The Astoria: Condominium High-Rise At 1405 Post Oak Blvd.

wxman

• 1 month later...

Just like the Titan, only this time, McDonald's is staying put.

I am wrong. McDonald's is being demolished in Q1, 2013.

Made a quick phone call to RD, and surprisingly, was transferred to Mr. Davis...(nothing firm, he was nice enough to at least give me information on soft dates and plans that was not official for a press release)

So long story short, it is essentially Titan 2.0, just now it's a new building, new name.

Same spot, same base, and no McDonalds, and hopefully this one breaks ground.

I still like the design of the Titan crown, but Astoria still has charm.

UPDATE:

It's gained a floor since the last update. 25 floors now.

3 floors taller than the Cosmopolitan, and same floor count as it's predecessor.

TAKING HIGH-RISE LIVING TO NEW HEIGHTS.Combining modern architectural elegance with art deco features, this is a home for a select few. Twenty-five floors of superlative custom high-rise living.
Edited by Pumapayam
  • Like 7

I really liked Titan, but I like this better. Nice update!

I say make Astoria mixed-use and put a Mc'Ds on on the first floor, what do yall think? ;)

Oh yeah, and did anyone notice the shape of the building has changed from a square to a triangle? Check out the floor plans. Maybe that's why it's taller, too? NM, skylineview already pointed that out. How many triangle shaped buildings do we have? This is cool.

Edited by lockmat
  • Like 1

YAY!!!!

I actually have nothing of actual value to post here. I'm just happy to know that that McDonald's is finally getting replaced by a really nice tower. I was so upset when the Titan was cancelled. I haven't been following the Astoria at all for a while, so this was awesome to see.

Although once it starts going up, I'll have yet another project I can post updates about just by taking a picture out of my window. ;)

*does happy dance*

Edited by Golyadkin

It looks very Gotham/1920s to me. I like it a lot in the rendering, we will just have to wait and see as to how it translates in real life.

There is so much going on here: The Astoria, Hanover (BLVD), Five Oaks, BBVA, Skanska, and the one on Westheimer....getting kinda crazy!

• 4 months later...

bidclerk says the estimated start date is in April. Page Southerland Page is the architect and GT Leach is the GC. 28 stories. This was updated yesterday.

its looks like they update the rendering to reflect the actual location.

psp_astoria_exterior_01-resized.jpg

Edited by lockmat
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Just went by and talked to a guy who I think was a manager at McDonald's. What I got from him:

-McDonald's is closing in 10 days.

-McDonald's reopening in May. They are demolishing their current building and putting up a new one that's pushed over more towards the apartments at 1111 Post Oak. They are going to clear the site and get a new building up and opened within 3-4 months.

-This is the new McDonald's:

IMG_20130117_182219_zps6469170c.jpg

• Like 3

That's pretty interesting. Here's the site... (taken with my phone... it's 8am and I'm feeling lazy).

AstoriaSite1192013_zps9f936908.jpg

Sweet view, sp when are you hosting the HAIFy part :)

So they are going to rebuild the McD's on the same lot but just closer to those apts? That seems weird. Not saying its not happening, just weird. It seems like Astoria would need the entire lot.

Through talking with the guy at McDonald's and looking at the renderings on their website, it looks to me like the edge of the tower is going to be somewhere between that white strip in the parking lot and the edge of the current McDonald's. I think they are pushing it over as far as they can while still having just enough room for a drive thru on that side. I suspect the tower is going to have a much smaller footprint than most of us expected.

I suspect that's a lot bigger lot than we realize. Astoria isn't a big tower anyway, just taller and that McDonalds is like the biggest I've ever seen. The footprint of the new McDonalds will be far smaller. Plus removing that trailer thingy on the site will open up the area quite a bit. I mean look what they build downtown (Mainplace) with that while building (forget the name of it) sharing the lot. I thought that was much more impressive.

I drove past a different McDonald's today, one that is the new style building that will be going here. It's really thin. With enough space for a drive thru, the edge of the building won't be any farther out than the flag poles out front, if that.

Edited by Golyadkin