10 And Heights: Mixed-Use At 1515 Studemont St.

Triton

On 10/17/2022 at 3:34 PM, steve1363 said:

I feel for you…maybe with greenery the parking lot can be disguised from the freeway?

On the other hand my beloved DaCapo’s is being turned into a dog bakery!  I’m so upset about that.

I love your optimism that the developer will actually invest in greenery. I have a feeling its gonna be a few sad builder grade bald cypress saplings that may or may not take hold...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/9/2022 at 6:07 AM, IntheKnowHouston said:

The site plan for 10 and Heights, located at  at 1515 Studewood St, was updated yesterday.

In addition to Wild Forks, other tenants include:

• Palazio Nail Salon (1515 Studewood St, Suite 107)
  • Thaicoon - a local contemporary Thai restaurant (1515 Studewood St, Suite 109)
  • Yummy Seafood - local Vietnamese restaurant (1515 Studewood St, Suite 110)

Community Impact has more on Yummy Seafood's expansion to the 10 and Heights development at 1515 Studewood St. The estimated opening timeline is fall 2023.

From last week's article:

"Officials with Yummy Seafood & Oyster Bar in Katy Asian Town said they have signed a lease to bring a new location to a development coming to 1515 Studemont St., Houston, just south of the Katy Freeway, where Party Boy was formerly located."

https://communityimpact.com/houston/heights-river-oaks-montrose/dining/2022/10/25/yummy-seafood-in-katys-asian-town-signs-on-for-new-studemont-street-restaurant/

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
1 hour ago, emmanume said:

I can’t believe that they have parking both on the side of Studewood and facing the trail!! Such disregard. This development could have easily been integrated right onto the trail with some walk up stairs or switchbacks

Exactly! So many developers in this city either don't care or are completely out of touch with what people want today. And to think that a Metro BRT stop will be right next to this!? Idiots

Edited by j_cuevas713
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, j_cuevas713 said:

Exactly! So many developers in this city either don't care or are completely out of touch with what people want today. And to think that a Metro BRT stop will be right next to this!? Idiots

I would hazard a guess that the vast majority of people in Houston don't really care where the parking is, just that there is parking. If they can see that there are spaces, they are more likely to visit.

• Like 1

yall remind me of this from steve jobs:

“Some people say, "Give the customers what they want." But that's not my approach. Our job is to figure out what they're going to want before they do. I think Henry Ford once said, "If I'd asked customers what they wanted, they would have told me, 'A faster horse!'" People don't know what they want until you show it to them. That's why I never rely on market research. Our task is to read things that are not yet on the page."

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Ross said:

I would hazard a guess that the vast majority of people in Houston don't really care where the parking is, just that there is parking. If they can see that there are spaces, they are more likely to visit.

And that's the problem with how developers approach design. While there are parking minimums in this part of town, the design layout is lazy and lacks any level of creativity. You can maximize the space by properly placing parking while at the same time addressing pedestrian needs. A trail connection should have been a given right off the bat. There will also be a BRT station here, yet no thought was put in to how this development will interact with that. I guarantee you it's going to deter potential customers solely based on the idea that we as humans take the path of least resistance.

Edited by j_cuevas713
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, j_cuevas713 said:

And that's the problem with how developers approach design. While there are parking minimums in this part of town, the design layout is lazy and lacks any level of creativity. You can maximize the space by properly placing parking while at the same time addressing pedestrian needs. A trail connection should have been a given right off the bat. There will also be a BRT station here, yet no thought was put in to how this development will interact with that. I guarantee you it's going to deter potential customers solely based on the idea that we as humans take the path of least resistance.

Contact the developer and tell them what you've told us here. Maybe they don't know about the BRT, it's not mentioned in the leasing brochure. This is a 2 story building with office space(or whatever) on the top. It's a weird shaped piece of land that needs to have space for parking for customers and tenants, and a reasonable way for the dumpsters to be emptied.

Where would you put the building? Where would you put the dumpsters and service areas? 

• Like 1

"P.J. Jamea, a partner at Oxberry Group, said that the wrought-iron fence was technically on the developers' property and that the contractors, believing it to be a remnant from the former Party Boy store that occupied the site until 2020, had torn it down without consulting anyone. He said that he has spoken with the Descendants of Olivewood and would re-erect the wrought-iron fence once the retaining wall is completed."

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/olivewood-cemetery-dispute-17624957.php#photo-23240549

kGqKVsv.jpg

Excuse the roughness of this layout, I did it in like 5 mins, but the idea is there. It would have been nice for the developer to have put some thought in to the placement of the main building, but when cars are the only thing on a developers mind, then placing a building in a sea of parking makes sense. First I think dividing the main building in to 3 smaller structures would have laid out nicer than just one giant building. The smallest structure could front the street and the two larger ones could front the bayou, with all 3 buildings connected by a small plaza on the corner with connections to the trail and a possible future connection to the BRT station. That way parking is consolidated in the corner and surrounded by the building with one main entrance/exit on to Studemont. The plaza area could be simple with a couple of benches and trash cans. It doesn't have to be grand or expensive for the developers sake. All in all you would create a much more inviting/accessible place and not just this thing sitting next to the freeway. 

Studemont Building Site Plan.png

Edited by j_cuevas713
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...