Montrose Collective: Office Building With Retail At 888 Westheimer Rd.

trymahjong

I used to live on Stanford. Parking in the area is fine. I never had to park more than a couple blocks away, and that was only when I was foolish enough to come home on a Friday at 8. 

People will argue with me on this. People will always argue that there's not enough parking. But parking just takes the place of actual buildings where people live and work and eat and drink and talk and live. Occasionally having to walk a few blocks to your car is a more than reasonable trade-off.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Texasota said:

I used to live on Stanford. Parking in the area is fine. I never had to park more than a couple blocks away, and that was only when I was foolish enough to come home on a Friday at 8. 

People will argue with me on this. People will always argue that there's not enough parking. But parking just takes the place of actual buildings where people live and work and eat and drink and talk and live. Occasionally having to walk a few blocks to your car is a more than reasonable trade-off.

Not to mention if you trade out driveways for alleyways then you would gain more street parking. We lose a lot of street parking because each property has an individual drive. A shared alleyway that connects to everyones garage in the back would not only be more efficient, but would also be safer because everything is out of view from the front.

• Like 5

I know quite a few people who own homes on south side of Avondale blvd where there is an alley— not much talk about the advantages of that route to their garages. But there is a lot of grousing over criminal mischief in the alley and vagrants setting up camps there.  I’m not sure why the rest of Avondale wasn’t platted to have alleys in 1907,  plus I wonder why Avondale blvd wasn’t  platted for a median like Lovett blvd. Why were some of the street names changed? it’s hard to get into the mind set of developers in 1907.

Still today parking is a HUGE point of contention within Avondale. The HPD parking officer must carry a windup measuring tool as tickets are not only given if you are less than 18 inches from curb but also if you are less than 15 feet from stop sign. . Towing occurrences  were so numerous a contract from COH was issued to a particular tow company to prevent the kazillion other tow trucks from idling in Avondale waiting for their prey.

none of this was a big secret......so the owners of the wine bar should have been aware and should have alerted staff. Getting a towed vehicle back is a big chunk of a waitress salary.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Ellen Cohen is the sponsor of this Town hall along with developers of 812 Westheimer. Q&A about parking, relocation of Freed Library, HPD storefront as well as actual proposed building. Upstairs at Jerbek Building at St Thomas. In Scanlan room- Thursday September 26 —-5:50 pm

parking entrance on Graustark

• Like 2

1 hour ago, trymahjong said:

Ellen Cohen is the sponsor of this Town hall along with developers of 812 Westheimer. Q&A about parking, relocation of Freed Library, HPD storefront as well as actual proposed building. Upstairs at Jerbek Building at St Thomas. In Scanlan room- Thursday September 26 —-5:50 pm

parking entrance on Graustark

Merged with the existing thread.

Link: http://www.ellencohen.org/2019/09/public-meeting-new-montrose-library/

• Like 2

On 9/17/2019 at 9:33 AM, trymahjong said:

I know quite a few people who own homes on south side of Avondale blvd where there is an alley— not much talk about the advantages of that route to their garages. But there is a lot of grousing over criminal mischief in the alley and vagrants setting up camps there.

The disputes about alleys and who's allowed to use them have been going on for years. In the Heights, people have gone so far as to make them part of their back yard, and erecting fences or gates to prevent their use as a public ROW. 
As you note, much of the early development in Houston was done in a pretty haphazard way, and there may be legitimate questions as to whether the alley ROWs are still in place, depending on when and where they were established.
This screenshot from Google Street of the alley off Stanford (just south of Westheimer) seems to sum it up perfectly.

alley.PNG

• Haha 2

As someone who lived in the only Houston subdivision with COH regulated (and platted) active alleys for 30 years, they are the greatest invention ever. Trash goes out back, no pesky driveways when you walk the dogs, houses designed without having to put garages in front... not a single regret.

• Like 7

57 minutes ago, CrockpotandGravel said:

So the town hall is tonight? I thought it was yesterday.

From Community Impact yesterday:

City officials are holding a town hall this week to gather input on the possible move of the Freed-Montrose Neighborhood Library.

The new location could be within a proposed mixed-use development near the 800 block of Westheimer Road—the future site of the Montrose Collective, a new project by Radom Capital, the same developer behind Heights Mercantile and other area projects. The site is currently occupied by a strip center that houses a Greek restaurant and a Houston Police Department storefront, both of which would have to be shuttered or relocated once the project gets underway.

Houston Mayor Pro Tem and District C representative Ellen Cohen will host a public meeting about the project from 6-7:30 p.m., Sept. 26 at the Scanlan Room of the Jerabeck Athletic Center at the University of St. Thomas.

The Freed-Montrose Library’s current location, a former church building from the 1940s at 4100 Montrose Blvd., may potentially be sold to the University of St. Thomas, a District C spokesperson said.

