Montrose Collective: Office Building With Retail At 888 Westheimer Rd.

trymahjong

It appears we may have our first retail tenants at Montrose Collective.  On the marketing brochure it lists La La Land Kind Cafe (second HOU location) and Van LeeuWen Ice Cream.  It looks like VL is only in NYC and LA, but has a location opening soon in NJ..

Judging by their website it looks like a great fit for this project and Montrose, in general. Anybody ever been?

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, thatguysly said:

Nidda Thai needs to come back. Loved that place. I heard the owners were back in Thailand for now. Hope they reopen one day.

they are! i was making a joke about how dang long its taking to open this plaza back up!...but good news for you...the signage is already up and they are well underway! and the Voodoo Donuts location is next door to it i do believe and they are well underway as well! 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, gene said:

they are! i was making a joke about how dang long its taking to open this plaza back up!...but good news for you...the signage is already up and they are well underway! and the Voodoo Donuts location is next door to it i do believe and they are well underway as well! 

Great news. I used to live right there and would walk over quite often. I don't get around there as much as it is great to hear they are coming. I read about the Voodoo Donuts as well. I think they are taking over the old Radio Shack.

• Like 3

The Montrose Collective from high up above and from down below, photographing this project has been a learning experience for me as I watched how this structure was built, from the laying of its foundation to the rise of the steel superstructure, looking forward to its completion.

JGSzzLA.jpgeDITDGa.jpgBeQgEdQ.jpgdL8cCsa.jpg7bgPl1Q.jpgZo4xzt7.jpglSwPcbZ.jpg

Edited by cityliving
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Just now, phillip_white said:

Considering the lack of parking in the area, I'm guessing the neighborhood residents would say this is not enough.

During the input process from the community parking was a big issue, especially since it will have a public library in it. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, HouTXRanger said:

Is it just me, or is that parking garage oversized? Did they do more parking than they needed, or am I just seeing things?

If you have ever been to that area then you would know there is never enough parking! This parking garage will be a great asset to that area!

Edited by Fortune
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Fortune said:

If you have ever been to that area then you would know there is never enough parking! This parking garage will be a great asset to that area!

I suppose . . . the area is going through some tough times, from an infrastructure standpoint. The funds to rebuild lower Westheimer just got bumped, we'll be lucky if construction starts by 2030. Last thing the area needs is even more car traffic, but there aren't any good multimodal transportation options until Metro does the 82 line improvements and whenever the Montrose TIRZ finishes improving their walk/bike network . . . but who knows how long all that will take? 

I'd happily dump the parking for redone sidewalks along Westheimer but that's just me 🤷‍♂️

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Fortune said:

*rolls eyes*

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad this is a shared garage, but people complaining about parking in Houston is not going to get any less ridiculous any time soon. Even when I lived in Avondale, the absolute worst experience I had with parking was that I had to park a 5 minute walk away. Big freaking deal.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

On 8/7/2020 at 4:41 PM, Texasota said:

*rolls eyes*

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad this is a shared garage, but people complaining about parking in Houston is not going to get any less ridiculous any time soon. Even when I lived in Avondale, the absolute worst experience I had with parking was that I had to park a 5 minute walk away. Big freaking deal.

Per the Community Impact article last September:

In addition to Montrose Collective's two mixed-use buildings, Radom plans to construct a five-story, 580-space parking garage, which includes one basement level, Radom said. About 100 spaces will be open to the public, although that number is not finalized, and 25 will be free spaces for library patrons. The remaining spaces will be reserved for Montrose Collective visitors, Radom said.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3