trymahjong

Montrose Collective: Office building with Retail Coming to 888 Westheimer

Radom Capital is retooling their website, so everything isn't clickable as it was before.

Montrose Collective, their new mixed use that will be built from the ground up at 888 Westheimer in Houston (the site of Theo's restaurant between Uchi and Katz's deli), isn't viewable on the website yet. BUT it's on there. It's hidden for now, but here is the url for the section on the website:

https://www.radomcapital.com/montrose-collective 
(there is an archive link but because Radom's site is mostly javascript, Web Archive didn't capture it in full)

Here is the screenshot of the page:

JZM2Os5.jpg

Edited by CrockpotandGravel
  • Like 4

Here is a full-sized high res rendering of one side of Montrose Collective. 

This is the new mixed use that will be built from the ground up. Past discussions in this thread talked mostly on 888 Westheimer in Houston. The current structure with Theo's restaurant, that appears will be demolished.

Montrose Collective, as @trymahjong posted in the first post of this page and as county records show, will make up more blocks than 888 Westheimer. It includes 904 Westheimer (the building with Southside Espresso)

S2DJ69m.jpg

The rendering below shows another portion of Montrose Collective that will build on the parking lot at California St and Grant St (behind Uchi, Aladdin and The Burger Joint). 

Radom Capital are the developers and Michael Hsu Architecture is the architect. 

The rendering is from Radom Capital's website. The number on the building looks to be for 1001 Westheimer 1001 California St. This will possibly be the new location and building for the Freed-Montrose library @trymahjong posted about at the start of this thread.

sMXBu4P.jpg
(direct link to full-size, non-compressed image: original link | Imgur link )

Edited to add the correct address. I originally posted 1001 Westheimer.
  • Like 6

3 minutes ago, CrockpotandGravel said:

This is the new mixed use that will be built from the ground up at 888 Westheimer in Houston.

The rendering is from Radom Capital's website

sMXBu4P.jpg

This looks like a different building...

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Avossos said:

This looks like a different building...

I know.It's why I wrote the address on the building shown on the Montrose Collective page is 1001 Westheimer  1001 California St.

If this wasn't part of Montrose Collective, I don't think it would be under Montrose Collective. It doesn't look like a space saver. To me, it looks like the second and third floors have bookshelves. Maybe this is a portion of the project speculated in the first couple of posts at the start of this thread.

Edited to add the correct address. I originally posted 1001 Westheimer.
  • Like 1

I believe this is a second building that is also part of the project. Looks to be located on the surface lot just north of Uchi. Word on the street is the second and third floors will house the Freed-Montrose Public Library. This seems to be confirmed in the rendering, if you look closely there appears to be book shelves in both floors. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, bategeler said:

I believe this is a second building that is also part of the project. Looks to be located on the surface lot just north of Uchi. Word on the street is the second and third floors will house the Freed-Montrose Public Library. This seems to be confirmed in the rendering, if you look closely there appears to be book shelves in both floors. 

That would explain the "LIBRARY" sign. 

8bb064_8daa15211f8348bcb7cdd313af6416b1~mv2_d_1955_1201_s_2.jpg

• Like 6

3 hours ago, bategeler said:

2 hours ago, MidCenturyMoldy said:

That would explain the "LIBRARY" sign. 

6Rar9Qf.jpg

Yes and why I posted this:

https://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/45133-montrose-collective-office-building-with-retail-coming-to-888-westheimer/?do=findComment&comment=600418

4 hours ago, CrockpotandGravel said:

If this wasn't part of Montrose Collective, I don't think it would be under Montrose Collective. It doesn't look like a space saver. To me, it looks like the second and third floors have bookshelves. Maybe this is a portion of the project speculated in the first couple of posts at the start of this thread.

...referring to the portion of the project referred to in the first post of this thread:

https://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/45133-montrose-collective-office-building-with-retail-coming-to-888-westheimer/?do=findComment&comment=577629

On 9/10/2018 at 6:52 PM, trymahjong said:

A lot of rumors about the Montrose HPD (900 block Westheimer) storefront closing, not surprising since HPD Chief Acevedo wasn’t a fan of store front idea. But a neighbor mentioned  a developer had bought the entire strip  ( Guess Theo’s Will be moving also.)center and a few adjacent lots north on Grant and  on Crockett street including a beautifully restored 1920’s home. All for multi use  multi-storied building ——included will be the Freed library’s move from Montrose Blvd. Apparently the developer did something charming around 6 th street and Yale  in  the Heights. Now I wonder if this developer will underwrite the HPD storefront in that development or if someone else will offer rent free space inside Montrose for the storefront to move into.

