Warehouse District: Mixed-Use By Urban Genesis

Urbannizer

I've noticed a lot of development in that area between Buffalo Bayou and I-10.  Doesn't that seem like a bad idea since there's a project to bung a canal through the neighborhood?  Or are these people trying to get in on the land rush that's expected to follow?

On 12/15/2021 at 3:32 PM, bobruss said:

This is going to bring this whole area too everyones attention, and I hope they have studied the maps and worked around the proposed canal.

The North Canal should be several hundred feet south of where their projects are. Plus I've seen renderings that looks like they shore up the side of the new canal.

This is from Metro. You can't even see the Urban Genesis projects in this.

bVIF00w.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 12/17/2021 at 2:01 PM, hindesky said:

The North Canal should be several hundred feet south of where their projects are. Plus I've seen renderings that looks like they shore up the side of the new canal.

This is from Metro. You can't even see the Urban Genesis projects in this.

bVIF00w.png

It's a shame that the Metro bus barn is going to be right next to that walking trail.  When I lived at Dakota Lofts, Metro would let those buses idle all day long and the fumes blowing in the windows was awful sometimes.  At least we could close the windows.  Walkers will get gassed.

• Like 1

On 12/20/2021 at 5:01 PM, editor said:

It's a shame that the Metro bus barn is going to be right next to that walking trail.  When I lived at Dakota Lofts, Metro would let those buses idle all day long and the fumes blowing in the windows was awful sometimes.  At least we could close the windows.  Walkers will get gassed.

I think that the canal will increase the value of the land to the point where Metro will sell it and move their bus barn someplace else. They are already losing about a third of their capacity from the lower buildings being demolished so they will most likely be looking elsewhere already to replace that capacity (although the graphic does show a new building along the northern part of the site). This Warehouse District project will also increase the value of the land by establishing the area for multi-family.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

In the warehouse district master planning, there is a concept of encouraging Metro to relocate the bus facilities to the north on part of the land that is currently occupied by I-10, but will be abandoned by TXDoT when the freeway is relocated as part of NHHIP. This would free up the Metro land for private development along the north canal.

• Like 5

If I am not mistaken, I think these are the only 4 traditional single-family homes that still exist within the CBD region bounded by I-10, I-45, and I-69.  All other homes have been torn down, moved out, or exist as museum homes only.  I am not sure about this, but I can't find any other of these kind of houses in this region.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, hindesky said:

Encountered a woman driving in the southbound lanes going northbound, people were flashing their lights and honking but she seemed oblivious to anything. Hope someone didn't wreck in to her.

Some things never change...

When we worked there, people would often try to go the wrong way on that little stub of McKee, to get to the freeway ramps. Otherwise, you had to drive a couple hundred feet and do a U-turn. The problem was cars coming off that ramp are going... fast!

We had one employee who got hit twice (yes, twice!) doing the U-turn. He was an effing idiot. He was smart enough not to drive the wrong way on McKee, but that's all he was smart enough for.

Thanks for posting these pictures. I don't get by as often as I would like.

• Like 2