Montrose Collective: Office Building With Retail At 888 Westheimer Rd.

trymahjong

Hmmmmm.......wondering if imagery showed large horse topiary (pre2001)on 800 block Westheimer right of way? thought that plant shop next to HPD storefront should have taken better care of it.  Still the poor old creature lasted till it was torn down last week.......

Edited by trymahjong
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 1/25/2020 at 2:31 PM, Avossos said:

most wouldn’t survive being removed and the labor cost to get them out would be high. It’s a nice idea though... some things would have a better chance at surviving than others. These materials are best grounded up and used as mulch.

Not necessarily true. At this time of year just about everything I stick in the ground or transplant does exceedly well. Even 15 foot trees transplant very well this time of year.

Anyway this is a long overdue facelift for this area.  It's too visible an an area to look so unattractive. Sad to see all the memories torn down but new ones will be made in construction that is more uplifting for the area.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

11 hours ago, architeckton said:

Google Earth historical imagery shows houses for 1944, 1978, and then jumps to 1989 when the Menil was already complete.

If memory serves, someone has posted here in the past about living in one of the houses that formerly occupied the land where the Menil now sits.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mkultra25 said:

If memory serves, someone has posted here in the past about living in one of the houses that formerly occupied the land where the Menil now sits.  

From the 1978 map, it looks like there are apartments on the Mandell end of the block. That is what I thought I remembered.

Edited by MidCenturyMoldy
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Urbannizer said:

Thanks for posting, it would be great if we could read the Entire article, unfortunately it looks like you have to be a “Subscriber “ of Costar to read the entire article.☹️

Edited by cityliving
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, cityliving said:

Thanks for posting, it would be great if we could read the Entire article, unfortunately it looks like you have to be a “Subscriber “ of Costar to read the entire article.☹️

Its why CREguy13 was tagged. We should get more info in a bit.

wow fantastic....thanks for posting the whole article @CREguy13 (and for bringing it to our attention @Urbannizer )!

my dream is that they would do the same in the space where Smoothie King is and then BOTH north and south east corners of Montrose (half priced books plaza AND the gas station)...and then have them all connected via huge bank tubes where you stand or lay in them and then just shoot over the street 😃 (and really, i think this project is going to be so AMAZING for Montrose!) 

Image result for bank tube

• Like 3

1 hour ago, clutchcity94 said:

Anyone know what tech company already signed a lease? Did we steal a company away from Austin??

tech is a broad term but it's the perfect type of tenant for this kind of development. don't think this is a nab from another city as i'm pretty sure they have an existing presence here but i could be wrong. either way it's a great anchor office tenant.

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, swtsig said:

tech is a broad term but it's the perfect type of tenant for this kind of development. don't think this is a nab from another city as i'm pretty sure they have an existing presence here but i could be wrong. either way it's a great anchor office tenant.

It is, but this city needs every level of tech it can get. This is huge actually. And who knows, it may be a huge name we just don't know yet. 

Edited by j_cuevas713
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, swtsig said:

Cmon you can private message me the details...I’m a ClutchFans BBS ‘01’er :)

• Like 2

Another article in the HBJ.

Montrose Collective will contain the former Freed-Montrose library, though it's unknown at this time what its new name will be, if it will have a new name.

Montrose Collective, a mixed-use development set to house the relocated Freed-Montrose library, has broken ground, according to a press release. 

The project, by Houston-based Radom Capital and designed by Austin-based Michael Hsu Office of Architecture, will span 100,000 square feet of office space, 50,000 square feet of retail space and 10,000 square feet of library space across four buildings. It will include six restaurants and 15 retail spaces, both first-to-market and local. The project is estimated to be completed late 2021 and is located at the 800 block of Westheimer Road.

“Montrose has always been Houston’s epicenter for art, the birthplace of our cafe and counter-culture, and one of our most open and complete neighborhoods," Radom Managing Principal Steve Radom said in the release.  “We envisioned Montrose Collective as a public space that respects the existing context, weaving together community gathering spaces and porous buildings that welcome neighbors and guests.”  

The entire Collective will consist of three new constructions and two repurposed historic buildings. This project is the fifth collaboration between Radom and Hsu – one such past project is the M-K-T in the Heights. 

“We worked to infuse the creative character and energy of the Montrose neighborhood into every aspect of the design,” Michael Hsu, founder and principal of Michael Hsu Office of Architecture, said in the release.

The ground level of the project will include cafes, retail and boutique fitness, while the upper floor will have office, beauty and service businesses, along with the library. The library will have an outdoor planted reading terrace, children’s programming and new technology. It will have onsite property management, structured parking and 24-hour security. 

Current tenants at the space, per its website, include Rosemont, Southside Espresso and Hue Salon. 

“Our team emphasized wellness as a project goal, combining planted patios with abundant energy-efficient glazing,” Evan Peterson, development director of Radom Capital, said in the release.  “We also believe that great placemaking requires differentiation and texture, so we included public art, exposed structural members and warm shaded soffits to create a uniquely layered urban environment.”

Other firms on the project are the Office of James Burnett, landscape architect; HOK, structural engineer; Kimley-Horn, civil engineering; DBR, mechanical, engineering and plumbing; DE Harvey Builders, project contractor; JLL, capital market services; and CBRE, office leasing. 

Buildings such as the former Theo’s Greek Restaurant at 812 Westheimer Road have closed to make room for Montrose Collective.

• Like 9

Drove by to see. Still cars for the other retail using the parking lot still. They are starting to dig up the back portion of the lot where the garage will go. I'm thinking that they are going to build the garage first and once that is done they will then shift people that use that other parking lot over to the new garage and then build the library. This is mostly based on my own intuition, so until I'm able to get a source to back it up take it with a grain of salt.

I'll try to get pics of the excavation for the garage tomorrow during lunch.

• Like 2

MontroseCollective5.jpg

4JywH9t.jpg&key=c3f963c727e5c28819bf8199

MontroseCollective4.jpg

MontroseCollective3.jpg

img0170*750xx1579-888-211-0.jpg

^^^ there seems to be so many renderings/concepts/depictions... currently, for the MONTROSE COLLECTIVE... that i am not all that certain, as to what is actually being constructed...?

Edited by monarch
  • Like 5
  • Confused 1

48 minutes ago, monarch said:

MontroseCollective5.jpg

4JywH9t.jpg&key=c3f963c727e5c28819bf8199

MontroseCollective4.jpg

MontroseCollective3.jpg

img0170*750xx1579-888-211-0.jpg

^^^ there seems to be so many renderings/concepts/depictions currently, for the MONTROSE COLLECTIVE... that i am not all that certain as to what is actually being constructed...?

Pretty sure that these are all the same project, just different views. You can catch glimpses of each part in the others. Guess we will see as its built.

• Like 4

So I assume the building(s) Uchi, Hue Salon, etc are in are going to stay and be incorporated into new development? 

As for the Freed Montrose Library, I hope whoever moves into that space when the library moves restores it because it's a great building and definitely worth saving. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, jmancuso said:

So I assume the building(s) Uchi, Hue Salon, etc are in are going to stay and be incorporated into new development? 

As for the Freed Montrose Library, I hope whoever moves into that space when the library moves restores it because it's a great building and definitely worth saving. 

Site Plan for reference:

pZrj9ZE.jpg

I don't remember if it was a rumor or reported by a publication, but the older library building is going to St. Thomas if I remember correctly. Someone else will have to pick up the ball on that one.

• Like 5