But I should have omitted that this building is on 888 Westheimer or 1001 Westheimer, which may lead to some confusion. The positioning of the building in the rendering didn't look like 888 Westheimer. My bad.

The building pictured in the rendering is 1001 California. It's the lot on the corner of California and Grant, behind The Burger Joint on Montrose Blvd, Uchi, and Aladdin restaurant. It's the area @trymahjong posted last year for the library's move.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CrockpotandGravel said:

https://www.radomcapital.com/montrose-collective 
(there is an archive link but because Radom's site is mostly javascript, Web Archive didn't capture it in full)

Here is the screenshot of the page:

https://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/45133-montrose-collective-office-building-with-retail-coming-to-888-westheimer/?do=findComment&comment=600413

Radom Capital DEFINITELY visits HAIF or has alerts anytime their name or projects are discussed online. About an hour after I found the Montrose Collective page hidden on their website and took a screenshot of it, the page and rendering were removed. In place of the preliminary details was this trolling graphic:

The screenshot:
xOvw81d.jpg

It was up for about 30 minutes or so until their team removed it and added a 404 redirect.

Hey, Radom Capital.

We see you.

i see you asian history month GIF

• Like 6

Guess I should share that I heard that quite a few “public” parking is to be incorporated..... maybe left over from “ outreach” of the Montrose Special Parking District or what ever but seems like dozens of spaces will be incorporated. The talk now is about charging for those spaces so cost can be recuperated—

one last note of concern on my part - the huge trees on Grant street across from Uchis parking lot have spray painted pink dots on trunks. Hope that doesn’t mean demolition.  While I might be okay with the topiary  horse  in front of Greek restaurant being torn down, I don’t want to lose shade canopy from trees on Grant.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, trymahjong said:

Guess I should share that I heard that quite a few “public” parking is to be incorporated..... maybe left over from “ outreach” of the Montrose Special Parking District or what ever but seems like dozens of spaces will be incorporated. The talk now is about charging for those spaces so cost can be recuperated—

I think a parking district or parking structure was proposed for this part of lower Westheimer or near it. It may have been discussed on this forum or either I saw it online. I'll check later.

But there should be parking incorporated to alleviate cars parking in residential neighborhoods. Radom Capitol has not included structured parking in any of their developments, so it's unlikely it will be included for Montrose Collective. If it isn't, I hope Radom Capitol reconsiders. This is a dense, urban, high traffic part of Houston that needs less surface parking and more parking garages.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 9/6/2019 at 12:28 PM, CrockpotandGravel said:

This is the new mixed use that will be built from the ground up at 888 Westheimer in Houston. The current structure with Theo's restaurant will be demolished.

Montrose Collective, as @trymahjong posted in the first post of this page and as county records show, will make up more blocks than 888 Westheimer. The rendering below shows another portion of Montrose Collective that will build on the parking lot at California St and Grant St (behind Uchi, Aladdin and The Burger Joint). 

The rendering is from Radom Capital's website. The number on the building looks to be for 1001 Westheimer 1001 California St. This will possibly be the new location and building for the Freed-Montrose library @trymahjong posted about at the start of this thread.

sMXBu4P.jpg

https://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/45133-montrose-collective-office-building-with-retail-coming-to-888-westheimer/?do=findComment&comment=600415

A map and somewhat current view of 1001 California St. 

This is part of Montrose Collective that will build on the parking lot at California St and Grant St (behind Uchi, Southside Espresso, Aladdin and The Burger Joint).

This will possibly be the new location and building for the Freed-Montrose library, previously discussed last year in this thread here.

R3xQyzD.jpg

vVDwH24.jpg

Streetview of 1001 California St in Houston, captured June 2019.

to67zkb.jpg

89Fklg5.jpg

LOq6L8N.jpg

eVDAsig.jpg

• Like 6

I'm puzzled that there are no parking structures included. At the Montrose TIRZ a request was made about sharing cost (additional spaces for public use) of building parking structure, then finding a way to charge and recoup that cost.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, trymahjong said:

I'm puzzled that there are no parking structures included. At the Montrose TIRZ a request was made about sharing cost (additional spaces for public use) of building parking structure, then finding a way to charge and recoup that cost.

In all fairness, Radom Capital hasn't released the details in full for Montrose Collective to the public. It's possible a parking structure (that would include shared parking for surrounding businesses) may be planned. Then again, if it were, such plans would have been presented during one of your civic club meetings.

I like walkability is a big proponent of this development, but I'm anxious to see what the parking situation will detail.

