trymahjong

Montrose Collective: Office building with Retail Coming to 888 Westheimer

thank you!!!!! I wonder how fast this project will go!? i for one am excited to see what this brings to one of my favorite areas of Houston!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, gene said:

did they knock down the tower?! haha!

Only after forcibly evicting Rapunzel.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Urbannizer said:

Thanks for posting, it would be great if we could read the Entire article, unfortunately it looks like you have to be a “Subscriber “ of Costar to read the entire article.☹️

Edited by cityliving
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, cityliving said:

Thanks for posting, it would be great if we could read the Entire article, unfortunately it looks like you have to be a “Subscriber “ of Costar to read the entire article.☹️

Its why CREguy13 was tagged. We should get more info in a bit.

wow fantastic....thanks for posting the whole article @CREguy13 (and for bringing it to our attention @Urbannizer )!

my dream is that they would do the same in the space where Smoothie King is and then BOTH north and south east corners of Montrose (half priced books plaza AND the gas station)...and then have them all connected via huge bank tubes where you stand or lay in them and then just shoot over the street 😃 (and really, i think this project is going to be so AMAZING for Montrose!) 

Image result for bank tube

• Like 3

1 hour ago, clutchcity94 said:

Anyone know what tech company already signed a lease? Did we steal a company away from Austin??

tech is a broad term but it's the perfect type of tenant for this kind of development. don't think this is a nab from another city as i'm pretty sure they have an existing presence here but i could be wrong. either way it's a great anchor office tenant.

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, swtsig said:

tech is a broad term but it's the perfect type of tenant for this kind of development. don't think this is a nab from another city as i'm pretty sure they have an existing presence here but i could be wrong. either way it's a great anchor office tenant.

It is, but this city needs every level of tech it can get. This is huge actually. And who knows, it may be a huge name we just don't know yet. 

Edited by j_cuevas713
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, swtsig said:

Cmon you can private message me the details...I’m a ClutchFans BBS ‘01’er :)

• Like 2

18 hours ago, clutchcity94 said:

Cmon you can private message me the details...I’m a ClutchFans BBS ‘01’er :)

Clutchfans since middle school 😏

• Like 1

Another article in the HBJ.

Montrose Collective will contain the former Freed-Montrose library, though it's unknown at this time what its new name will be, if it will have a new name.

Montrose Collective, a mixed-use development set to house the relocated Freed-Montrose library, has broken ground, according to a press release. 

The project, by Houston-based Radom Capital and designed by Austin-based Michael Hsu Office of Architecture, will span 100,000 square feet of office space, 50,000 square feet of retail space and 10,000 square feet of library space across four buildings. It will include six restaurants and 15 retail spaces, both first-to-market and local. The project is estimated to be completed late 2021 and is located at the 800 block of Westheimer Road.

“Montrose has always been Houston’s epicenter for art, the birthplace of our cafe and counter-culture, and one of our most open and complete neighborhoods," Radom Managing Principal Steve Radom said in the release.  “We envisioned Montrose Collective as a public space that respects the existing context, weaving together community gathering spaces and porous buildings that welcome neighbors and guests.”  

The entire Collective will consist of three new constructions and two repurposed historic buildings. This project is the fifth collaboration between Radom and Hsu – one such past project is the M-K-T in the Heights. 

“We worked to infuse the creative character and energy of the Montrose neighborhood into every aspect of the design,” Michael Hsu, founder and principal of Michael Hsu Office of Architecture, said in the release.

The ground level of the project will include cafes, retail and boutique fitness, while the upper floor will have office, beauty and service businesses, along with the library. The library will have an outdoor planted reading terrace, children’s programming and new technology. It will have onsite property management, structured parking and 24-hour security. 

Current tenants at the space, per its website, include Rosemont, Southside Espresso and Hue Salon. 

“Our team emphasized wellness as a project goal, combining planted patios with abundant energy-efficient glazing,” Evan Peterson, development director of Radom Capital, said in the release.  “We also believe that great placemaking requires differentiation and texture, so we included public art, exposed structural members and warm shaded soffits to create a uniquely layered urban environment.”

Other firms on the project are the Office of James Burnett, landscape architect; HOK, structural engineer; Kimley-Horn, civil engineering; DBR, mechanical, engineering and plumbing; DE Harvey Builders, project contractor; JLL, capital market services; and CBRE, office leasing. 

Buildings such as the former Theo’s Greek Restaurant at 812 Westheimer Road have closed to make room for Montrose Collective.

• Like 9

Drove by to see. Still cars for the other retail using the parking lot still. They are starting to dig up the back portion of the lot where the garage will go. I'm thinking that they are going to build the garage first and once that is done they will then shift people that use that other parking lot over to the new garage and then build the library. This is mostly based on my own intuition, so until I'm able to get a source to back it up take it with a grain of salt.

I'll try to get pics of the excavation for the garage tomorrow during lunch.

• Like 2

MontroseCollective5.jpg

4JywH9t.jpg&key=c3f963c727e5c28819bf8199

MontroseCollective4.jpg

MontroseCollective3.jpg

img0170*750xx1579-888-211-0.jpg

^^^ there seems to be so many renderings/concepts/depictions... currently, for the MONTROSE COLLECTIVE... that i am not all that certain, as to what is actually being constructed...?

Edited by monarch
  • Like 4
  • Confused 1

48 minutes ago, monarch said:

MontroseCollective5.jpg

4JywH9t.jpg&key=c3f963c727e5c28819bf8199

MontroseCollective4.jpg

MontroseCollective3.jpg

img0170*750xx1579-888-211-0.jpg

^^^ there seems to be so many renderings/concepts/depictions currently, for the MONTROSE COLLECTIVE... that i am not all that certain as to what is actually being constructed...?

