Montrose Collective: Office Building With Retail At 888 Westheimer Rd.

trymahjong

On 7/16/2019 at 10:53 AM, Urbannizer said:

A ~250,000 sq ft office building with retail proposed for 888 Westheimer. Construction is expected to start 4Q 2019 and finish in 2021. "Montrose Collective Lp" is connected to Radom Capital

https://www.888westheimer.com/

https://www.facebook.com/MontroseCollective/

SubdivisionPlatPDF_KANYE WESTHEIMER Plat PDF-54113-20090401.pdf 331.68 kB · 28 downloads

23 hours ago, Triton said:

Pretty sure @swtsig has talked about this property a few times, right?

Yeah I was pretty sure this was discussed in a Montrose thread at some point. Best to hunt it down and merge it with this one.
This one has also been added to the map as "Proposed".

About Crocker street

East side of Crocker is not protected by Historic designation.

IMO

or perhaps

In my wildest dreams

Each of thosehouses would be offered for sale at $1.00

The buyer would have to move them of course.

I think there is another thread .....HPD storefront is closing

Iposted how space would be saved for a library, perhaps even a small HPD space. But the Greek restaurant still has a few years on its lease.

one thing no one mentions is saving the historic brickstreet where Crocker meets Westheimer.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, trymahjong said:

About Crocker street

IMO

or perhaps

In my wildest dreams

Iposted how space would be saved for a library, perhaps even a small HPD space. But the Greek restaurant still has a few years on its lease.

one thing no one mentions is saving the historic brickstreet where Crocker meets Westheimer.

I'm guessing you meant to say the "west side" of Crocker Street?

2 hours ago, trymahjong said:

About Crocker street

IMO

or perhaps

In my wildest dreams

Wait. So this isn't going to get started for another two years? This seems to be the same ole song and dance for Montrose. Either developers just haven't quite figured out the direction Montrose is going or tenants have very long leases that slow down potential development. Thoughts?

On 7/20/2019 at 6:05 AM, CrockpotandGravel said:

Thanks @skooljunkie. I thought I remembered reading about this a while ago on the forum. I couldn't find it, so I appreciate this.

Mods @Urbannizer  @Triton can you please merge that thread with this one since it's about the redevelopment of the lot that's to become Montrose Collective?

https://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/42919-montrose-hpd-storefront-closing/

Other than the same physical location, I'm not sure I see the connection.  The earlier thread was about the HPD storefront closing; this is about a new development properly in "Going Up".  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Subdude said:

Other than the same physical location, I'm not sure I see the connection.  The earlier thread was about the HPD storefront closing; this is about a new development properly in "Going Up".  

The project can't move forward until all tenants of whatever buildings are on the property vacated. Thats all the connection that is needed. Its also where the first rumors of this project began. Would be good to include it into the thread for the record. We do this for pretty much every other thread with smaller properties that then get replat into one big property. Keeping in line with precedent done in the rest of the forum, can we please merge them?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Luminare said:

The project can't move forward until all tenants of whatever buildings are on the property vacated. Thats all the connection that is needed. Its also where the first rumors of this project began. Would be good to include it into the thread for the record. We do this for pretty much every other thread with smaller properties that then get replat into one big property. Keeping in line with precedent done in the rest of the forum, can we please merge them?

Consider it done.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Developing 4Q 2019?

Maybe the Greek restaurant lease was bought out?

As for storefront.......?

chief Acevedo doesn’t seem to be a fan of law enforcement storefronts because of the cost in manpower hours. Personally I find that the comings and goings of police vehicles, odd times,  is a fairly effective crime deterrent in itself, whether or not the storefront is actually manned.

And of course that poor ole mustang topiary will finally be put to rest..........

Edited by trymahjong
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, CrockpotandGravel said:

Here is a full-sized high res rendering of one side of Montrose Collective. 

This is the new mixed use that will be built from the ground up at 888 Westheimer in Houston.

