The Astoria: Condominium High-Rise At 1405 Post Oak Blvd.

wxman

You are allowed to build up to the property line, no setbacks required, as long as you have a 2hr fire rated wall- which means no windows. If you want windows you need a setback.

My guess is the parking garage will be a block wall along the parking lot, and then the building will set back to allow for windows for the condos.

Wow!

Thank you for this info. I appreciate it.

You are allowed to build up to the property line, no setbacks required, as long as you have a 2hr fire rated wall- which means no windows. If you want windows you need a setback.

My guess is the parking garage will be a block wall along the parking lot, and then the building will set back to allow for windows for the condos.

I don't think there's any setback planned above the parking garage levels. 

I don't think there's any setback planned above the parking garage levels.

Just looked at the pictures of the model. There is a small setback. On top of that, the widows could be recessed to allow for the openings to be further back from the property line. You can get away with small setbacks as long as you limit the percentage of non-rated openings. But you cannot have any openings at all on the property line (unless they are 2hr rated, which makes them both ugly and expensive).

This is from the building codes, and the city would never give exemptions to this since it's a safety issue.

I would imagine that the deal with McDonalds also included some air rights or height restriction easements. Otherwise, you risk having a tower 10ft away from your expensive condo windows. If I was going to purchase a unit there, I would make sure some agreement of the sort is in place.

Just looked at the pictures of the model. There is a small setback. On top of that, the widows could be recessed to allow for the openings to be further back from the property line. You can get away with small setbacks as long as you limit the percentage of non-rated openings. But you cannot have any openings at all on the property line (unless they are 2hr rated, which makes them both ugly and expensive).

This is from the building codes, and the city would never give exemptions to this since it's a safety issue.

Interesting.  How much of a setback is required?

I would imagine that the deal with McDonalds also included some air rights or height restriction easements. Otherwise, you risk having a tower 10ft away from your expensive condo windows. If I was going to purchase a unit there, I would make sure some agreement of the sort is in place.

This was discussed earlier in the thread.

I think that it is very likely that the McDonald's tract has height restrictions.

http://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/26018-updates-on-the-astoria-condos-28-stories-at-1405-post-oak-boulevard-in-uptown-houston/?p=423063

This would never be allowed for certain types of secure buildings that require barricades from the street such as giant concrete planters, I mean could even a drunk driver penetrate this building since it is so close to the street?

Heh.. People complain about BLVD Place being too far back from the road/having parking in front of it. And people are now saying this development is too CLOSE to the road (btw, it will be even closer when they widen post oak). Lol, I guess we can't please everyone.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

McDonalds has finally lost it relative safeness. Now it will be one of those scary parking lots, novel at first, but when stains come fears follow. I like it as an architectural space but would consider the incident of  "things dropped from above" as an agent provocateur. I wouldn't wanna live there thou and I live across the street from a McDonalds too; but it's across the street like I said..Hopefully the Post Oak upgrades bring more lunchy crowds on foot and it basically stays the same. 

McDonalds has finally lost it relative safeness. Now it will be one of those scary parking lots, novel at first, but when stains come fears follow. I like it as an architectural space but would consider the incident of  "things dropped from above" as an agent provocateur. I wouldn't wanna live there thou and I live across the street from a McDonalds too; but it's across the street like I said..Hopefully the Post Oak upgrades bring more lunchy crowds on foot and it basically stays the same. 

In my opinion I feel like that McDonalds wont be there for long considering how quickly uptown is changing and developers seem to be considering the best use for their lots and who knows maybe someone will buy that McDonalds and tear it down. Of course for now it is kinda dangerous for a fast food house to be butting up against a 28 story building. 

If you haven't been able to witness the morning insanity at that McDonalds, I would consider a trip over.  From 7-9am there are two (repeat, TWO) off-duty cops directing traffic through the drive-through lines, which stretch (side by side) all the way to the street.  If you want "quintessentially Houston", this gets my vote.

As an aside, since I live across the street... They have improved the cluster-f**k of left-turns there.  So while it's completely insane, I appreciate their presence.

• Like 4

Set-back is on the south side. As is the 7th floor pool.

Ok, thanks! That's what it looked like from the angle but I thought someone was talking about a setback on the mcdonalds side since it was right on the property line. Maybe I misunderstood or they were mistaken..