Proposed Residential Development At 400 Jensen Dr.

Urbannizer

13 minutes ago, Urbannizer said:

The quality of these keeps getting better. Very contemporary look. Site Plan is solid (though would have liked them to put more building mass along Kennedy St). Can we get confirmation that they are going to do what they plan around the Silos? That empty land in front of the Silos is a perfect area for a neighborhood park with some small retail pavilions.

• Like 1

How can they improve connections between this and EaDo?  Right now, getting from this site location to East Village (I chose it as sort of a center of St. Emmanuel strip of developments) is:

- 8 - 9 minute, 1 1/2 mile drive that takes a roundabout path

- 1.2 mile walk that involves just crossing the train tracks instead of using the Navigation underpass

- I won't even dignify Google Maps' public transit directions with a description

Looking at the map, I think they would need to redo the St Emanuel/Navigation/Franklin intersection so that you can go south from Navigation; doing that could enable a circulator bus that could run up and down St Emanuel, as well as providing a better driving path.  Walking wise, they would either have to completely redo the Navigation underpass, or more likely add a pedestrian bridge somewhere.  

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, cspwal said:

How can they improve connections between this and EaDo?  Right now, getting from this site location to East Village (I chose it as sort of a center of St. Emmanuel strip of developments) is:

- 8 - 9 minute, 1 1/2 mile drive that takes a roundabout path

- 1.2 mile walk that involves just crossing the train tracks instead of using the Navigation underpass

- I won't even dignify Google Maps' public transit directions with a description

Looking at the map, I think they would need to redo the St Emanuel/Navigation/Franklin intersection so that you can go south from Navigation; doing that could enable a circulator bus that could run up and down St Emanuel, as well as providing a better driving path.  Walking wise, they would either have to completely redo the Navigation underpass, or more likely add a pedestrian bridge somewhere.  

Agreed. Its really easy to get East to West, but very difficult to go North and South. Below is a potential idea:

e9OEMNq.jpg

Swing Emancipation under the railroads and hook it up with St. Charles St or potential rename St. Charles St into a continuation of Emancipation all the way down once this connection is made. While Reroute will potential solve this there still needs to be a good inner through street further east. This could potential work.

EDIT: Would also abandon that merger of Emancipation and Congress and that small portion of Preston St. Those Streets are pretty useless.

Edited by Luminare
  • Like 3

22 minutes ago, Luminare said:

EDIT: Would also abandon that merger of Emancipation and Congress and that small portion of Preston St. Those Streets are pretty useless.

That stub of Preston is so useless it's a gravel road.  It looks like there was a paved road that got abandoned at some point.

How much use does that track that's on commerce still get?  It still being there might give pause to making a new under pass that would immediately hit that

2 hours ago, Urbannizer said:

https://www.marquettecompanies.com/new-development

In early 2020, Marquette will break ground on a 332-unit, mid-rise multi-family development in Houston’s East Downtown (EADO) district.  Situated on 3.28 acres at 400 Jensen Drive, the development is located along Houston’s historic Buffalo Bayou, a 53-mile river running east through Houston to Galveston Bay and the Golf of Mexico.  The building will feature a dedicated park and green space, with connectivity to over 3 miles of trails, 17 acres of parks, and a nearby kayak launch.  The apartments will average 920 SF, including junior, one-, two-, and three-bedroom floor plans with 5,000 SF of retail.  Groundbreaking is scheduled for January 2020, and first units are anticipated in the summer of 2021.

the worlds largest golf course. no greens only sand traps and water....

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

This is great. 

A few notes. 

1. There is a pedestrian bridge crossing from the south side of the bank to the north. 

2. A dog park is listed (originally, buffalo bayou partnership said no dog parks in their program)

3. The Kayak launch.

4. Outdoor movies being a re-purpose of the Silos makes a lot of sense after their art display there. 

I really like that there will be plenty of green space to absorb water versus going all concrete and I'm very happy to see a good developer utilizing the land. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, hindesky said:

Awfully close to the bayou, hope they build on stilts.o40wKPE.jpg

I imagine they will build up the site. Most the site is in the 500 year flood plain. The area they wan to make into a park is in the 100 year flood plain.

• 5 weeks later...

I too imagine they will have to build the site up.

I live around the corner and took pictures and video of the site. Unfortunately, the only thing I have from the time of peak flood was a video, so I can't post it here. That said, this pic shows the other side of the Jensen bridge. As you can see, the water made it just a little shy of the bike path.

20170827_123812.jpg

• Like 7

1 hour ago, JBTX said:

I too imagine they will have to build the site up.

I live around the corner and took pictures and video of the site. Unfortunately, the only thing I have from the time of peak flood was a video, so I can't post it here. That said, this pic shows the other side of the Jensen bridge. As you can see, the water made it just a little shy of the bike path.