• Like 1

Looking at the renderings, the back portion of the back building on the main property appears to be a 6 story parking garage. It's also always possible they do a couple of levels underground. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Texasota said:

Looking at the renderings, the back portion of the back building on the main property appears to be a 6 story parking garage. It's also always possible they do a couple of levels underground. 

Good catch! Thanks!

• Like 1

Hmmm Random hasn’t approached Avondale—It has been my experience that developers go to Neartown first. 

Now I suppose approaching the Montrose TIRZ will become the norm.

I try very hard to attend every Neartown and as many TIRZ as possible— so when I explain I am puzzled most likely the TIRZ I attended had discussion on parking structures plus underground parking from this developer. But you are correct in advising me that a final plan hasn’t be presented yet.

Btw

when those pictures were taken along Grant and California streets,

were the large trees along Grant still marked with pink spray  paint dots?

My worry over the tree canopy disappearing is intense.

Edited by trymahjong
  • Like 3

46 minutes ago, trymahjong said:

Hmmm Random hasn’t approached Avondale—It has been my experience that developers go to Neartown first. 

Now I suppose approaching the Montrose TIRZ will become the norm.

I try very hard to attend every Neartown and as many TIRZ as possible— so when I explain I am puzzled most likely the TIRZ I attended had discussion on parking structures plus underground parking from this developer. But you are correct in advising me that a final plan hasn’t be presented yet.

Btw

when those pictures were taken along Grant and California streets,

were the large trees along Grant still marked with pink spray  paint dots?

My worry over the tree canopy disappearing is intense.

Interesting perspective.

I know from observation that if trees are being marked then that means something will happen soon.

In your experience, which do you think welds more authority at this moment. Neartown, or Midtown TIRZ?

My question is why would HPL put their new location on a backstreet? This doesn't make any sense at all as all other branches are located on primary streets.

Perhaps the graphic is more to promote the site TO the powers that be at HPL hoping to entice them. Everyone wants a long term tenet

Edited by Toopicky

I'm not sure I'd call it a back street, and it's half a block from both Westheimer and Montrose. All it needs is a sign on both streets. Besides, there would be lots of stuff around it if this project moves forward as planned. I actually think this is about as close as ideal of a location for a library as possible.

• Like 1

Guess Ellen Cohen is up for hosting an "Everything you've always wanted to know but were afraid to ask"

Town Hall about this bit of Development in MOntrose.

Thursday September 26

Scanlan Room

2nd floorJerabeck Athletic center

St Thomas

6-7:30pm

about that authority question concerning Neartown or Montrose TIRZ-- I haven't a clue

Edited by trymahjong
  • Like 4

On 9/10/2019 at 9:58 AM, trymahjong said:

Oh. I didn't know this. Thanks for clarifying. 

If Random does follow the details of this thread ........Maybe Random will send a rep to Avondale’s big National Night out event Oct 1 upstairs at The Eagle.Lots of Avondale should be there.

• Like 1

I scanned this thread to see if this was posted, but didn't see it. If it was posted, please alert mods to remove as a duplicate.

Minutes from Montrose TIRZ meeting in July which discussed Montrose Collective.

Montrose Collective is a development by Radom Capital at 888 Westheimer, 1001 California St and other tracts listed above.

Discuss A Proposed Developer Reimbursement Agreement With Radom Development And Authorize The Project And Planning Committee To Enter Into Negotiations For Same

Director Weesner provided an overview of the reimbursement policy previously approved by the Board and the process by which a developer may submit reimbursement request for consideration by the Board. She described the reimbursement request received by Radom Development for the planned Montrose Collective Project generally located at the intersection of Westheimer and Montrose ("the Project"). Director Weesner stated that the Project would support enhanced parking within the Zone, consistent with the goals outlined in the Zone's Project and Financing Plan. She provided that the Project has been reviewed by members of the Projects and Planning Committee, and that the committee recommends the Board enter into negotiations with Radom Development for a Development Agreement.

After review and discussion, Director Dickerson moved to:

(1) authorize the Project and Planning Committee to enter into negotiations for proposed developer reimbursement agreement with Radom Development; and

(2) designate Director Webb as principal negotiator for the Project. Director Hunt seconded the motion, which carried unanimously.

The Board also discussed public engagement considerations for the Project.

Following discussion, Director Hunt moved to authorize the Public Engagement Committee to work with Knudson and the City to Houston develop a public engagement plan for the Project.

