The Astoria: Condominium High-Rise At 1405 Post Oak Blvd.

wxman

It will be interesting to see if this project winds up being as successful as is suggested by the % sales counts mentioned.  It's the only high-rise condo project I'm aware of anyone starting here since the recession.  (As opposed to the high-rise rental properties, for which I wonder if they could be heading toward an overbuilt situation ... but that's a topic for another thread, i guess.)

There have been a few new patio-home style developments going up in the Uptown area that have sold (and are selling) very well.  So, it's clear that there is demand, and at least some financing, available for that type of development.  Perhaps a big success with the Astoria will contribute to resurrecting financing sources for high-rise condos, as well.

Will this be an urban McDonalds or will it have a drive thru? Will it be two stories? It would be nice if it was art deco to match the Astoria.

Just went by and talked to a guy who I think was a manager at McDonald's. What I got from him:

-McDonald's is closing in 10 days.

-McDonald's reopening in May. They are demolishing their current building and putting up a new one that's pushed over more towards the apartments at 1111 Post Oak. They are going to clear the site and get a new building up and opened within 3-4 months.

-This is the new McDonald's:

IMG_20130117_182219_zps6469170c.jpg

Based on this picture they had at the site, I'd say it is a pretty generic design.  There will be a drive thru and I'm pretty sure it's only one story.

I'm confused, too. So, the McDonald's they're building is what...just being moved a little from the original and sports a different look? Now what's to come of Astoria? is it going to be built AROUND the new McDonalds or what?

I was on board with this project til maybe a couple of weeks ago, then I got lost. I initially thought they were going to move the McD's down the street.

Get ready to get nerded out..Those are isolated shallow foundations or footings. Theyre typically used in low loading situations, many times theyre unreinforced. Square footings are the natural choice for cases where a single column load is to be supported. This appears to be the case above. I'm taking your word that concrete was poured in and not lean concrete or soil stabilization material. If it was concrete, burying of the footing is not that unusual. I'll simply quote my old foundations design book, (Engineering of Foundations-Rodrigo Salgado - Purdue University) Chapter 8, Shallow foundations in Soil 

The reinforcing mesh (fig. 8-11) and the formwork, if used, are prepared and positioned inside the excavation at this point (fig 8-12). Fig 8-12( B) also shows four dowels that will later be used to connect the steel columns to the footing. Concrete placement is the next step. The required cover ranges from approximately 40mm (1.5in). when a lean concrete coat is present at the base of the footing to approximately 75 mm (3 in) in the absence of any coat. If the soil is not aggressive (corrosive), a typical concrete mix would have a compressive strength of the order of 25-30 MPa (3500-4000 PSI). Concrete placement is followed, after curing, by back filling above the footing up to the level of the ground surface. this back fill is usually compacted.

From a difference source, a rough schematic of a footing with design variables for bearing calculations. Note the column where axial load is transferred in above the surface of the soil, while the bearing is below. That column could be steel (known as I-beams to most) or reinforced concrete. 

Image5.gif

I seriously doubt this McDonalds is building a steel reinforced concrete structure. Therefore It would not surprise me if there are dowels/baseplates for their steel columns later that are buried to reduce damage or trip hazards while they work on other elements of the structure. All this I've said is an educated guess based on two pictures---neither of which actually show the footings. I deal in the industrial world, not commercial. I could still be incorrect :)

Edited by Purdueenginerd
  • Like 4

Great post.  For the record... let me say that I would not know the difference between concrete, lean concrete, or a soil stabilization material.  It was grey and came out of a cement truck, that's all I know.  

Photos from this week...

3/13/2013:  They dug out the perimeter and uncovered the footings (thanks PurdueEnginerd).

IMG_1774_zps35d23c3a.jpg

IMG_1773_zpsccd9d89a.jpg

3/15/2013:

IMG_1777_zpsa7f70e29.jpg

• Like 4