20170827_123812.jpg

That was at PEAK hurricane Harvey. If you still had 5 feet to work with you were good. It would take much more than harvey to flood this area. I doubt that they will build up

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Mr.Clean19 said:

That was at PEAK hurricane Harvey. If you still had 5 feet to work with you were good. It would take much more than harvey to flood this area. I doubt that they will build up

Oh, I totally agree. I should have specified earlier about lifting. I think given that you know where the water will absolutely peak, a foot of lift is probably enough for due diligence.

No need to put it on stilts or anything...

• Like 1

18 hours ago, JBTX said:

Oh, I totally agree. I should have specified earlier about lifting. I think given that you know where the water will absolutely peak, a foot of lift is probably enough for due diligence.

Part of the property is on the 500 year flood plain. To comply with new code for the city they will have to either build up the site a couple ft or sit the build itself a couple feet higher. Not like its that much though. You are already see the effect of the new code in Riverside Terrace and areas along Braes where they are doing new home construction.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, JBTX said:

It should be pointed out that the water level in that picture is not the absolute peak. It is the absolute peak if the reservoir levees don't break. If one of the levees breaks, you will see a much higher peak.

• Like 2

I’m assuming that all of the amenities put in near the Bayou greenbelt will be open to the public? As others mentioned, it would be great to have a pavilion and green space around the silos and have it usable as a community space.

And, more importantly to me at least, it would be great to have another dog park in the area since the EaDog Park on Polk is rather lackluster.

19 minutes ago, thedistrict84 said:

And, more importantly to me at least, it would be great to have another dog park in the area since the EaDog Park on Polk is rather lackluster.

Couldn't agree more.

Wouldn't mind seeing the Silos become part of a dog park, but I imagine most of the amenities will now be on the northern bank of the Bayou where East River is going up. If you drive up Jensen right now from Navigation, or up McKee towards i10, you can see that a lot of the renovated bike paths are on the north side of the Bayou. That said, there already are pretty new trails on the southern bank, so, I'm not sure what the long-term outlook is there. Maybe once Clayton Homes is demolished they will be able to unblock that portion of the trail and have the trail connect to the Downtown portion of the BB trail on the southern bank.

25 minutes ago, JBTX said:

Couldn't agree more.

Wouldn't mind seeing the Silos become part of a dog park, but I imagine most of the amenities will now be on the northern bank of the Bayou where East River is going up. If you drive up Jensen right now from Navigation, or up McKee towards i10, you can see that a lot of the renovated bike paths are on the north side of the Bayou. That said, there already are pretty new trails on the southern bank, so, I'm not sure what the long-term outlook is there. Maybe once Clayton Homes is demolished they will be able to unblock that portion of the trail and have the trail connect to the Downtown portion of the BB trail on the southern bank.

If you haven't seen this future plan for Buffalo Bayou here is a link to their plans for the east side. Nice renderings and proposals.

http://jordanrivercommission.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/BBB_Summary.pdf

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, bobruss said:

If you haven't seen this future plan for Buffalo Bayou here is a link to their plans for the east side. Nice renderings and proposals.

The South Canal is an interesting idea. I really think we should be doing more canals as a way to not only bring about flood mitigation, but also could create some interesting urban situations.

I really think that this proposal which would actually be a northern canal to allow for the confluence of White Oak Bayou with Buffalo Bayou on the western side of downtown avoiding the constricted area around Louisiana and Main and the older buildings that slow the flow of floodwaters is the best plan that has been proposed for flood control on Buffalo Bayou.

Not only would it take a lot of the flooding off of the downtown historic and Theater districts, but it would also create a whole new area for urban growth and facilitate more access to the bayous.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bobruss said:

Thanks for sharing! I would love to see that happen. I was actually talking about the current bike paths BBB has, and the new bridges they are building to connect the trails just east of DT. But I suppose if they go with the canal approach, all of the existing bike paths and such out east would have to move.

• 3 months later...
On 12/20/2019 at 1:10 PM, burt said:

Sounds as if this project is on hold.  Marquette got cold feet with the all the proposed affordable housing projects nearby.

http://www.saveeastend.com/

I'm not sure where you heard this or your relationship with the developers, but if this is Marquette's stance, then it's a bit disingenuous. They are well underway with the Navigation development that is maybe a quarter of a mile from this site. It's practically on the same block. Couple that with East River being developed just across the bayou there, any fear of affordable housing should be assuaged by the fact that such a massive and high potential project would be their neighbor.  

Edited by I'm Not a Robot
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/22/2019 at 2:01 PM, I'm Not a Robot said:

I'm not sure where you heard this or your relationship with the developers, but if this is Marquette's stance, then it's a bit disingenuous. They are well underway with the Navigation development that is maybe a quarter of a mile from this site. It's practically on the same block. Couple that with East River being developed just across the bayou there, any fear of affordable housing should be assuaged by the fact that such a massive and high potential project would be their neighbor.  

Especially when the vast majority of the supposedly-feared affordable housing was already in existence or well underway when Marquette first came to town (and a big chunk of the rest is proposed replacement of existing housing Clayton Homes and part of Kelly Village). I suspect that the presence of affordable housing the neighborhood has nothing to do with any "hold" on this project (if there actually is a hold on the project).

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...