If the library does relocate into the new development, it will not do so until construction is completed, officials said.

The Montrose TIRZ has been asked to consider contributing funds for a parking garage at the new development to mitigate parking availability concerns, although that decision is not yet finalized, Montrose TIRZ administrator Damon Williams said.

More details will be shared at the Sept. 26 meeting, which will include presentations from Cohen, the Mayor’s Deputy Chief of Staff James Koski, Houston District Police Chief Troy Finner, Montrose TIRZ representative Sherry Weesner and a representative of Radom Capital.

https://communityimpact.com/houston/heights-river-oaks-montrose/city-county/2019/09/25/town-hall-freed-montrose-library/

Thanks for the heads up. If this is tonight I think I'll try to swing by. St Thomas is really close to my work.

I attended the Town Hall meeting. Thought it was going to be another KumByYah  thingy like the Metro Q&A

but then some 3-piece-suit-dufess-anti-LGBTQ goes to the microphone and explains that if this is a family friendly development no PRIDE art should be displayed.  I think I threw up in my mouth.

However, before that it was a great presentation: lots of light, green spaces, permeable sidewalk, natural plantings, 24/7 security ( actually walking through not viewing security cameras.saving the heritage Oak trees, free parking for Library and 45+ public parking spaces.

• Like 3
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 3

Just now, danielsonr said:

I believe Steve Radom said about 2 1/2 years.  They are still negotiating the lease terms with COH for the library space and the parking agreement with Montrose TIRZ.

20190926_191643.jpg

2 1/2 till they start? or 2 1/2 years to complete?

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, danielsonr said:

I believe Steve Radom said about 2 1/2 years.  They are still negotiating the lease terms with COH for the library space and the parking agreement with Montrose TIRZ.

20190926_191643.jpg

I love this. The building on the right echoes the architecture of Philip Johnson's University of St. Thomas campus. Not crazy about the library design on other posts, just not my architectural cup of tea.

This might be the best neighborhood infill project I've ever seen in Houston.

• Like 4

Montrose TIRZ still a thing?

yes— meeting 3rd Monday’s at St Stephan’s 

Lots of negotiations for TIRZ will help fund public parking spaces which could increase in number to up to 100- available after the business there close for the day.

for myself, it surprised me that COH actually owned that part of strip mall housing the HPD storefront. Apparently that ownership set the whole new library idea in motion. Radom build the shell of the new library building instead of outright purchase of land, I guess.There is a piece of land in Midtown that COH was considering since current Freed building needs $$$$ repair.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, H-Town Man said:

Do you do this so you get notifications to the thread? You do realize you can subscribe and get email alerts when new posts are created in a thread, right? That's supported natively by the forum software.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

20 minutes ago, Texasota said:

This is great, but I really hope they plans for the old library. 

I'm just gonna suggest a food hall. There's lots of parking and Montrose doesn't have one yet.

St. Thomas University has already expressed interest in buying the old library, so it would be part of their campus.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Texasota said:

This is great, but I really hope they plans for the old library. 

I'm just gonna suggest a food hall. There's lots of parking and Montrose doesn't have one yet.

They can make it their on-campus church.. administration building... barnes and noble for books. Anything but tearing it down.

• Like 3

About that HPD storefront removal...........

In our fast moving digital age an HPD store front with limited hours ( no ability to confront nor relay instantly “call in”active crime happenings either) limited person collecting paper citizen complaint forms.....seems pokey and superfluous. However there is something  intangible about relations ( both the sergeant that passed and current patrol officer had been assigned at least since 2005)with actual nearby residents. Not to mention the patrol cars comings and goings that does have a positive beneficial impact on local neighbors.  Yes of course there are a kazillion antidotes where the storefront “dropped the ball” and solid reasons why a short staffed HPD should consolidate storefronts downtown. Still, those patrol cars coming from everywhere 24/7 to use that storefront as a way station was invaluable— actual  HPD patrols in our neighborhoods helps prevent crime!

I am not hopeful with the arrangement for ALL storefronts to move Downtown.

I was hoping for a space in the new Radom development ( Radom indeed make a tentative provision in early talks)for an unmanned space where officers could continue to drive to 24/7 and perhaps unknowingly  patrol our neighborhood. HPD is indeed short staffed and getting HPD permission for increase in dedicated patrols for a specific area are hard to obtain. So I am wistful for those patrols that were “ happenstance” but now gone. 

Edited by trymahjong
  • Like 4

12 hours ago, Triton said:

Do you do this so you get notifications to the thread? You do realize you can subscribe and get email alerts when new posts are created in a thread, right? That's supported natively by the forum software.

I made a post, then decided it didn't strike the right note so I removed it.

• Like 2