Radom Capital are the developers and Michael Hsu Architecture is the architect. 

The rendering is from Radom Capital's website

sMXBu4P.jpg
(direct link to full-size, non-compressed image: original link | Imgur link )

This looks like a different building...

• Like 1

I believe this is a second building that is also part of the project. Looks to be located on the surface lot just north of Uchi. Word on the street is the second and third floors will house the Freed-Montrose Public Library. This seems to be confirmed in the rendering, if you look closely there appears to be book shelves in both floors. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, bategeler said:

I believe this is a second building that is also part of the project. Looks to be located on the surface lot just north of Uchi. Word on the street is the second and third floors will house the Freed-Montrose Public Library. This seems to be confirmed in the rendering, if you look closely there appears to be book shelves in both floors. 

That would explain the "LIBRARY" sign. 

8bb064_8daa15211f8348bcb7cdd313af6416b1~mv2_d_1955_1201_s_2.jpg

• Like 6

Guess I should share that I heard that quite a few “public” parking is to be incorporated..... maybe left over from “ outreach” of the Montrose Special Parking District or what ever but seems like dozens of spaces will be incorporated. The talk now is about charging for those spaces so cost can be recuperated—

one last note of concern on my part - the huge trees on Grant street across from Uchis parking lot have spray painted pink dots on trunks. Hope that doesn’t mean demolition.  While I might be okay with the topiary  horse  in front of Greek restaurant being torn down, I don’t want to lose shade canopy from trees on Grant.

• Like 4

Hmmm Random hasn’t approached Avondale—It has been my experience that developers go to Neartown first. 

Now I suppose approaching the Montrose TIRZ will become the norm.

I try very hard to attend every Neartown and as many TIRZ as possible— so when I explain I am puzzled most likely the TIRZ I attended had discussion on parking structures plus underground parking from this developer. But you are correct in advising me that a final plan hasn’t be presented yet.

Btw

when those pictures were taken along Grant and California streets,

were the large trees along Grant still marked with pink spray  paint dots?

My worry over the tree canopy disappearing is intense.

Edited by trymahjong
  • Like 3

46 minutes ago, trymahjong said:

Hmmm Random hasn’t approached Avondale—It has been my experience that developers go to Neartown first. 

Now I suppose approaching the Montrose TIRZ will become the norm.

I try very hard to attend every Neartown and as many TIRZ as possible— so when I explain I am puzzled most likely the TIRZ I attended had discussion on parking structures plus underground parking from this developer. But you are correct in advising me that a final plan hasn’t be presented yet.

Btw

when those pictures were taken along Grant and California streets,

were the large trees along Grant still marked with pink spray  paint dots?

My worry over the tree canopy disappearing is intense.

Interesting perspective.

I know from observation that if trees are being marked then that means something will happen soon.

In your experience, which do you think welds more authority at this moment. Neartown, or Midtown TIRZ?

I'm not sure I'd call it a back street, and it's half a block from both Westheimer and Montrose. All it needs is a sign on both streets. Besides, there would be lots of stuff around it if this project moves forward as planned. I actually think this is about as close as ideal of a location for a library as possible.

• Like 1

Guess Ellen Cohen is up for hosting an "Everything you've always wanted to know but were afraid to ask"

Town Hall about this bit of Development in MOntrose.

Thursday September 26

Scanlan Room

2nd floorJerabeck Athletic center

St Thomas

6-7:30pm

about that authority question concerning Neartown or Montrose TIRZ-- I haven't a clue

Edited by trymahjong
  • Like 4

Well now we know why this is in the current state its in. Anytime a project starts negotations with a TIRZ it can sometimes be a crap shoot. Remember Fairview District? Hopefully all parties involved learned from the mistakes of the Fairview District both on the public and private side. The parking situation is interesting for me as a resident to listen too because I don't really drive anywhere in this district, I walk, but I trust that this area has a problem with parking considering the historical districts next to them. Hopefully this can get past all the bureaucracy.

• Like 2