Director Webb seconded the motion, which carried unanimously.

http://montrosehtx.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/HRZ027-Minutes-7.19.19.pdf
(archive link)

And an overview of the TRIZ Montrose's July special board meeting in minutes for Neartown Association:

Update on TIRZ 27 Special Board Meeting from July19 on Montrose Collective Project at Westheimer and Montrose. Discussion on plans that would alleviate some of Montrose parking problems:

Construction of a parking structure at the NE corner now housing the HPD storefront area and restaurants that would accommodate 589 parking spaces. The Montrose TIRZ is reviewing the offset of 50% of the 77 spaces being built above those required by the City of Houston. 

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/5ad0d15c4eddec75eef10467/t/5d645a501010700001a9aa55/1566857809266/Neartown+Association+Minutes+7-23-2019.pdf
(archive link)

• Like 3

Well now we know why this is in the current state its in. Anytime a project starts negotations with a TIRZ it can sometimes be a crap shoot. Remember Fairview District? Hopefully all parties involved learned from the mistakes of the Fairview District both on the public and private side. The parking situation is interesting for me as a resident to listen too because I don't really drive anywhere in this district, I walk, but I trust that this area has a problem with parking considering the historical districts next to them. Hopefully this can get past all the bureaucracy.

• Like 2

I used to live on Stanford. Parking in the area is fine. I never had to park more than a couple blocks away, and that was only when I was foolish enough to come home on a Friday at 8. 

People will argue with me on this. People will always argue that there's not enough parking. But parking just takes the place of actual buildings where people live and work and eat and drink and talk and live. Occasionally having to walk a few blocks to your car is a more than reasonable trade-off.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Texasota said:

I used to live on Stanford. Parking in the area is fine. I never had to park more than a couple blocks away, and that was only when I was foolish enough to come home on a Friday at 8. 

People will argue with me on this. People will always argue that there's not enough parking. But parking just takes the place of actual buildings where people live and work and eat and drink and talk and live. Occasionally having to walk a few blocks to your car is a more than reasonable trade-off.

Not to mention if you trade out driveways for alleyways then you would gain more street parking. We lose a lot of street parking because each property has an individual drive. A shared alleyway that connects to everyones garage in the back would not only be more efficient, but would also be safer because everything is out of view from the front.

• Like 5

I know quite a few people who own homes on south side of Avondale blvd where there is an alley— not much talk about the advantages of that route to their garages. But there is a lot of grousing over criminal mischief in the alley and vagrants setting up camps there.  I’m not sure why the rest of Avondale wasn’t platted to have alleys in 1907,  plus I wonder why Avondale blvd wasn’t  platted for a median like Lovett blvd. Why were some of the street names changed? it’s hard to get into the mind set of developers in 1907.

Still today parking is a HUGE point of contention within Avondale. The HPD parking officer must carry a windup measuring tool as tickets are not only given if you are less than 18 inches from curb but also if you are less than 15 feet from stop sign. . Towing occurrences  were so numerous a contract from COH was issued to a particular tow company to prevent the kazillion other tow trucks from idling in Avondale waiting for their prey.

none of this was a big secret......so the owners of the wine bar should have been aware and should have alerted staff. Getting a towed vehicle back is a big chunk of a waitress salary.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Ellen Cohen is the sponsor of this Town hall along with developers of 812 Westheimer. Q&A about parking, relocation of Freed Library, HPD storefront as well as actual proposed building. Upstairs at Jerbek Building at St Thomas. In Scanlan room- Thursday September 26 —-5:50 pm

parking entrance on Graustark

• Like 2

1 hour ago, trymahjong said:

Ellen Cohen is the sponsor of this Town hall along with developers of 812 Westheimer. Q&A about parking, relocation of Freed Library, HPD storefront as well as actual proposed building. Upstairs at Jerbek Building at St Thomas. In Scanlan room- Thursday September 26 —-5:50 pm

parking entrance on Graustark

Merged with the existing thread.

Link: http://www.ellencohen.org/2019/09/public-meeting-new-montrose-library/

• Like 2

On 9/17/2019 at 9:33 AM, trymahjong said:

I know quite a few people who own homes on south side of Avondale blvd where there is an alley— not much talk about the advantages of that route to their garages. But there is a lot of grousing over criminal mischief in the alley and vagrants setting up camps there.

The disputes about alleys and who's allowed to use them have been going on for years. In the Heights, people have gone so far as to make them part of their back yard, and erecting fences or gates to prevent their use as a public ROW. 
As you note, much of the early development in Houston was done in a pretty haphazard way, and there may be legitimate questions as to whether the alley ROWs are still in place, depending on when and where they were established.
This screenshot from Google Street of the alley off Stanford (just south of Westheimer) seems to sum it up perfectly.

alley.PNG