The Astoria: Condominium High-Rise At 1405 Post Oak Blvd.

wxman

From the today's edition of the Houston Business Journal (Jan. 27th)

http://assets.bizjournals.com/houston/blog/breaking-ground/Astoria-Exterior.jpg
I wrote a story in the Jan. 27 edition of the Houston Business Journal that details plans by Randall Davis and Roberto Contreras to build a new condominium tower in the Galleria area using $40 million from foreign investors through a federal immigration program.
We ran a rendering of the 23-story Astoria, which is designed to have 55 condos, but did not have room to show other projects developed by Davis. The owner of Houston-based Randall Davis Co. has developed and redeveloped numerous residential buildings over the last two decades in the Houston area.
Click on the slideshow to the right to see some of his other projects.

Webcam:

http://oxblue.com/open/transwestern/5oaks

Latest rendering and info:

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/real-estate/article/Galleria-area-tower-has-global-backing-5373796.php

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w208/houtosme/AstoriaLarge_zps268e5287.jpg

• Like 1

They haven't even purchased the land yet.

They want to start construction this year and only need 15-20 investors to get it kick started. They want to duplicate this development model for other projects too like a high-end hotel w/ condos on top.

I'm curious how often these efforts come to fruition? It seems like it's more and more likely that the hotel by the GRB will get done, and they're using this same program.

Edited by lockmat

I have to say what I feel (reminds me of that song from the Golden Girls---yes, I watch that show. What I'm gay, don't judge me! lol)....anyway, I think the BLVD Place development is a bore without the highrises. I think it's a wasteful use of valuable land and space. It's just my opinion and it means nothing.

I have to say what I feel (reminds me of that song from the Golden Girls---yes, I watch that show. What I'm gay, don't judge me! lol)....anyway, I think the BLVD Place development is a bore without the highrises. I think it's a wasteful use of valuable land and space. It's just my opinion and it means nothing.

I agree... Except the golden girls part. I dont know why Post Oak didnt fill up back in the 80's, why San Felipe got two +40 office towers,and Post Oak got strip center heaven...

The building makes you think of that song?

• Like 1

I agree... Except the golden girls part. I dont know why Post Oak didnt fill up back in the 80's, why San Felipe got two +40 office towers,and Post Oak got strip center heaven...

The strip centers were there long before the high rises. Four Leaf towers and all those buildings, plus Transco were built in the 80. I think Post Oak Central was the 70's.

LOL...there was an episode on the Golden Girls where they sang a song about Miami. The song began with ''I have to say what I feel" which is how I opened up my previous statement. I guess if you were avid watchers of the show like I am/was, then you'd know instantly what I was talking about.

Sorry for the distraction. Back to topic :) :)

Btw, we should dream up a song about Houston....anybody?

Edited by wxman
  • Like 1

LOL...there was an episode on the Golden Girls where they sang a song about Miami. The song began with ''I have to say what I feel" which is how I opened up my previous statement. I guess if you were avid watchers of the show like I am/was, then you'd know instantly what I was talking about.

You were really in the mood just to sneak in a Golden Girls reference.

Hey, the subject is it should be change from 23 stories to 24 stories. . .#justsaying

I hope this project (if built), will look closer to the rendering, unlike his other projects. Cosmopolitian came out cheaper looking, a huge disapointment in my book.

The Cosmo was a lot less detailed and had cleaner line.

I dunno, I am indifferent to the statues he uses.

From Swamplot:

Houston EB-5 is looking for 40 such investors to pony up $1 million each for stakes in the development partnership behind Davis’s new Galleria tower. But unlike a similar EB-5 scheme for a hotel headed up by former Houston mayor Lee Brown over in East Downtown, Davis’s project offers investors a potential place to live that they’d be able to sell later as real estate..
  • Like 1

The Greek god posters on foam board pedestals don't scream classy and chic?

Haha you don't like the Greek and or Roman gods? Unless you can prove otherwise I think their ethnicity it up for dispute.

The building doesn't look bad from a distance though especially when compared to the faded-by-design red panels of the four leafs.

(This post does not in any way attempt to justify the blank walls, I also agree they should not be there and I hope this new building does not follow suit)

Edited by Nick_G

The Greek god posters on foam board pedestals don't scream classy and chic?

Whenever I pass by there, I still laugh when I recall the comment of someone here -- before the posters finally went up -- describing the faux-pedestals as "urinals of the gods". They do kinda look like bathroom fixtures.

Wish they had gone instead with the waterwall-like feature depicted in the earlier promo sketches!

I suppose the idea is that this building pays homage to the Waldorf in NYC, but I would love to see something original and modern on this space. It just seems a little cheesy to me. I will give Randall Davis a good deal of credit for trying to create new projects.

• 4 months later...