The Astoria: Condominium High-Rise At 1405 Post Oak Blvd.

wxman

Huge posters off "art"* at the top of Post Oak.

Elegant.

*Don't know what the posters are of. I look away and pretend they're not there.

Elegant.

Elegant.

Elegant.

Huh?

I thought the "huge posters of art" referred to what someone once referred to as "urinals of the gods" on the Post Oak side of the Cosmo.  I.e., what we got instead of the water feature RD teased us with in the earlier promotional material.

Um, to explain:  those of us who were watching the final phase of construction, expecting that what we were watching was construction of the water feature,  were surprised by what happened.  It started out looking like pedestal-style bathroom fixtures, after which they added the fake mosaic art posters above them.

Edited by ArchFan

1st) those huge posters of art can easily be changed one day for something else...

2nd) the only thing RD could do better would be if he had those changing color lights shining up on his buildings...nothing says class like changing color lights!!!

Edited by gene

ps...sorry this is slightly off topic but it seems all the galleria area streets now have the cool sidewalks/lighting yet Post Oak Blvd does not...is this because they are working on the widening of the street for the metro bus project?

the cool lights: http://www.hessamerica.com/Newsletters/201002/

and

the bus/road project: http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Uptown-transit-plan-back-on-the-road-4585111.php

anyone have any word that we will get these lights along Post Oak Blvd eventually?

A developer could build a hundred "The Mercers" and I'd rejoice at all the density and infill. Im just happy SOMETHING is going up.

Even NYC and Chicago have ugly buildings.

I thought this was an architecture forum. Maybe I was confused when I started following. It sounds more like a construction developer site. I realize work was slow and it helps the economy but

I can't believe the quantity over quality argument espoused all over this site. I would rather see less built but better thoughtful design for urban spaces. I think it's more important to create well conceived projects that address urban issues, and think more about how all these millions of new residents are going to get from home to work inside the loop once all of this infill that so many of you are craving gets built. I too would love to see Houston become a truly urban metropolitan area, but I would like to see a little restraint on the part of the developers to just put up anything they want. And why should we be excited with ugly, especially in quantity. Once it's built there's nothing you can do to hide it.

On the other hand you can go to another project and find people up in arms about marvy's new fiesta site project, and how poorly it fits in with the neighborhood.

Obviously there is a lot of inconsistency in the thinking on individual projects.

There seems to be a consistent thread that no matter what it looks like just so long as it gets it gets built.

I for one think that this is a terrible stance and if that'is what you want what happens to aesthetics, and smart design?

A developer could build a hundred "The Mercers" and I'd rejoice at all the density and infill. Im just happy SOMETHING is going up.

Even NYC and Chicago have ugly buildings.

I thought this was an architecture forum. Maybe I was confused when I started following. It sounds more like a construction developer site. I realize work was slow and it helps the economy but

I can't believe the quantity over quality argument espoused all over this site. I would rather see less built but better thoughtful design for urban spaces. I think it's more important to create well conceived projects that address urban issues, and think more about how all these millions of new residents are going to get from home to work inside the loop once all of this infill that so many of you are craving gets built. I too would love to see Houston become a truly urban metropolitan area, but I would like to see a little restraint on the part of the developers to just put up anything they want. And why should we be excited with ugly, especially in quantity. Once it's built there's nothing you can do to hide it.

On the other hand you can go to another project and find people up in arms about marvy's new fiesta site project, and how poorly it fits in with the neighborhood.

Obviously there is a lot of inconsistency in the thinking on individual projects.

There seems to be a consistent thread that no matter what it looks like just so long as it gets it gets built.

I for one think that this is a terrible stance and if that'is what you want what happens to aesthetics, and smart design?

I belive the conversation about quality vs quantity is an excellent topic point.  Perhaps it warrents a new forum topic, but Any Randall Davis building (yet built) will surely evoke just this type of debate.  And, if the topic were just QvsQ then RD would get dragged into it right quick. 

I live down the street on Post Oak and drive past this site everyday after work. Looks like they're really moving along. They have a good 6 - 8 feet excavated with two small cranes already on site. I honestly have no idea how that building is going to fit on such a small site. It's going to be one hell of a tight parking garage, and if they do widen Post Oak the road is basically going to be in the building's lobby.

• Like 2

Guest Jackwood

I'm glad that people are talking about the Astoria now. It's nice to see that people are becoming less obsessed with the McDonalds next door.  ;)

Edited by Jackwood
  • Like 3

Which site would that be? That little apartment complex behind the Astoria on Garrettson?

Yes i keep waiting to hear that they are knocking down The Winhall Townhouses since they sit right up against  the future Astoria property!