The Astoria: Condominium High-Rise At 1405 Post Oak Blvd.

wxman

The McDonalds is officially closed.  If you need a burger in the north Post Oak area... God help you.  You will have to schlep down to the Jack in the Box on San Felipe.  Wah waaaah.

You could go to 5 guys! Also happens to be drastically better than Mcflurf too.

The McDonalds is officially closed.  If you need a burger in the north Post Oak area... God help you.  You will have to schlep down to the Jack in the Box on San Felipe.  Wah waaaah.

You say that as though any person with half a brain would big McDonald's as a first choice for a burger. ;)

Not really excited but confused. Isn't there the proposed middle bus lanes or something that they hope someday would be converted to rails? Is this what it meant by rails?

Yeah. The bus lanes are hoped to be a stopgap measure for 15-20 years until METRO gets it together and actually builds the rail line. I believe the idea is to just slap rails down on the bus lanes and call it a day when they finally do get around to it.

It most likely will by this summer or close to it. I believe they start construction once it hits 50%.

If that's the case, at the rate the sales are going by now, I wouldn't be surprised to see no delay at all between the McDonald's demo and the start of construction.

I think the fact that they have a large fixture in the Galleria (next to the Starbucks) encouraging shoppers to lease with them could be helping. This and the 2929 Weslayan are my favorites. The art deco architecture of this building is bringing me to life!  :D

• Like 1

They aren't going to force McDonalds to close its location if the space wasn't needed. Grant it, McDonalds Corp. may have had this location scheduled for a renovation at some point and they figured it would be easier just to tear the dump down than to renovate it. Either way, the closing of McDonalds in my mind signals it's all systems go for this project.

Would've posted this sooner, but the email addy I recieve these blasts from the developer is effectively my junk one now. Used to be my primary ages ago, but we all change... Anyway, this was recieved 2/8.

Dear *****,

Moving forward into the New Year, Astoria is making some real exciting progress. Our partnership has closed on the land, and the transaction completed. McDonald’s has closed next door, and will soon start on a new building, which is principally a small store with multiple drive thru lanes.

Uptown Houston is about finished with plans to expand the esplanades from Richmond and Post Oak to 610 and Post Oak. There will be a "Trolley" that runs the length of Post Oak, which will be a major plus for the neighborhood. Road construction is starting (I believe) in about 4 months and will take 18 months, which is close to our proposed timeline of completion. We are finishing our entire set of plans, both architectural and mechanical, over the next 45 to 60 days. We will then submit for a permit which is expected (subject to City of Houston delays) in April or May with 24 months to completion.

The final design is still a work in progress, but I am sharing a recent computer-generated image below which will better depict some of the detailing of Astoria. I am also working on the lighting at the crown of the building (this image is also shown below). More details on the coloration, materials and design elements will follow at a later date.

Sales are VERY, VERY GOOD - we have sold 30 of the 69 residences! This was accomplished in a short 5 months. Congrats to our sales manager, Gloria. We have also increased the height of the Astoria to 28 floors, as a client has purchased an entire floor with a pool. So we begin the month of February at 44% SOLD, and have several more clients in serious negotiations.

MORE TO COME SOON!

R D

RANDALL DAVIS COMPANY | 1210 W. Clay, Suite 10 | Houston TX 77019 | 713.526.3222

And the renderings...

AstoriaDetail_zpsfff72867.jpg

Astoria3_zps0be15de4.jpg

Astoria4_zpsc0f8d4b1.jpg

Actually included a couple of pics of the McDonald's demo as well...

ASTORIA2_zpsff11bc2e.jpg

• Like 4

"Road construction is starting...in 4 months and will last 18 months, which is close to our proposed time of completion..."
He's not following the news all that closely, is he? Road construction is starting in 2015 and will be finished sometime in 2017. ;)

"We have also increased to total height to 28 floors, as a client has purchased and entire floor with a pool."
Okay, admit it, among the people here, if you had the money, wouldn't you buy an entire custom tower floor with a pool?

Also, isn't the Cosmopolitan only like 25/26 stories? This is going to be taller?

Edited by Golyadkin

So we're still two years out from construction?!? Did I read right?

Nevermind, I think the permit will be submitted in April or May and then they start construction right then.

Somebody should also change it to 28-stories in the header.

Edited by wxman

The building looks A LOT like the cosmo.  I am generally pretty positive on here so don't call me a debbie downer, but I think this building will be drastically underwhelming. 

The gothic, cathedral style facade near the entrance could be very nice, but if it is done cheaply it will look like s**t.  

All this being said,  I hope for the best, sales are great already and any addition to the Uptown Skyline is fine by me!

• Like 1

The building looks A LOT like the cosmo.  I am generally pretty positive on here so don't call me a debbie downer, but I think this building will be drastically underwhelming. 

The gothic, cathedral style facade near the entrance could be very nice, but if it is done cheaply it will look like s**t.  

All this being said,  I hope for the best, sales are great already and any addition to the Uptown Skyline is fine by me!

I'm pretty sure it's intended to be sister tower to the Cosmo, hence the similar designs.