Pretty sure that these are all the same project, just different views. You can catch glimpses of each part in the others. Guess we will see as its built.

• Like 4

So I assume the building(s) Uchi, Hue Salon, etc are in are going to stay and be incorporated into new development? 

As for the Freed Montrose Library, I hope whoever moves into that space when the library moves restores it because it's a great building and definitely worth saving. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, jmancuso said:

So I assume the building(s) Uchi, Hue Salon, etc are in are going to stay and be incorporated into new development? 

As for the Freed Montrose Library, I hope whoever moves into that space when the library moves restores it because it's a great building and definitely worth saving. 

Site Plan for reference:

pZrj9ZE.jpg

I don't remember if it was a rumor or reported by a publication, but the older library building is going to St. Thomas if I remember correctly. Someone else will have to pick up the ball on that one.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, jmancuso said:

No confirmation on what will happen to the structure. Not clear if sold to a developer or not.

Edit: I is wrong

Black Labrador Closes

1 hour ago, Montrose1100 said:

No confirmation on what will happen to the structure. Not clear if sold to a developer or still owned by the UoST.

Black Labrador Closes

It (the Freed Library building) has never been owned by UoST. It is owned by the City.  Related to this move to the Montrose Collective, the current building may be sold to the University of St. Thomas.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Construction site this morning, not much going on other than a big pile of dirt, glad they are saving the trees though.😊🌳🌳

A1AB9774-F4EF-49E3-AF50-22C1CCAEC178.jpeg

34ED35D3-4840-4655-93A8-199B1CE09BB6.jpeg

27EFC14E-26CC-4FC5-B406-98B51CA76BA9.jpeg

Edited by cityliving
  • Like 7

am i seeing that right? no more The Burger Joint? :(

The Burger joint is still there, the tree preservation signs are on Crocker Street. 

Edited by cityliving
  • Like 2

thank you but meant in the map a few posts up...it looks like it says retail/retail/cafe up there in area where The Burger Joint is (i go there often and love that place) 

• Like 1

I think the Burger joint will stay as far as I know, the library-retail Cafe will be going up on Grant street on the parking lot behind the Burger Joint.

Edited by cityliving
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yeah, there is another map that showed that the burger joint and its loveable-but-janky parking lot will be staying where it is. Learned this the other day, if you go there on a bike, you get 10% off. One can hope maybe the collective retail/cafe people see that and decide to also do that...you know...to encourage walkability and stuff.

Impressive, and maybe shows a bit of what the developers are about, that they are preserving the trees. They know how to get to a montrose resident's heart. 

Edit: this was what I was referring to, which I think shows BJ is being left alone but maybe not the parking lot. 

UwtFPoT - Imgur.jpg

Edited by X.R.
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, gene said:

am i seeing that right? no more The Burger Joint? :(

Literally just had lunch there. I also know the owners son. That place isn't going anywhere. Trust me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Luminare said:

Literally just had lunch there. I also know the owners son. That place isn't going anywhere. Trust me.

awesome! and i'm jealous! probably will head there tonight to celebrate :) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, CRE-Sleuth said:

Long time lurker of the forum...first time poster. The main office tenant is Live Nation, they will be taking ~75K SF on floors 4,5 & 6.

Oh wow, that's crazy. They were supposed to be a tenant in a large downtown project but this is def a nice project if I was to pick where I wanted to work. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, CRE-Sleuth said:

Long time lurker of the forum...first time poster. The main office tenant is Live Nation, they will be taking ~75K SF on floors 4,5 & 6.

Hi and welcome!!! and wowsa perfect fit for that area 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, gene said:

Hi and welcome!!! and wowsa perfect fit for that area 

It's definitely a much better fit than where they're currently at in 2000 W Loop S! And thank you for the welcoming. This forum has helped me in the past, I figured it was time to start participating and contributing.

Edited by CRE-Sleuth
  • Like 6

27 minutes ago, CRE-Sleuth said:

It's definitely a much better fit than where they're currently at in 2000 W Loop S! And thank you for the welcoming. This forum has helped me in the past, I figured it was time to start participating and contributing.

😂 "joined 46 minutes ago". First post was a quick one.

3 minutes ago, architeckton said:

😂 "joined 46 minutes ago". First post was a quick one.

It sure was! I've been lurking as a guest for the past year or so leeching information from Going Up

• Like 2

On 2/15/2020 at 10:09 AM, cityliving said:

Lots of dump trucks hauling away dirt from the site this morning.

E202F05A-4D21-4A9D-ADE2-1C06806D342B.jpeg

That's going to be a big hole.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, Chrissy said:

Walked by Sunday at 5pm. Dirt was still being moved. Looks like they mean business. 

Well it is a Harvey project.......

• Like 3

Next to WeWork, I have to say that LiveNation opening offices here is massive! Young people in this city want cool places to work and we're finally starting to get those places. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Live Nation already has offices here, it's the old Pace Concerts office.

We're expanding at the new place.

43 minutes ago, Tumbleweed_Tx said:

Well even better. lol

Anyone have info on the tech company leasing space?

1 hour ago, j_cuevas713 said:

Next to WeWork, I have to say that LiveNation opening offices here is massive! Young people in this city want cool places to work and we're finally starting to get those places. 

You mean AIG at Waugh and Allen Parkway isn’t cool???

2 minutes ago, j_cuevas713 said:

Well even better. lol

Anyone have info on the tech company leasing space?

Live Nation is the tech company that the article was referring to.

• Haha 2

46 minutes ago, Tumbleweed_Tx said:

Honestly if you hadn't told me that I never would have known. I think their presence in the neighborhood will be much better,