Proposed Residential Development At 400 Jensen Dr.

Urbannizer

This particular lot is very low lying relative to the land around it. Based on the permit, they look to be raising it up a bit and leveling it off.

Bayou Vista currently owns the land, and has since 2014. They were active a decade or more ago in developing the East End, but their current holdings (those listed in their name, at least) are limited to this lot. Not sure if the 400 Jensen development was going to be a joint development between Bayou Vista and Marquette, or if there was a planned transfer that fell through. 

12.3 Buffalo Bayou LP is an entity connected to Richard Weekley, who is very active in commercial real estate and a co-founder of David Weekley Homes (with his brother).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• The title was changed to 400 Jensen Dr: 9-Story Residential By Marquette Companies

Work continues on elevating this property. I talked with a young man who said his dad still owns the property and he wasn't aware that Marquette was going to develop any apartments here. He also said his aunt used own the property that the Triten Mill project is going to develop where the temporary Drive Inn is. He mentioned that he personally did work on the civil portion of Marquette's Forth and he works for his dad. He was directing the dump trucks were to dump the dirt they were bringing. He said they elevating this to make it more marketable for someone to buy.

St74F5f.jpg

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • The title was changed to 9-Story Residential By Marquette Companies - 400 Jensen Dr.
  • The title was changed to 9-Story Residential Development At 400 Jensen Dr.
  • 2 months later...

This seems to moving forward. Crew was digging to connect to the existing sewer line. Noticed about 12 surveyor's stakes on the western portion and 3 about third of the way on the eastern part which I guess could mark the eastern boundary. Again the crew had zero clue what was going to be built.

QBxhUHQ.jpg

UFBDiBH.jpg

aB8WFPs.jpg

vIA1w2P.jpg

ZwZBCBz.jpg

hkIZdbY.jpg

V7mw0OX.jpg

Bc4OLEu.jpg

YAPbwsa.jpg

vXPUfEQ.jpg

suyhyxz.jpg

ydMSU6F.jpg

jbRfynC.jpg

cZCkLhU.jpg

pPeBQVM.png

brglgMb.png

• Like 7

I’m hoping this isn’t more HHA housing because there are already two in the direct area being developed and I’d prefer something with retail, but that’s what I’m expecting. This is all I can find and it mentions low income housing, maybe things have changed.  

https://www.aghaengineering.com/jensondriveprivatesitedevelopment

• Like 1

Several years ago I saw several dump trucks adding fill dirt and a dozer spreading it so they could elevate the property. The kid I talked to said his dad owned the property and his Aunt owned the property where The Mill is going up. His dad also owned the property where The Forth is located.

• Like 1

Hopefully, they design the back of the building/ towards the bayou to be visually appealing. It's going to be sitting directly in front of the "City Centre" of the area, it would be really annoying if that view would be destroyed by an exposed parking podium/ parking/ fencing. Not only that, it sits right along a bayou trail. 

However, not holding my breath.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Forth has been complete for some time now. Interesting that it's shown as an ongoing project.

Maybe this means they will eventually move to the originally planned phase 2 remodel of Alamo Tamales and the building hosting the Maritime Museum.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Please, don't have a cheap replica of a lighthouse anywhere on the property.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

18 hours ago, JBTX said:

20230502_143226.jpg

Was this on the street right off of Jensen (Bayou Parkview Drive) ? I just went over there to check it out but there was no signage. I can’t quite make out what the Proposed Land Use is and wanted to check it out myself. What does that say? Thank you. 

Edited by I'm Not a Robot

3 hours ago, I'm Not a Robot said:

Was this on the street right off of Jensen (Bayou Parkview Drive) ? I just went over there to check it out but there was no signage. I can’t quite make out what the Proposed Land Use is and wanted to check it out myself. What does that say? Thank you. 

Yes, this was off Jensen and Bayou Parkview Dr., roughly across from McAlpine. Very odd that it is not there.

Looking at the photo, there is some data loss for sure. The proposed Land Use on the sign says "to create two reserves." Sign is definitely odd.

• Thanks 1

Looks like it's planned to be the BBQ Shed (3) maybe they'll incorporate a lighthouse into the design? The Maritime museum will be across the bayou, and a boat landing on the south bank directly west of the lot
image.png.a0f3ae9e98b5e6a1f7304e6fef4baba8.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Luminare said:

I can't think of anything more Texan than a 9 story BBQ building. Truly, in Texas, everything is bigger.

The BBQ shed is on Buffalo Bayou Partnership property not where the possible 9 story apartments would be. The two lots are side by side.

9 story on the left next to Jensen Dr. Buffalo Bayou Partnership on the other side of the dirt road.

YFjpMco.png

• Like 5

10 hours ago, hindesky said:

The BBQ shed is on Buffalo Bayou Partnership property not where the possible 9 story apartments would be. The two lots are side by side.

9 story on the left next to Jensen Dr. Buffalo Bayou Partnership on the other side of the dirt road.

YFjpMco.png

Nah, 9-storey BBQ is official head canon now

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

• The title was changed to Proposed Residential Development At 400 Jensen Dr.
  • 6 months later...

I don't know if there is an ordinance or something preventing it ... but I just feel that there is a better way to construct pathways (both pedestrian and cyclist) in this city, as opposed to what some of these recent developments are doing.

You can see the problem in the streetview below — a historical structure of good form w/respect to the bayou banks (while admittedly old and worn out) was completely razed, only to be replaced with a sidewalk that looks more at home in Cinco Ranch (rather than the downtown of America's 4th largest city).

https://www.google.com/maps/@29.7635853,-95.3578698,3a,75y,176.78h,90.1t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sk5tl9jQvAGpLL6g1C5YgLg!2e0!5s20230101T000000!7i16384!8i8192?hl=en&entry=ttu

53 minutes ago, __nevii said:

I don't know if there is an ordinance or something preventing it ... but I just feel that there is a better way to construct pathways (both pedestrian and cyclist) in this city, as opposed to what some of these recent developments are doing.

You can see the problem in the streetview below — a historical structure of good form w/respect to the bayou banks (while admittedly old and worn out) was completely razed, only to be replaced with a sidewalk that looks more at home in Cinco Ranch (rather than the downtown of America's 4th largest city).

https://www.google.com/maps/@29.7635853,-95.3578698,3a,75y,176.78h,90.1t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sk5tl9jQvAGpLL6g1C5YgLg!2e0!5s20230101T000000!7i16384!8i8192?hl=en&entry=ttu

Totally agree with this - those sidewalks are probably more cost efficient. I don't know how the city budgets aesthetic when it comes to sidewalks but I feel like special provisions should be made for historical parts of the city.

• Like 1