Warehouse District: Mixed-Use By Urban Genesis

Urbannizer

14 minutes ago, H-Town Man said:

Their website's list of core values begins with "Embrace History." They are based out of a historic house on Avondale Street. I think we should be okay.

This is going to overlook the North Canal if/when it gets built.

Post Reroute + North Canal will make this entire area a boom town. I'm calling it. With UHD next door, proximity to downtown, and light rail it would be really fun if this became a kind of student village. Education with a dash of artsy.

EDIT: Keeping this as "proposed" as blue on the map until its confirmed to be a renovation which will then be light purple. I have a hunch that the part of the building further north might get torn down to make room for a garage.

Edited by Luminare
  • Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

Or just " the warehouse district" would fit better. Then again, remember these are marketing terms. The Alexan on Weslayan is now "Alexan River Oaks" when its several blocks away from River Oaks, and not even in River Oaks proper. I would never describe that intersection of W Alabama and Weslayan as being anything like "River Oaks", but thats the association the developers and their marketing team want to make. Thats completely fine, but thats with the understanding that its a "business" decision rather than a "cultural/neighborhood" decision.

Edited by Luminare
  • Like 1

• 7 months later...
On 8/6/2019 at 9:24 AM, Avossos said:

dumb name... 1st ward is the culturally designated arts district by the state of Texas.

Not exactly.  The Texas Commission on the Arts has designated the "Washington Avenue Arts District" as a (not the) state-designated cultural district (one of five such designated districts in Houston, seven in the metro area).

Demonstrating Houston's difficulties with successful branding, the state designated it (presumably at the district's request) as the Washington Avenue Arts District, the street signs in the area say "First Ward Arts District" and it seems to operate at least on the web, as "Arts District Houston".

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Has Sawyer Yards vibes but with a bit more flavor. Is that a trolley or the light rail, lol? 

As someone who works in the legal field, I am amazed at what has happened and is happening in this area. 10 years ago you would have been laughed at and potentially called stupid for suggesting this could exist in this spot. And the best thing is that this naturally flows since as Luminaire said you get UHD students, people living in the new construction in that area of downtown, the legal peeps working over there, and then on weekends its just a few stops from the already vibrant mainstreet scene. Thanks @Urbannizer

• Like 5

33 minutes ago, houstontexasjack said:

I get the sense that trolley is going to hit the person walking further up those tracks in the rendering.

Counterpoint: the trolley is moving away from the pedestrian (hence the the cables pulling in the other direction).

That said, why does the trolley have a menu? And more importantly, why does it appear to sell burgers, hotdogs, vapes, and baby bottles?

As a """millennial,""" I think I'm offended!

Also, I take ubmrage to the fact that the Elysian Viaduct isn't painted purple and pink ink their rendering.

Edited by JBTX
  • Haha 5

17 minutes ago, cspwal said:

I think it's supposed to be a stationary food truck trolley

Maybe I should tell everyone that this a render of what could be, but not what actually is? Renders can't be taken literally. They encapsulate an idea, that is all. You want the end product to be as close to the render as possible, but at the end of the day its a visual of something imaginary. Even in the render you see the tracks stop dead at the intersection. If you actually look at what a render gives you then you will see what it wants you to see. If some people are talking about an ACTUAL trolley, then they aren't looking for what the render is telling them, they are only seeing what they want to see.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, JBTX said:

That said, why does the trolley have a menu? And more importantly, why does it appear to sell burgers, hotdogs, vapes, and baby bottles?

It's a food trolley! They're the wave of the future  :)

the question is, will The Kindergartener build the North Canal, or will it have to wait until we have competence back in the County Judge seat.

Edited by Tumbleweed_Tx
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, Luminare said:

Maybe I should tell everyone that this a render of what could be, but not what actually is? Renders can't be taken literally. They encapsulate an idea, that is all. You want the end product to be as close to the render as possible, but at the end of the day its a visual of something imaginary. Even in the render you see the tracks stop dead at the intersection. If you actually look at what a render gives you then you will see what it wants you to see. If some people are talking about an ACTUAL trolley, then they aren't looking for what the render is telling them, they are only seeing what they want to see.

On the other hand, a street car that goes around north downtown on rails selling food would be a great draw

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, cspwal said:

On the other hand, a street car that goes around north downtown on rails selling food would be a great draw

Would vote for this in the next election to be built, or am willing to beg the Kinders to help fund.

• Like 2

• The title was changed to The Arts District: Mixed-Use by Urban Genesis
  • 4 months later...