that you think should be repurposed? Do landowner have no rights in your world?

They sold off half of it. How much should they be forced to sell?

• Like 1

Just because there are empty lots nearby doesn't mean there is or isn't demand for SOMETHING. There are a number of things we...I'm sorry...THEY can do with that land that would make it more productive than this lone McDonald's. They could put a gym or something like the old 24 hour fitness that closed across the street there with it, or perhaps some shops like a book store, or a souvenir shop, or a nice barber shop or a cigar/smoke shop (especially if it meant they could get rid of that hideous Zone D' Erotica @ 610 and Westheimer), or it could be mixed-use...there are a number of ways to get more use out of this location. Shit, you could feasibly put a museum here.

"We" don't live in a communist country. We respect and protect individual property rights which is why we live in the most prosperous country in human history

Not that anyone asked...but "thanks for clearing that up."

Actually, the embarrassment is the notion that somehow McDonald's should be forced to sell or give away their land so that your idea of a good use can be implemented. Are you unaware that McDonalds has owned that parcel for decades? Or, do you simply not care, and instead, advocate eminent domain for any property that you think should be repurposed? Do landowner have no rights in your world?

They sold off half of it. How much should they be forced to sell?

I'm not saying or suggesting any of that. I just wish this land was used differently. Good Lord, man...lay off would you?

Why are you entitled to completely go off on this piece of land, yet I am not at all entitled to respond? Has this forum been banned for realists? Are only fantasies allowed?

Jesus, bunch of crybabies on this board.

I never said or suggested that you are or aren't "entitled to respond." You put a bunch of words in my mouth, and I asked you to lay off.

What's the big deal?

Just because there are empty lots nearby doesn't mean there is or isn't demand for SOMETHING. There are a number of things we...I'm sorry...THEY can do with that land that would make it more productive than this lone McDonald's. They could put a gym or something like the old 24 hour fitness that closed across the street there with it, or perhaps some shops like a book store, or a souvenir shop, or a nice barber shop or a cigar/smoke shop (especially if it meant they could get rid of that hideous Zone D' Erotica @ 610 and Westheimer), or it could be mixed-use...there are a number of ways to get more use out of this location. Shit, you could feasibly put a museum here."

There is a demand there ... A demand for a McDonald's that's why it is being built there. Why do you think the things that you stated have more of a demand then McDonald's? I mean the gym went out of business, if there was that much of a demand for a gym it would still be open but it closed because there was demand for a office building to be built on the site. A book store, I don't think new book stores are in great demand anymore. A souvenir shop, this is houston. A museum, it's uptown not the museum district.